Kia Forum banner

4WD failure, fault codes P1831 & P1832

61K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Beda 
#1 ·
Hello all, I would like to share with you my experience with not working 4WD at my Sorento (2013) :huh: I bought that car as used (1 owner) from a German seller. I tried to be thorough during car check. I even used my bluetooth OBD diagnostic adapter, did test drive (dry roads but low temperature at that day, bought during February). I pushed almost all buttons but not 4WD lock because I was just on dry road in foreign country (I'm from Czech Rep.) ... and it was the biggest mistake :crying:

Even I got a hint about some possible problem with 4WD during car check at our car technical station (in day of buying). I did not pay attention to serviceman comment that maybe 4WD is not working because he did not feel it on leaving from brakes testing drums. :unsure:

2 weeks later after car buying when snow came down again in our country I have confirmed words of serviceman ... 4WD was not working even when I pushed 4WD lock the rear wheels were not rotating during front wheels slipping on one place.

So I contacted local service for deeper check because as I said my OBD adapter was not able to load any pending fault code and any warning light on instrument cluster was not lighting. They did basic testing and read fault codes from 4WD system. Conclusion was 4WD coupling assy is damaged or transfer case problem etc., their diagnostic showed codes P1831 (Clutch thermal overstress warning) and P1832 (Clutch thermal overstress shutdown).

I searched for those codes on internet and got pointed on different webs where everything was pointing to damaged 4WD coupling. This video helped me to confirm my thought that coupling is KO. My feeling confirmed also easy wheels rotation when back of car was lifted up. At my old Sorento (2010) wheel gives some rotation resistance and I always heard some click/clack noise from propeller shaft probably because 4WD coupling is transferring even in switch off state some minimum moment.

Because seller started playing "dead fish" (Czech synonym to people which are not communicating) their answer was that I bought car with working 4WD so I was looking for repair alternatives. Kia service quoted repair approx. 2530$
Ebay price for complete coupling approx. 800$ same price at Korea shops. I decided to buy it from US - Ebay, total cost (incl. import tax) and some new screws (Koraps - Korea) was 980$. Another 189$ I paid for Kia GDS VCI module and Kia GDS SW for computer. It's cheap chinese copy of genuine Kia GDS diagnostic tool but it is working and I needed it for 4WD module reset after 4WD coupling replacement. And I also took it as future investment because when I will buy again some used Sorento or other Kia car I will be able to read fault codes from all modules not just from engine.

I already replaced coupling and oil in rear differential because I was not sure if heat from coupling did not cause oil degradation. Btw. I'm not sure how high temperature was there because there is not temperature sensor in 4WD coupling even if in control module were fault codes which mentioned overheating. Dealer explained me that it is calculated parametr from difference between some components (probably wheels) rotation.

Here is my short video how to diagnose damaged 4WD coupling

Lessons learned for you/me ... do not use 4WD lock at solid road surface but just at mud and snow or it can damage weak weld in coupling :huh:

Attachments

See less See more
2 4
#2 · (Edited)
Few more pictures:

Tips & tricks:
- during removing bolts connecting propeller shaft and clutch you will be probably able to remove 3 of total 4 bolts, 4th is inaccessible without shaft turning, to turn shaft you have to lift one front wheel
- to disconnect propeller shaft you need to release propeller shaft in middle too
- to separate clutch from rear differential you need crowbar, bar and hammer, on left there is some protrusion where to stick crowbar and on right use bar with hammer from back => slowly from side to side you can release stuck clutch
- bolts holding clutch can damage threads in differential body better to use new one
- for screws use something like LOCTITE Threadlocker

Attachments

#3 ·
Hmm

There seem to be a above average number of failures on that here in Canada as well. Mine is being replaced tomorrow at the dealer. Its under warranty. Maybe the learning was not done right from the start on the previous one. I'll have question to ask.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Well they're failing across the pond I see as well. The parts has to be poorly engineered.

They must be selling a lot of these units. I am about 25k into my 2nd coupler Touch wood it holds up longer than the first one did.

#10 ·
Hi David.

I had to lift even one front wheel (rear completely lifted) for free turning with propeller shaft (no 4WD engaged). I know about one case where 4WD was not working due to stripped spline on axle in front transaxle case where is connected propeller shaft :unsure:

Most probably you have right that propeller shaft is turning by rotation from rear wheels because there is still minimal friction in rear coupling, I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.