Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, my AC has been pretty bad lately, blowing hot air out of the passenger side and lukewarm air out of the driver's side. Just dropped it off at a Kia dealership, and they said my 2018 Sportage needs a particularly expensive type of refrigerant. I was quoted over $400 for a system test and then replacement, if needed. Does that sound right? I can't find much information on the type of refrigerant needed for the system.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,742 Posts
Yes, the new Freon is big money. The new stuff is called A 1234. Look it up, a 10# cylinder cost 600 to 700 dollars.

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
188 Posts
Hey y'all, my AC has been pretty bad lately, blowing hot air out of the passenger side and lukewarm air out of the driver's side. Just dropped it off at a Kia dealership, and they said my 2018 Sportage needs a particularly expensive type of refrigerant. I was quoted over $400 for a system test and then replacement, if needed. Does that sound right? I can't find much information on the type of refrigerant needed for the system.
2018 Kia Sportage
Warranty: 5 yr/60,000 mi basic, 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain
I'd say that makes it KIA's expense ?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2018 Kia Sportage
Warranty: 5 yr/60,000 mi basic, 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain
I'd say that makes it KIA's expense ?
Unfortunately we're over 60K :(. We bought it used from Hertz so it already had some mileage on it. On top of that, we've been road tripping for a month and we've logged some more heavy mileage. Thanks for this though, that's a good call out.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the new Freon is big money. The new stuff is called A 1234. Look it up, a 10# cylinder cost 600 to 700 dollars.
Alright. Guess we're just gonna have to bite the bullet here. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
800 Posts
I'd want to know where the original refrigerant went before putting $400 worth of new refrigerant into the car!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed, this wasn't the first place to tell us the levels were low but we didn't have time to keep them in the shop to have the fluid replace. The place that fixed it today (it's fixed now and much better) said when they went to refill the fluid, the caps were not screwed on tightly. There's a chance someone tried to drain it in the past to look for a leak or something and then forgot to refill. Not sure, but very annoying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts