Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
303 Posts
I have experienced this before. The blinking 4WD light is a malfunction indicator that comes from the Transmission Control Moduel (TCM). The TCM is continuously monitoring the driver demand for power (i.e. how far you press the pedel), as well as wheel speed and steering wheel angle (if I remember correctly) in order to determine the level of torque split between front and rear wheels. If one of those inputs is outside of expected parameters, then the TCM will start the 4WD light blinking and attempt to put the car into limp mode.

My problem was an issue with the throttle position sensor not supplying the correct voltage for the amount of air flowing into the engine (i.e. TPS voltage changes as you push or release the throttle). A 2WD car woud not have had a problem (no 4WD TCM), but as the 4WD system monitors throttle position, the voltage output by the TPS was not within the limits expected by the TCM - thus problem.

Of course, the problem could be any of the inputs to the TCM. Take a look here at www.kiatechinfo.com. Select the year and model vehicle, then look up transfer system.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Under the dash is the TCM. It has a plug going to it. I assume that you can just pull the plug. I have not tried it myself, so I am not sure if the ECU will detect that it has been disconnected. Having said that, the ECU and TCM are connected for data transfer.

I tried to upload a picture, but each time I selected manage attachment, IE went blank. The picture with the location of the TCM is at kiatechinfo.com, under sportage 2005, DTC, G2.7 DOHC Driveshaft > 4WD Control
P1728, General information. It is also most likely located in other locations as well.

This is the link, but you will have to log in https://www.kiatechinfo.com/TechnicalInformation/Viewer/default.asp?title_num=8&menu_type=1_1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help,i cant get into that link to get a picture giving me a idea of what im looking for.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Finally got the picture of the TCM uploaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Only if the TPS is faulty. Check the voltage range for the TPS, from memory it is from about 0.4v closed to 4.8v wide open, though the site I mentioned above has the actual specs. If this is in spec, then the problem is somewhere else.

My situation was a bit different, as I had fitted a larger diameter throttle body, thus for the same angel of opening (and thus the same throttle position), I had more airflow. The TCM saw this as a fault, and put the car into limp mode. Ironically, at wide open throttle (open loop control - where the ECU reads from a map rather tan monitor O2 levels for closed loop), the problem goes away. Bit hard to drive at WOT all the time though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts