Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help! I'm new to 4x4s and recently picked up an r reg KIA sportage 2.0 petrol glx drives great etc well pleased with it but i didn't check 4 wheel drive when i bought it and i put it in to 4 wheel high and low today only went like 50 feet and there's a kind of metal grinding noise coming from under the gearbox area i think sounds awful but goes when back in 2 wheel? any help/advice will be appreciated?

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Someone more knowledgable than I should chime in soon. In the meantime some more detail will aid in the troubleshooting:

What year is your sporty?

Auto or Manual transmission?

What kind of terrain did you engage 4wd on? (dirt, gravel, wet pavment, etc.) - Don't know how new to 4x4s you are, but incase you didn't know - 4wd is different from AWD and should not be used on dry pavement.

Have you checked to see if you have enough (or any) oil in your transfer case and front differential?

·
Registered
Kia Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate thanks for the quick reply. My first 4x4 so very new. I haven't checked any of the things you mentioned i just engaged on dry flat ground and drove it about 2 mph forward and back and it made which can only be described as a metal grinding type noise its a manual 1997 year. Where do I look to check what you mentioned?

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Hi mate thanks for the quick reply. My first 4x4 so very new. I haven't checked any of the things you mentioned i just engaged on dry flat ground and drove it about 2 mph forward and back and it made which can only be described as a metal grinding type noise its a manual 1997 year. Where do I look to check what you mentioned?

If you were on a dry paved road, that could be the problem. IIRC, the front and rear wheels turn at different speeds when in 4WD which is why you don't want to use it on a dry paved road (it'll damage your 4wd).

I'd try 4wd again on a dirt or gravel road. If it doesn't grind you're golden, if it still grinds there is definately a problem with the 4wd.

The oil levels are checked underneath the vehicle:

Front differential is located where your front axles & front drive shaft meet.

Transfer case is located at the back end of the front driveshaft in front of the transmission.

On both you should see what looks like 2 drain plugs. The lower one is the drain plug and the upper one is the fill plug.

To check the oil levels, remove the FILL plug and stick a finger in the hole to feel for oil. The oil level should be up to the the bottom of the fill hole.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
+1 With Woff 7669 > Also check tire size , make sure they are all the same size.
Also check the u joints on the front drive shaft it only turns when the 4 wheel is engaged.
A couple of easy checks and hope the help.
chief

1 - 6 of 6 Posts