Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am interested in buying the car.The owner's manual says if you drive 4wh on hard
surfaces for a prolonged time you might over heat the tranmission oil and harm the tranmission.Does any know the definition of prolonged time?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Depends which transfer box is fitted.

I'm guessing the part time system, really it shouldn't be used in high grip conditions, if full time 4WD is important to you, perhaps consider opting for the full time ATT transfer box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MY SELF I WOULD NOT USE 4 WHEEL DRIVE DURING THE SUMMER.BUT I WOULD USE IT ON AND OFF FOR 500 MILES THROUGH THE SUMMER .
SO IT DONT GET TIGHT OR HAVE SOMETHING SEIZE UP.BUT IN THE WINTER I WOULD NOT BE AFRAID TO USE IT ON SLIPPERY CONDITIONS.JUST DONT USE IT AROUND TOWN ON BARE SURFACES OR TIGHT CONERS.
YOU WILL FEEL IT WANTING TO PULL ON THE STEERING WHEEL ON CLEAR SURFACES.JUST USE IT ON AND OFF YEARLY AND YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS.IF IT WAS A SNOW PACKED ROAD I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT DRIVING IT FOR 60 T0 70 MILES.AND THAT ALSO APPLIES FOR SLUSHY CONDITIONS AS WELL.BUT UNLOCK IT ON THE BARE SPOTS.

HOPE THIS INFORMATION HAS BEEN HELPFUL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Never use a 4wd with out a center differential on the road (like the Sorentos part time system). It will damage the drive train and will cost you a lot to repair.

If you must have 4wd on a road then go for the Sorento with the Auto 4wd system (or Jeep Liberty, Toyota Land Crusier and others).

You may use a part time system on the road when conditions are really bad like snow or flooding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts