Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3rd gen kia rio mileage/maintnence thread/cost

post what has needed repair and at what mileage on your 3rd gen kia rio .

post any red flags or repairs you know are definitely needed by a certain mileage .

we just bought a 2014 kia rio hatch with 8795 miles on it .the carfax shows it has had 2 oil changes so far with the previous owner and the third is due at 10,500.
so far no issues to report but we only have it maybe 2 weeks .been getting 29-30 mpg on the instrument panel mileage counter .
doing a real count now and will post my results by end of weekend .

i have read some horror stories about timing belts and total engine demolition if you fail to change it at the suggested time . these were older rio`s .

anyone know if the same goes for the 3rd gen?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey ,it be nice if you could post what it cost you to get things repaired .
like if you had the dealer replace your timing belt, what did that cost?
how much were oil changes at the dealer?
brakes?
ect,ect,..thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so today i ran the rio down until the gas light came on . went and filled up . it took 9.3 gallons to fill . we went 291 miles. doing the math that comes to 31.29 miles per gallon . pretty much spot on with the odometer gauge readings .
we are outside the city and most our driving is rural roads and routes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
2012 Rio does not have a timing belt .
Has a Timing Chain.
I have 27000 Kilometers after 32 Months & only issue is a persistant Dashboard rattle.
Other than that & a quite firm ride due to 17" Wheels on SX model I love this car:).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hhmm i gotta do some research then .i wonder if my 2014 would have a timing chain then?
would be nice if it did .dont like the idea of a belt .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
2014 does have a chain.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yeah i went looking .glad it has a chain ,but will still need replacement if i want to retain my warranty coverage .
Why would it need replacement. Are you having some kind of problem with it? I don't see a mileage or time requirement in the factory manual for timing chain replacement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would it need replacement. Are you having some kind of problem with it? I don't see a mileage or time requirement in the factory manual for timing chain replacement.
no ,no issue , havent looked in my manual yet , i been over reading it .based this on what others were posting but they had older year cars .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There are considerable differences/improvements from the older Hyundai/Kia vehicles to the latest generation. Even going from 2G to 3G. I don't think info on the issues/problems of the earlier vehicles would be of much (if any) relevance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
yeah i went looking .glad it has a chain ,but will still need replacement if i want to retain my warranty coverage .
Timing chains are what have been used in cars/trucks for a long time and usually don't need changed as a maintenance item. Timing belts however do need changed as like other belts they are made of rubber and will stretch, crack, and etc. over time.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Timing chains are what have been used in cars/trucks for a long time and usually don't need changed as a maintenance item. Timing belts however do need changed as like other belts they are made of rubber and will stretch, crack, and etc. over time.
But chains do have guides and tensioners and will ultimately need maintenance though not as often as belts do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are considerable differences/improvements from the older Hyundai/Kia vehicles to the latest generation. Even going from 2G to 3G. I don't think info on the issues/problems of the earlier vehicles would be of much (if any) relevance.
The 1G Rios were the first car kia built on their own and were absolute rubbish. I owned one for 12 months and still shudder at the thought of opening the bonnet yet again.
(1G platform is junked when 2G appeared, nothing was carried over thankfully)

2G appeared when Hyundai took ownership and shared the platform and running gear with Accent, which isn't a bad thing.

3G still shared with the accent.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The 1G Rios were the first car kia built on their own and were absolute rubbish. I owned one for 12 months and still shudder at the thought of opening the bonnet yet again.
(1G platform is junked when 2G appeared, nothing was carried over thankfully)

2G appeared when Hyundai took ownership and shared the platform and running gear with Accent, which isn't a bad thing.

3G still shared with the accent.
Yes, the 2G was a considerable improvement over the 1G. I see many of those still on the road. The 3G drive train is completely different from the 2G.

·
Registered
184 Posts
An acquaintance of mine has a 1G and he loves that thing, and won't part with it. Personally I think it is a pile of crap, but then to each their own.

Pat.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so i got my first free oil change from the ford dealer where i purchased the rio . i asked what the cost of future oil changes would be and they said 34.99 and you get a motorcraft filter and a semi synthetic oil .and a multipoint vehicle check ,top off fluids ect... for 39.99 you get that and a tire rotation .

they set the oil change at 5000 miles .which i am fine with .

now the question stands

should i keep going where i bought the car for oil changes and maintenance?(bought a extended warranty there) or go to kia??

you think if i had a engine problem kia would try to weasel out saying i didnt use their kia oil filter?
i figure if push come to shove i bought a warranty there so "they" should cover me .

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would keep going to Ford, but do some research on their oil filters. Worst case, and if I was you, I would bring your own Kia filter, you are still coming out on top.

If something happens to the engine, warranty is covered. They would need to prove that the failure was a result of lack of maintenance or failure of a non Kia part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it will cost me 180.00$ to get the belt replaced,400.00$ for knew brakes,up to 52,000km.these have reliable engines,shift under 3500 rpm,stay at 65 mph ,change your oil,the rust will kill it before the engine dies guarenteed,this is in no way a race car,respect it ,it will respect you.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
it will cost me 180.00$ to get the belt replaced,400.00$ for knew brakes,
What belt?? These engines have timing chains, not belts. If someone is charging you $180 to change the serpentine belt or $400 for new brakes, you are being fleeced.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
just had the 15k mile oil change/tire rotation done (at the ford dealer..lol) 39.99 and a free car wash .
no issues to report . dealer says they use a conventional/synthetic mix oil .the motorcraft filter is superior to the kia filter i think .

It has a threaded-end bypass valve.

The advantage of a threaded-end bypass is that the oil doesn't have to wash over the dirt-laden element before entering the valve unfiltered... which is why Ford specifies a threaded-end bypass valve for its oil filters.

The Motorcraft also has larger baseplate openings, and appears to be optimized for flow.
(taken from a oil research website )(kia uses a end of filter relief valve which is not optimal)if you want to see and hear about the differences watch this video .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANmG5PXWMg

i done this research when deciding to keep going to ford where we bought the car

these kia`s have pretty thin paint ,got a couple rock chips already and you can see how thin the paint is .

the windshield has taken a few good pebble hits and seems to be holding up well .i swear we have taken more windshield hits with the new car in a few short months then we did in 2 1/2 years of owning the saturn we traded .

1 - 20 of 129 Posts