Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2019 Sorento S V6 on December 9. I now have 3000 miles on it and am liking it even more as time goes by. Here are some thoughts after 3000 miles.

I really like this engine and transmission. Much sportier than the Equinox V6 that I had before. I wish that it had paddle shifters. I shift it myself sometimes for the fun of it. I like that the transmission will stay in gear so that engine breaking will occur, sort of like a manual. Whenever I'm entering a high speed road or freeway, I hit the button for Sport mode and then hit the gas. That V6 gets the job done (as well as 290 hp. can with 4100 lbs. to haul.) It's not lacking when I need to go. While on the topic of engine and transmission, I do have the stuttering or pulsing transmission problem. But it was never very bad and it's getting better as the miles pile up. It is barely noticeable now. I can easily live with it as is and hope that it continues to progress.

My 'S' trim is in Snow White and has those black wheels. I really like that color combination. That paint looks terrific, IMO. The Snow White is an upgrade paint but I have it because it was end-of-year and it was on the lot and the price was decent. I wouldn't normally spring for extra cost paint.

I wasn't expecting much from the OE Kumho Crugen Premium tires (as most OE tires are crap) but these are decent tires in my opinion. They are 'H' rated 55 series tires. I only had them out in snow once this winter but they did well. I was in 3 to 4 inches of virgin snow and went to a few hills and stopped in the middle of the hills and then started right up, no problem. I also really like that the car has the ability to (electronically) lock a center diff. which will send 50% power to the front and back, up to a certain speed. Will I need that ability very often? No. But I like knowing that I have it.

I find the vehicle to be comfortable. The build quality is very high for this price range, I think. I like that the Sorento does not have engine 'stop/start' or cylinder deactivation. I'm not real keen on CVTs either. I like the blind side warning system and the reverse cross traffic warning. Sort of glad that it doesn't have lane keep and some of that other stuff. I've been driving more than 50 years and just don't need some of the newer gadgets. This car really gives me what I want and not what I don't want.

I'm not much for 'infotainment', but I like how this system works. When I plug the phone in for Android Auto and hit the 'Media' button in the car, I'm immediately connected. It all works well and is intuitive, in my opinion. I just wish that my trim had Sirius XM. I miss that.

I did my first oil change last week. It went well considering the 17 bolts that need to be removed to get the under engine cover off. But that cover does keep everything very clean under there. I thought I could use and adjustable wrench for the 27 mm filter housing, but no such luck. There wasn't much room to turn the wrench so I was only moving the housing a few hairs at a time. So I took my wife's car and ran out to get a 27mm socket to finish the job.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this car. It's a good size, although if it were a hair smaller I would be OK. It's not as much fun as the GTI that I had, but it's way more fun than the Equinox. It looks good, runs well and does pretty much everything I need it to. I still look forward to driving it.

Hope this helps someone who may be looking.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
163 Posts
I agree with what you noted. Today was the first time I really step on it as I enter the highway, man oh man, for such a heavy car, I can't be happier with the more than adequate power it has, not the mention the sexy engine roar which honestly reminded me of my old BMW 535i that I had. That being said, I am also experiencing the same pulsating feeling at light acceleration, which I honestly am unsure if it's engine or transmission related. Yes, I am feeling it less at times, but certainly feel it, especially while the engine is still not at full operating temperature. Maybe it's still pulsating the same and we're just used to it? Who knows. I just hope this does not translate into a big headache moving forward.

Mine is the "roll-up windows" basic trim, the LX, I have to say I am very happy with what comes standard on a base trim, and yes that infotainment system with standard Android auto is truly beautiful, I can't see myself without it now and it's only been 2 weeks

I am just under 1k miles as we speak, and so far have nothing but positive things to say about my experience thus far

My wife and I needed a family hauler that was not a minivan, I did very careful research of all options available to us and realized that with the Sorento we were getting exactly what we needed without breaking the bank

I started looking for "unsold" 2019 models from last year knowing I can negotiate a little more on a 2019 than a 2020 model. I found 1 dealer in Miami shockingly sitting on 5 or 6, sticker price was around $32k. I did some more research and found out that KIA had a $7k rebate on any unsold 2019 Sorento, which I took advantage of, plus I was pre-approved with my own financing walking into the dealer so was able to bring it down an additional $3000 if I drove off with it the same day. This brought my cost $10k below sticker ($22k) with tax, tag, title, and the GAP insurance I went up to $25k and change.

I bought it on February 20th, 12 or so days ago, as of today it has just under 1000 miles, and I couldn't be happier

Yes, I am still bumping heads with the dealer to get my rotors swapped out, but for the kind of savings I got on the car I don't mind bumping heads until I get this resolved.

Happy 3k miles brother, wishing you a million more healthy miles to come!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Happy 3k miles brother, wishing you a million more healthy miles to come!"

Thanks, and the same to you, dad! I can't get myself to call you Superfat :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
"Happy 3k miles brother, wishing you a million more healthy miles to come!"

Thanks, and the same to you, dad! I can't get myself to call you Superfat :)
Haha, well, my little girls call me that so I actually enjoy it.. my name is Tim by the way... Superfat Tim

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Tim. That's better. I'm Wheeler, but you can call me Wheels. I got that nickname back in junior high school.

·
Registered
163 Posts
OK Tim. That's better. I'm Wheeler, but you can call me Wheels. I got that nickname back in junior high school.
Nice meeting you Wheels

Keep us updated with your car's progress as you accumulate miles, all good news I hope!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
14K and counting and no major issues, just a few minor quirks here and there, couldn't be much happier! I do miss the cargo space of my old 2003 Durango (and that v8 sound) but not that 14mpg! Overall average is 21+, low is about ≈18 & high ≈25+. I really like the manual mode here in N. GA., paddles would be better, maybe next time!:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm right there behind you Wheels

2000 happy miles in 30 days and counting.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Tim, you are catching up. You'll pass me soon at that rate.

I'm retired now but still drive about 15,000 miles a year. But with the current situation, I'm not driving much at all. Be as careful as you can out there in your travels. Also, glad you're liking the Sorento. I really like mine and am disappointed that I can't use it much currently. But we gotta do what we gotta do.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Tim, you are catching up. You'll pass me soon at that rate.

I'm retired now but still drive about 15,000 miles a year. But with the current situation, I'm not driving much at all. Be as careful as you can out there in your travels. Also, glad you're liking the Sorento. I really like mine and am disappointed that I can't use it much currently. But we gotta do what we gotta do.

Glad to hear you're safe, we have not seen you online in a few days

Stay safe my friend. This will pass soon

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I check the forum multiple times each day but don't often reply. If I have no interest, or anything helpful to add to a thread, then I move on. But I'm here everyday.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,854 Posts

Stay safe my friend. This will pass soon
I check the forum multiple times each day but don't often reply. If I have no interest, or anything helpful to add to a thread, then I move on. But I'm here everyday.
Hover over the user name and it will show "last seen".

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can understand that. Especially these days almost no new Sorento posts at all.

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2019
17 Posts
I’m glad to hear most of your ou are happy with your Sorento. Wish I could say the same but I can’t. Wife and I hate the car because of the hesitation/throttle response. Don’t know if our car is an early 19 or not, window sticker was conveniently lost at dealership. Neither of us have any confidence that the car will accelerate when entering traffic. I’ve tried ethanol free gas and using the “sport” mode, makes no difference. Car is 6 months old and just sits in driveway, dealership wants nothing to do with it, they see nothing wrong. Beautiful car, decked out nice but a horror to drive!
I can understand that. Especially these days almost no new Sorento posts at all.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,854 Posts
I’m glad to hear most of your ou are happy with your Sorento. Wish I could say the same but I can’t. Wife and I hate the car because of the hesitation/throttle response. Don’t know if our car is an early 19 or not, window sticker was conveniently lost at dealership. Neither of us have any confidence that the car will accelerate when entering traffic. I’ve tried ethanol free gas and using the “sport” mode, makes no difference. Car is 6 months old and just sits in driveway, dealership wants nothing to do with it, they see nothing wrong. Beautiful car, decked out nice but a horror to drive!
I have a source to get PDF's of both my Ford's window stickers, and I'm sure if you ask around you'd be able to find it.

Have you involved Kia Corp. ?

I haven't come across many complaints such as yours for this model, which leads me to believe its not common, so should be a sign that it can and should be resolved.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts