Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage Platinum 2.0ltr Turbo DIESEL
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Got a question, my 2011 kia sportage is getting serviced for its 30,000km and i have just been contacted by kia that i need to change my front brake pads and rotors. Now i have only had the car for less than two years and i haven't been driving my sportage as if i was drift king or as if i am ib fast and furious or anything.

So my question is, has anyone else got this problem like i do, because 30,000km shouldn't have ruined my rotors aswell as my brake pads can it? Or is kia just trying to squeeze more money out of me? The service is already costing $400 and now they want me to replace my front brake pads (both) and my rotors (both) for $600+ supplied and fitted.

If i was to get kia to change them would this mean i'd have to change them again in another 30,000km? Doesn't sound right to me.

Any feedback on this issue would help guys.

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
ive never been back to kia but the tire shop that changes my winter wheels too summer ones told me last year I needed new front pads . again 6 months later he told me the same thing . I have 48000 klm on mine and baby the brakes as im cheap . i went to parts store, pads are $70 . I will get some soon and change them . it quite easy to do them your self

·
Registered
396 Posts
i must add im hopeing aftermarket pads may be of higher quality than the kia pads. ive been told the traction control system is hard on the brakes as the computer applys the brakes . also the stability control as well . also being a non petrol engine your motor might weigh 30% more thus wearing out brakes faster than gasoline powered kias. just an idea .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But did you ever have to replace rotors? I mean i can understand pads but rotors going at this stage of the cars life?

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
usually only replace rotors when you don't service the pads quick enough and they score the rotors.

·
Registered
396 Posts
rotors

I recall someone on here saying the rotors on thier kia rondo were worn out at 20 000 klm but the brake pads were ok . I had allways thought rotors lasted longer than quite a few sets of brake pads . at work I here storys of people needing new rotors within the first two years on all different makes of cars . electronic stability control is now mandatory on all new cars sold in Canada . some have the theory that's why brakes seem to be wearing faster now days . the tire shop guy claims my calipers are dragging and wearing out my pads . I was told I need calipers as well . my cars just over two years old as well ... the pads on my Honda civic 2003 where still over 50% after 140 000 klm the rears looked near new [drums]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh its weird and very costly to kia owners i believe. I just checked out my sportage and yes my rotors and pads are quite worn. So now i am looking tk replace them with aftermartket rotors and pads. Most likely going with the hard pads as they do not produce too much brake dust. And hopefully lasts longer than 30,000km.

This is one thing that vvehicle manufactures will be making money on, weae and tear items like this that isnt covered under warranty.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Just had my 45k service and the pads and rotors are deemed fine. But I have had pad wear issues on other cars at low km, too.

Slow down, coud be the easy answer. Amazing how longer things last when they are treated nicely.

·
Registered
Sportage Platinum 2.4L Petrol AWD Auto
15 Posts
Don't believe a word of it...

I was told my pads were half worn at the 15km service and would need replacing soon, I just ignored, laughed at them and walked away.

I just replaced my front and rears myself at 39km for the first time (they would have gone for another 15k at least easily). I don't believe in machining rotors either, just replace pads when needed ...then replace rotors when needed.

Tip: Do not trust any service centre ...verify everything yourself if possible first.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Same issue here - totally chewing through pads/rotors.
I've ordered aftermarket pads and rotors - front will be heavy duty rotors, rear OEM for ~$600 delivered. Going to fit everything myself & we'll see how it goes.
We've just had the 75K service and have been told front rotors/pads need replacing again (i.e this will be the THIRD set). Hopefully the aftermarket stuff (DBA 4000 Heavy Duty rotors and Remsa pads) will last better than the OEM.......

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Possible environmental factors come into play - wind-blown sand, salt air near the sea, generally humid conditions, etc., but the usual reason is how the vehicle is operated. I have 25,000 miles on mine (40234KM). The dealer changes the oil as part of the sales agreement, and they always provide brake pad thickness measurements. Pad wear is completely normal, and I don't expect to have to replace any brake parts before I trade it back in 2016. But that's on a USA car - cars shipped to other countries may be under different rules as to types of brake friction material allowable. Some brake pads are more abrasive than others and cause more rotor wear.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
All true. Where we live however there is minimal wind-blown sand, no salt air, humidity has been virtually non-existent for last couple of years (living in a drought in the driest continent on Earth...) and the driving conditions are VERY mild. Minimal stop-start traffic, long commutes with prolonged continuous driving and STILL pathetic pad/rotor life. My other car (VW Golf/Rabbit) essentially travels the same route as the Kia and has approximately 50% wear on pads/rotors after 90000Km!!!!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I replaced my pads front, & back, at 40k miles,,, just caught them in time! :eek:
Rotors were fine. I tried AutoZones Best Gold Ceramics, reasonable, & better stopping then stock pads! Plus, they're guaranteed forever if they wear out!

keep your reciept.

On my previous 2010 Tucson, at about the same mileage, replaced them just in time with NAPA's Best Gold Ceramic pads,,, IMO, Not as good as stock, or the AutoZone's pads, plus more expensive. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts