Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on kiamotors.com that the Carnival has now got a 3.8ltr V6 which has some pretty impressive performance stats, what do you think the chances of a future Optima model getting this upgrade? though im quite happy with the current V6 but 3.8ltrs just sounds good :)

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have heard the 06 Optima will have an upgraded 4 cylinder. It wont have an upgraded 6 cylinder until 07.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 04Sorento@Mar 1 2005, 08:14 PM
I have heard the 06 Optima will have an upgraded 4 cylinder. It wont have an upgraded 6 cylinder until 07.
Thankgod for that... dont you hate it when you buy a new car and a few months later they bring out a even better version... in Australia we dont get the 4 cylinder model, i cant imagine buying one anyway considering how much a Optima weighs the 4 cylinder would struggle up hills wouldnt it?

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
The 2.4L 4 cylinder does not struggle a bit. It has quite a bit of power for a 4 cylinder. I was impressed.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Magentis
23 Posts
I have a 2.0l 2003 magentis 4cyl manual I have no problems at all and thats even with living in the Lake District here in the UK. Plenty of hills and winding roads!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read the next Optima/Magentis will be getting either a revised 2.7l V6 or the 3.5l V6 from the Amati... It will get the new 2.4l 4cyl with 162hp for sure though.

For those that don't know the Optima is based on the Hyundai Sonata and the new Sonata comes out this month in the US.... www.hyundaisonata.com
This time around the Optima reportedly won't share V6s with the Sonata to make them a little more different from each other.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If kia does put a bigger engine in the optima there has been speculation of the 3.3L that Hyundi uses but i wouldnt expect them to change any time soon with the performance that the new2.7L puts out

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
Originally posted by justfona@Apr 21 2005, 05:05 PM
I have a 2.0l 2003 magentis 4cyl manual I have no problems at all and thats even with living in the Lake District here in the UK. Plenty of hills and winding roads!
I hear that the older Optima 4 cylinder does well and that the new more powerful 4 cylinder is a good performer and very refined. I have the 178 hp V6 in my '02 Optima and I have allowed friends to drive her at times. One has a Honda Accord V6, another a Saturn V6, and a Camry V6 (not sure of the years, sorry). Any ways, the general comments are that my car has a great ride, handles nicely, love the quiet interiors, smooth automatic and really good performance from the engine. I agree on all counts. Perhaps the new Optima will get a bigger engine in the fall as reported in Korea Times last month. Rather or not it will come to the U.S. was not mentioned.

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
Originally posted by Nismo@May 5 2005, 07:27 PM
I've read the next Optima/Magentis will be getting either a revised 2.7l V6 or the 3.5l V6 from the Amati... It will get the new 2.4l 4cyl with 162hp for sure though.

For those that don't know the Optima is based on the Hyundai Sonata and the new Sonata comes out this month in the US.... www.hyundaisonata.com
This time around the Optima reportedly won't share V6s with the Sonata to make them a little more different from each other.
According to Autoweek's quote of May 9, 2006, the new Optima is not sharing the Sonata platform at all. I have the full article elsewheres in this specific Optima forum if you want to read it. Here's the Autoweek quote: "The new Optima is more plush, more powerful, more refined and a little larger than the previous-generation sedan. Kia executives say the redesigned Optima was created on a platform engineered by Kia and has nothing in common with a similarly priced vehicle, the Hyundai Sonata."

I like the idea that Kia and Hyundai are moving away from exactly copies of each other models. This gives Kia designers a chance to tweak out their own unique looks while still sharing techologies like drive trains and some parts too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there a source for that info on the 3.3? I'd be a bit cheezed if I bought a 2006.5 and a better V6 came out in less than a year.

·
Registered
Magentis EX-L company Car, Mazda MX-5
33 Posts
Short answer is no, the 2.5 litre goes just as hard as Mazda 6 2.3 litre 4 cylinder.

Im driving one at the moment, and its great. Also the new Magentis has the 5 speed auto, so its on par with the outgoing 2.7 litre V6 for acceleration, but its more frugal at the bowser.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts