Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Borrego made me smile today. :D

It has 85K of pretty much trouble free miles... but lately I've been noticing a slight sluggishness with the throttle response. It just didn't seem to have the same pick-up when I initially hit the gas. So I bought a $4 bottle of throttle body cleaner spray and decided to clean it out. Quite frankly, I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but better late then never. This is a simple procedure. You just need a phillips screwdriver, the correct cleaner (it is cheap), and some good quality lint free rags. Kia couldn't have put this in an easier location to get it. With the engine stopped, just take the rubber elbow off to access the opening and butterfly valve. This can be pushed open on the top half tho clean. The opening is actually big enough for your hands, but I used a screw driver wrapped in the rag. Use one end of rag to push open, spray it down good, then wipe clean. You want to get both sides of the butterfly valve and all around it. I used a screw driver to push the damp rag several inches past the valve. It may take a few extra cranks to start, but it starts running smoothly quickly.

I was pleasantly surprised that all the sluggishness was gone. Realize that this doesn't add horsepower, but it restores the peppiness. The best way I can describe it is as if the Borrego just drank a stiff shot of coffee. I'm going to make this a more frequent routine from now on.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
My Borrego made me smile today. :D

It has 85K of pretty much trouble free miles... but lately I've been noticing a slight sluggishness with the throttle response. It just didn't seem to have the same pick-up when I initially hit the gas. So I bought a $4 bottle of throttle body cleaner spray and decided to clean it out. Quite frankly, I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but better late then never. This is a simple procedure. You just need a phillips screwdriver, the correct cleaner (it is cheap), and some good quality lint free rags. Kia couldn't have put this in an easier location to get it. With the engine stopped, just take the rubber elbow off to access the opening and butterfly valve. This can be pushed open on the top half tho clean. The opening is actually big enough for your hands, but I used a screw driver wrapped in the rag. Use one end of rag to push open, spray it down good, then wipe clean. You want to get both sides of the butterfly valve and all around it. I used a screw driver to push the damp rag several inches past the valve. It may take a few extra cranks to start, but it starts running smoothly quickly.

I was pleasantly surprised that all the sluggishness was gone. Realize that this doesn't add horsepower, but it restores the peppiness. The best way I can describe it is as if the Borrego just drank a stiff shot of coffee. I'm going to make this a more frequent routine from now on.
Hey, thanks for sharing. I had no idea it would be so easy. You noted you used throttle body cleaner spray? Any particular brand?

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brand I used was CRC, but as long as you use one that is designed for the throttle body, you are fine. It should say it right on it and they are all cheap. It evaporates quickly and leaves little residue. Here is some more details from a reputable source. They make a point of not using carb cleaner.:

Cleaning Engine Throttle Bodies

·
Registered
293 Posts
The brand I used was CRC, but as long as you use one that is designed for the throttle body, you are fine. It should say it right on it and they are all cheap. It evaporates quickly and leaves little residue. Here is some more details from a reputable source. They make a point of not using carb cleaner.:

Cleaning Engine Throttle Bodies
Thanks. I only have 42k miles, but it looks like an easy enough maintenance chore.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks. I only have 42k miles, but it looks like an easy enough maintenance chore.
I did the cleaning yesterday. It took about 20 mins. It took me a few minutes to realize the easiest way to remove the hose/ducting was to unclamp the air filter box and the one screw that held the ducting in place. After I figured that out, the rest was a piece of cake. It had some build up, but not too bad as I only had 42k miles on it. But it was nice to see it cleaned without all the gunk on it.

·
Registered
09 Borrego EX, 2012 Forte EX, 2013 Optima EX
4 Posts
+1 to Smuook

After following your advice on the differential fluid I decided to give the throttle body a good cleaning as well. I agree, the location is very good and the entire job was very easy. Around 45 min tops from start to finish. At start up the engine did spurt a little but quickly went to normal idle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts