Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2003
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, About to embark on changing the timing belt and water pump on my 3.5L Petrol 2003 Sorento EX for the first time since I bought it.

I bought a Gates timing belt kit which includes a water pump (and gasket), hydraulic tensioner, as well as the tensioner and idler pulleys. It also includes a crankshaft seal and 4 camshaft seals.

I've been looking around an guides and videos on the timing belt and water pump replacement and I haven't seen anyone talk about changing these seals. WHich is strange since they seem to be included in virtually every timing belt kit.

My questions are, if don't have any oil leaks, should I worry about changing these seals? If anyone has changes these seals before, is it much additional work? Do I just remove the camshaft sprokets and the seals will just pop out or is it more involved than that? Do you have to drain the sump before opening these seals (I assume yes for the crank seal at least).

I don't mind doing it, just figure if these seals are not prone to failure then why bother? Then again I have the engine apart so I might as well?

Thanks for your advice =)

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
878 Posts
It's not an easy job to change those seals. If they are not leaking my vote is to avoid the headache. But, do change out the other parts. You purchased a top shelf repair kit. Good luck!

Reactions: nstoolman1

·
Registered
Sorento 2003
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't forget the new crankshaft bolt.
Check!

Got that one ready too, as well as new genuine cam and crank sensors =)

Getting stuck into it this weekend. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and this bloody thing runs well for a good while after this, haha!

·
Registered
Sorento 2003
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got about hal;f way through the job today. I am concerned I might have botched it already though =/

When removing the belt I noticed that the timing was actually out by about 2-3 teeth, which I was not surprised about, whoever worked on this vehicle last did not do a good job.

Anyway I needed to fix the alignement, so I aligned and locked the cams with the timing marks, all good no issue there.

Then when rotating the crank clockwise to get the timing mark around to aling there, it got stiff after about a half turn, I thought it was just a tight part so kept going, not using heaps of force but a bit. Then I heard a faint "click" from the engine.. I went back the other direction to get the timing mark on the crank to align, which it is now. But I'm worried I've bent a valve..

What do you guys think, have I botched it?

·
Registered
Sorento 2003
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well im about finished with the job, ready to reassemble.

What's the easiest way to hold the crankshaft so I can torque down the crank bolt? Ive read removiing the starter or using rope in a cylinder, but surely there's a better way?

Mine's an auto 3.5.

Cheers

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,854 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts