Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is after 11 refills so far, 90% in city. Don't know if the mid dip was winter grade, now summer seems to be better?

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Warmer weather will do it. I'm not sure if they've switched away from winter gas yet, but back in the fall when I first put it in, it killed my gas mileage.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
My gas mileage has been improving lately (Michigan). My daily commute was taking 5/8 of a tank, now I'm only using just over 1/2 tank over the same route. Hopefully it will continue improving as it gets warmer! Warmer air is also better for fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
761 Posts
Did you have winter tires on and switched to summer tires?

I believe those can reduce mileage also.

Switched mine a little while ago...had no choice. A screw very near the sidewall of one tire with, luckily, a very very slow leak.

I bought my winter tires at Kal Tire. Had them switched over to summers. They guarantee tires...not labour,though. Paid $40 for a new replacement. They threw in free summer storage for the winters. I don't normally do that but took them up on it. Saved me a few trips back and forth. I'm not affliated with them but I would give them my recommendation on the above average service and competitive prices...especially the service. FYI, they provide seasonal tire change-over for free if you buy tires from them.

Sorry to go off topic :)

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I always ride on all-seasons. Even in the brutal Michigan winters. I did have them siped, though.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
761 Posts
Doh! Missed that.

Meebers, I guess you don't have to worry about gas variations by season, either.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
If 90% of your mileage is in the city, I would say that you are doing quite well. You should be able to get within the 27+mpg range on long trips. Spring and fall, when you don't have to use the A/C, will probably bring even better long trip mileage. One of the few vehicles that can beat EPA highway ratings if you try.:D

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If 90% of your mileage is in the city, I would say that you are doing quite well. You should be able to get within the 27+mpg range on long trips. Spring and fall, when you don't have to use the A/C, will probably bring even better long trip mileage. One of the few vehicles that can beat EPA highway ratings if you try.:D
I am looking forward to a several hundred mile trip in it. I have seem posts here that 55mph seems to be the sweet spot? As I am driving in the city, I keep monitoring the AVG mileage indicator and notice if I am careful I can make it increase by a tenth or so. Once in a while I mash it and can see it go down.:eek:

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Just a warning. Summer tires must not be used in cold climates. Tire Rack has that warning on every summer tire. Look at the tire adds in Road & Track, or any other car magazine. Summer tire rubber compound hardens in the cold, and the thread pattern is designed for warm climates. They are epically dangerous in snow or ice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts