Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased a 2007 2.5 CRDI XE sorrento in October 2011 from a used car dealer. Within 2 days I had reported 2 faults (one was resolved by having a fuel filter fitted) and the other was an ongoing problem (high pithced noises at certain revs).

For months the car went back and forth between different garages within the dealership but nothing was getting done about it. Eventually in June 2012 the turbo blew, and they replaced the turbo for me free of charge as it had been an ongoing problem. They said I had a 12 months warranty on the turbo.

Now 9 months later, the turbo has gone again. I spoke to them and they said its not down to them to repair the turbo and to speak to Kia. Where do I stand on this? Why would Kia repair the turbo for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Classic run-around. Was the warranty in writing?

I've always been a bit wary of turbo engines. Seems like a good idea, but I've wondered about the longevity of the system. High RPM technology in old cars is a problem waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
This is simply my opinion.
I am all for turbo's if done correctly (not too much boost to compromise the longevity of the engine).
BUT you have to consider the turbo as a serviceable item with a limited life span in comparison to the engine. I mean there is oil in there, and it spins at high rpm, so the bearings will need to be replaced, and the unit rebuilt at some point...
But non of this helps NewComers...

Maybe the garage that you thought completed the work, sent it to kia to complete the work.
If this is the case, ask for their paper work on this so you can try direct with kia with the paper work as your proof.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
Naturaly aspirated diesels don't have a big history in modern passenger cars :) turbos are a fact of life for us.

Agree that turbos are a 'wear' item and will eventually rerquire replacement - some sooner than later. However, won't be the first time a Sorento turbo has failed shortly (relatively) after replacement. I know someone who had 3 or 4. (partly) as a consequence of that Kia (UK at least) did something.

Some 2007 models had a software upgrade (to limit turbo overspeed) and some - additionally - had a service check to ensure adequate oil pressure to the turbo oil feed. Given the age and circumstance of the Sorento in question I would guess that a simple replacement was performed without checking for debris in the sump and without checking adequate oil pressure.

Can't see Kia having any inclination (or necessity) to help. They wouldn't warranty another garages work anyway. Down to whomever did the repair. I see Citizen's Advice Bureau as an initial avenue for resolution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts