Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of warn hubs I am intending to install on my 2000 KIA Sportage, but I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the cam assembly to get to the spindle nut as shown in step 5 & 6 of the included instructions.
It shows not tools or discusses methods and only says remove the Cam Assembly.

According to the online manual I pry it out. Is that correct?
The part in the illustration looked nothing like what I have here.
And pry it out with what?

I removed the cap and the snap ring but did not make it any farther than that.
I have searched for weeks but so far I am not finding any useful info.

I am in Alaska and snow is going to start flying any day now and cannot have my family driving around in this condition as this thing is s death trap on the snow and ice with only 2 wheel drive.
I really cant afford to take it to a shop and have plenty of experience working on my Subaru's but this is my first KIA. And there is no Chilton or equivalent for this specific vehicle for some reason.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
The 2000 sportage comes vacuum hubs . Shouldn't be cam lock ( old stye ).
Remove the six bolts , tap the old hub off. Use anti seize bolts before installing . If you have aluminum wheels the center cap will not fit, not used.
Check the hoses from the spindle to the hard line in engine compartment. They will not be used but you don't want water or dirt to enter the old system.
Unplug the solenoid on the vacuum canister ( not used ).
You should be ready for snow.
Chief

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Chief.

I am having no problem with the procedure as a whole, only how to go about removing the part in front of the spindle nut.

See figure 4, 5 & 6 here http://sdrv.ms/RADvOn

That's the instruction scanned to a PDF.

In figure 4 & 5 what they are calling the cam assembly can be seen in the two photos; in photo 6 the part has been removed allowing access to the spindle nut.

Any idea?

Thanks gain!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Greetings,

Like Chief stated, you don't have to worry about the (old 1st gen) cam lock mods, per the instructions, proceed to step 10: ignore the cam lock section.

Just unbolt the old vacuum hub and install the (new) manual hub w/ anti-seize on the bolts, plus the other helpful instructions chief wrote..

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Does you buggy have the cam locks in place? I guess it does or you wouldn't be asking.
Try turning it like it was a nut. It probably adjust the bearing load. All mine were vacuum. No cam locks.
There should be a replacement nut in in the small parts package. It covers many years.
Chief

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, mine look exactly like the one pictured in the photo.

I tried turning the part and it seemed like the outer part rotated but the inner part was stationary, My buddy tried tapping with a flat punch but it did not move.
As for just slapping them on and hoping for the best, I don't think they would include those steps and the extra parts if they were not required but Like I said, this is my first KIA and hopefully my last.

I am a Subaru kinda guy and only took this thing because we were in desperate needed of a second car plus it had always been garaged and I got it pretty much for free.
It run great but forget about driving it on ice and snow in 2WD mode. Even with studs and six sand bags its like watching a cat on a freshly waxed floor light out after a mouse. I am regretting not taking it straight to the Subaru dealer and trading it in on a used rig for her.

Other than this deal breaker, it seems to be a pretty decent rig and makes it up the mountain impressively well.
I have to travel 350 mi. round trip to the doctor every month over some pretty big passes and in the winter even in my Subaru it can get pretty hairy. I just blew the head on my Sub so I was hoping to get this thing fixed before my next trip down. Might as well plan a funeral if I attempted the trip in the condition its in now.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was looking at k g i s on internet explorer only, ( check it out) they remove the hub .. Remove the snap ring an pry the cam lock out with a screw driver.
It must seize on the spline shaft.
Just a opinion you could try braking it off. Just a though.
Chief

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at k g i s on internet explorer only, ( check it out) they remove the hub .. Remove the snap ring an pry the cam lock out with a screw driver.
It must seize on the spline shaft.
Just a opinion you could try braking it off. Just a though.
Chief
Thanks chief.Are you referring to the online manual at KIA or something you found via a google search?
Sorry if I am misunderstanding as I did not see a link in your post.

I was going to head out again and try pulling out with a cotter pin puller and see if it gives any.
According to the online manual at KIA, you just pry it out, but even that one looked different than what I have here.

I was also going to take some photos of my attempted removal and post them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes.. The online manual from kia.
Post pictures with results would be interesting .
I think when you get this problem straighten out you will be happy with it.
Keep in mind high center of gravity an short wheel base it will be squirrel but fun.

Chief

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, after my last post, I got my tools together only to open the door to a down pour.
With my time constraints and the gloomy forecast of a week’s worth of rain I gave up on being to do them myself.
I remembered that one of my customer’s brother in Law had a 4x4 shop here in town so I took it to him and had him installed them for $150.00 and had my vehicle back the next day.
Below are a few shots of the Cam Assembly that was preventing me access to the Spindle Nut.
There are no threads so I am assuming he either dug them out or used a puller of some sort.

http://sdrv.ms/R6oDoe
http://sdrv.ms/R6oK37

So now that they are done, and the rain has let up I am going out later to test them out.
Any tips of shifting etc. I should be aware of with these new hubs?

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got out and did some testing and I do have 4x4 now, but also have very loud clicking from the front CV's.

Turning onto a side street isn't so bad. There is little to no clicking, but turning to take a parking spot or any tight turn results in a very loud clicking like driving on CV's that are ready to fly apart. Turning to the left is worse than the right
In 2WD I can turn circles and no noise is present.
Manual hubs in the old Bronco, but never a clicking sound

I got a feeling she is going to destroy this thing this winter

·
Registered
340 Posts
Some times you get the bear other time the bear gets you.
Good job.
Under snow or ice conditions i leave my hubs lock an shift the transfer case into or out of 4 wheel drive. On hard surface roads i unlock the hubs which saves fuel an where on the drive line.
chief

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Driving on a non breaking surface (snow,ice,sand) will cause drive line wind up, this is the cause if the noises you hear.

They are also the noise of $$$$ leaving your bank account if you persist in driving on hard packed surfaces, with the 4x4 selected.... Philip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never drive on a hard surface with 4x4 engaged and was only testing to make sure they were in fact engaging.
Alaska driver here so we are pretty familiar with 4x vehicles up here as when the snow flies we do not see pavement until breakup in the spring.

Of course there is going to be binding, but of all the 4X vehicles I have owned, I have never had CV noise out of any of them except when the CV was obviously trashed.
Of course for the last 10 years I have been driving AT4WD 5spd Subaru's which I thought I would hate coming from a 4x on the fly, but with a good set of studs It handles and hangs the curves on ice and snow at the same speed I would drive on normally dry pavement.

I will probably be sticking a for sale sign in the window on this thing now that I know its fixed. Even with the 4X4 I don't think its really a safe rig for where I live or the way I like to drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts