Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated on 28th Oct 2004 at 10:13am... (Round 2 - Half tank mark at 476km)

This morning, I make sure I stop my car before I took a picture.

Vincent

Updated on 27th Oct 2004 at 9:44am... (Round 2 - 400km with Shell 98)

As you can see, I choose to leave for work after 9am to aviod the morning rush. At the rate our car is going, we should be able to do close to 25km/litre with Shell 98.

Vincent

Updated on 27th Oct 2004 at 1:18am... (Round 2 - 3/4 mark:327km with Shell 98)

I just managed 327km with the needle fully reaching the 3/4 mark. There is a significant improvement of over 40km!!! Why did I greed for the V-Power in the first round... then again... I believe V-Power has clean the engine up... even with the slow driving. I know for a fact, slow driving leaves carbon all over your engine system, choking it up in the long run.

Vincent

Round 1 result was 728km covered with 30.65litres : 23.75km/litre

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thats some very good results indeed.
Can anyone back this up with their own tests?
Could the choice of fuel brand improove the cars performance and ability to use it better in terms of efficiency?

I think you are the first one here to get these kinds of results Vincent. Well done :)

/Kasper

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by kthunoe@Oct 28 2004, 03:58 PM
Thats some very good results indeed.
Can anyone back this up with their own tests?
Could the choice of fuel brand improove the cars performance and ability to use it better in terms of efficiency?

I think you are the first one here to get these kinds of results Vincent. Well done :)

/Kasper
Hi Kasper,

It got very little to do with what kind of petrol I used (at most 10%). The so called Shell VPower has very high Octane level and I guess it's 'very clean', thus it burns a lot faster.

First, I got to clarify; I try to make only long trips and make minimal short trips. I detour each time I forsee a jam or slow moving traffic ahead. I am not using any air-con at all (Round 2). And most importantly of all, I am travelling at under 70km/hr (below 2000rpm), if possible, I keep the reving of the engine as steady and constant as possible.

ALL THESE... because I am currently taking part in a 'challenge' (competition). All the petrol is free. They are kinda promoting Shell and also making us aware that good driving habits make a whole lot of difference when it comes to fuel consumption. The competition ends tomorrow (29th Oct) and I will update on the effective range of our beloved Picanto.

Cheers
Vincent

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi everyone,

not like vincent but i can drive 550 km with 31 lt, with a normal driving citywards. By the way vincent, can you tell me the mileage of your car, i heard the consumption can decrease after 3-4000 kms.

CU

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by PicantoTR@Oct 28 2004, 08:53 PM
Hi everyone,

not like vincent but i can drive 550 km with 31 lt, with a normal driving citywards. By the way vincent, can you tell me the mileage of your car, i heard the consumption can decrease after 3-4000 kms.

CU
Hi PicantoTR,

I was only getting 440km/28litres when using the 14' sports rims 175/60. At the present moment, I am using the original 13' stock rims 155/70 which is very light but unsafe due to the narrow tires, all for the challenge I am taking part in now (best mileage challenge by Shell petrol).

The 440km was achieved with 40% highway driving and 60% city driving, all with air-con, passenagers and of course... I rev the car over 3k everywhere I go.

Today, four days after the last top up by Shell's staff, I have clocked 728km with the needle still pretty near to the 1/4 marker. I believe, I will have clocked close to 800km/30litres of petrol. That's a new high of over 26km/litre. Amazing!!!

By the way, I have clocked over 6,000km on the car... The mileage will probably stay around there or better if you have run-in and then break-in your engine probably (the initial stage of the run in; sitting the piston ring in, is the most important).

Vincent

·
Registered
9 Posts
My results are very nearly identical to vicentacy. I've driven about 3000 km so far and average about 0.57 liters/10 km (this is how fuel use is measured in Norway). This works out to about 17.5 km/liter. Whereas it is better than almost all other cars, it is far below what was advertised which was 22.2 km/liter.

My driving is has been about 90% at slow consistent highway speeds (70-90 km/hr). I have a 1.0 liter, 3 cylinder model and at this low speed spend most of my time in 4th gear. It is hilly here and 5th gear much of the time is impracticle.

John

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello All,

Tough i take the bus to work and back, i don't drive our car on so long journeys. In many situations the blue heat light doesn't go off. Turkey's not a cold country like Norway(Thank God!) but i sometimes turn on the heater with AC in the morning. our tyres for EX are 165/60-14 Hankooks and i think are the best for a little cutie, 155 will be economical may be but unsafe on highways. 175 will look great may be but no comment about the consumption. 728 km with 3/4???? I tought i was a very tight driver but i can't believe these ranks... Mine was only 3000 km. but praying the god for a lower consup. after 5k. By the way my dealer has changed the rear pads twice, was good for one week and the squeezing still goes on. I don't know what to do. And a question for Pros :

Should i step on the gas for sitting the piston ring in, i always drive at 3-3,5k rpm.

CU

·
Registered
14 Posts
are you crazy ? i can only do 230 to 250 km with 30 litres and speed to 160 and higher ......and with speed from 120 to 140 380 km with 30 litres ....a am not so hapy with my fuel contumption what can be wrong ? a have the 1100 picanto .......

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok but still i am not happy with my cars consumption .....my crx with 200 hps burns just 10 e more for 500 km with speed that sometimes go to 240 km......for this and only i maby not reprogram my ecu as i do not want to hurt consumption more

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by PicantoTR@Nov 2 2004, 07:18 PM
Hello All,

Tough i take the bus to work and back, i don't drive our car on so long journeys. In many situations the blue heat light doesn't go off. Turkey's not a cold country like Norway(Thank God!) but i sometimes turn on the heater with AC in the morning. our tyres for EX are 165/60-14 Hankooks and i think are the best for a little cutie, 155 will be economical may be but unsafe on highways. 175 will look great may be but no comment about the consumption. 728 km with 3/4???? I tought i was a very tight driver but i can't believe these ranks... Mine was only 3000 km. but praying the god for a lower consup. after 5k. By the way my dealer has changed the rear pads twice, was good for one week and the squeezing still goes on. I don't know what to do. And a question for Pros :

Should i step on the gas for sitting the piston ring in, i always drive at 3-3,5k rpm.

CU
My official result for Round 2 was 777km with 28.35litres of petrol. It worked out to be 27.4km/litre! I know it's a very amazing result but it's very achieveable. No tricks nor special tips... just very smart and sensible driving techniques. Neither the air-con nor the fan were turned on during this challenge. The car moves at a speed no faster than 70km/hr and the engine was reved very steadily under 2,000rpm thruout. Minimal stops were made everyday. I often travel without passenger during this challenge. All these achieved using the original 13' wheel (155/70).

My car is almost 3 months old now with 7,600km travelled... I did my first engine oil change at 999km, then the second one at 3,600km... I will go ahead and change to the FULL SYN oil at around 8,000km. (It's up to individual really...)

The best window of apportunity to sit the piston rings tightly into the block is the first 50miles or so... this is really the critical part. Driving with too much ease (too slow) is more damage to the engine in the initial part of the run-in. The fact that, most run-ins that ended up a failure is not because of reving the engine hard... it's because drivers did not warm-up their engine enough before they move off. Just make sure you warm it up properly next time...

I guess for many drivers, what have been done cannot be undone... but think of it this way... it's afterall a 1,100cc engine... faster wear and tear take place with high reving of this small engine, so take it easy...

Vincent

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well Picanto,

Vincent is a little right, why should i spend a lot money to buy this small city car, instead of buying a 2,0 L golf 3 gti??? I should drive easily, i should park easily, i should burn my money less !!!! In fact i don't like the ones trying to load some HPs on this little block? Couldn't KIA factory make this and sell the car a little more expensive???

Go on Vincent, i'm dreaming the days i'll spend less, but he's a little right also, below 70 is nuts....

CU

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by PicantoTR@Nov 8 2004, 11:57 PM
Well Picanto,

Vincent is a little right, why should i spend a lot money to buy this small city car, instead of buying a 2,0 L golf 3 gti??? I should drive easily, i should park easily, i should burn my money less !!!! In fact i don't like the ones trying to load some HPs on this little block? Couldn't KIA factory make this and sell the car a little more expensive???

Go on Vincent, i'm dreaming the days i'll spend less, but he's a little right also, below 70 is nuts....

CU
I guess driving 70km/hr on the extreme left lane (right hand drive cars in Singapore) is reasonable. All goods vans, lorries and truck speed limit is only 60km/hr. I have never provoked any drivers on the road before... if any, it's only from moving off a light or a standstill.

There is no law in Singapore to pick off slowly off the blocks, is there?

Vincent

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ahh well over here people going under say 60mph on the motorway or parkways annoy me, whats that? 100kph or something.

·
Registered
56 Posts
morning,

I think people in Singapore don't have any hurry !!! driving with 70 annoys me also but 100 is OK and enough, espacially in front of a blue SE :))

By the way, do you hear the air intake sound when you release the gas and push it again on 4th and 5th. i like it very much and make it frequently, may be i spend the petrol that way, but i really like the "boup" from the filter....

CU

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by PicantoTR@Nov 9 2004, 04:49 PM
morning,

I think people in Singapore don't have any hurry !!! driving with 70 annoys me also but 100 is OK and enough, espacially in front of a blue SE :))

By the way, do you hear the air intake sound when you release the gas and push it again on 4th and 5th. i like it very much and make it frequently, may be i spend the petrol that way, but i really like the "boup" from the filter....

CU
Singapore is a rush rush rush country. All drivers will honk when a car is not going above the speed limit.

Anyway, our speed limit on the highway (we call it expressway) is only 90km/hr (max). Travelling 10% above the limit is often an offence.... but I do drive my Picanto at 110km/hr down the expressway everyday. It was only during that challenge, I was travelling at 70km/hr and below on the extreme left lane.

For those that want to know if the Picanto can achieve above 20km/litre... slow driving and rpm no more than 2,000 is the way to go.

That's about it

Vincent

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

Anyone driven a 1.0? Is there a difference between the gear ratios? I can make 105 km/3k rpm, 5th sp. but at lower speeds like 90, the engine wants the 4th, about 3k rpm. and this causes high consumption also i think?

CU

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello! can I ask, how do you achieve a 25km/li in your picanto? I only achieve around 10-12 km./li please PLEASE help me do what you achieved...thanks!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts