Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. This is my first post on the board here but I have been lurking a few years now. I have a 2011 Sorento EX all wheel drive with the 4 cylinder. I love this thing. Well it is time to replace the crappy stock Kuhmo tires. I was looking for an all terrain tire to replace it with since I routinely make trips to the mountains in Colorado. I don't do any crazy trails or anything but we do get off the beaten path some to go mountain biking. So I need a tire that will kind of do it all.

On my last truck I had Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s all terrains. They were awesome. Had good wear, they were quiet and would go anywhere you needed them too. My question is will a 255/60R18 fit without rubbing on the sorento. It is the smallest size they make in that tire and all terrains are kind of limited for our tire sizes. My main concern is rub during articulation of the suspension. I'm pretty sure they will be fine for normal driving as there seems to be quiet a bit of room left with the stock tire size.

Anyone have any real world experience with a 255/60R18? I know I could do a 255/55R18 but all I can get in that is a Nitto which wear quick.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
If you swap for some 17" Sorento wheels you'll have several choices that fit right.
Firestone Destination AT (I have and like these)
Michelin LTX AT2 (great tires)
Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Yokohama Geolandar AT-S
Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 (Another very good tire)
Kumho AT KL78
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (another very good choice)
more

Keep in mind that even if the bigger tires don't rub, the larger outside diameter is like running a higher gear so your 4 cylinder may feel more underpowered, especially in the high elevation in Colorado (3% power loss per 1000' of elevation due to less oxygen in the air). The 255/60-18 is about 30" outside diameter; the 235/60-18 is about 29" O.D. It's only about 3.5%, but it is real.

·
Registered
2011 sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you swap for some 17" Sorento wheels you'll have several choices that fit right.
Firestone Destination AT (I have and like these)
Michelin LTX AT2 (great tires)
Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Yokohama Geolandar AT-S
Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 (Another very good tire)
Kumho AT KL78
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (another very good choice)
more

Keep in mind that even if the bigger tires don't rub, the larger outside diameter is like running a higher gear so your 4 cylinder may feel more underpowered, especially in the high elevation in Colorado (3% power loss per 1000' of elevation due to less oxygen in the air). The 255/60-18 is about 30" outside diameter; the 235/60-18 is about 29" O.D. It's only about 3.5%, but it is real.

Switching to a 17 inch wheel is what I am looking at now. Unfortunately no one local has any 17s for sale. I did post up to trade my 18s for 17s straight up. Hopefully someone takes me up on that offer since the tire selection is much better. I would also like a little more sidewall to air down a bit more while on the trail. I have used a few of the tires you listed as well as a few others like the Nitto Tera grapplers, Toyo open country and falken wild peak. If I switch to a 17 inch wheel I would just keep stock diameter also. Thanks for the reply and let me know if you have some leads on 17s!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Discount tire says 245/60/18 or 255/55/18 will work. I would also recommend the Firestone Destination line, I have the destination LE2 they are great on roads, in snow, rain, and they get at least equal mpg as factory tires. Havent tried any serious off roading with them yet though, but the aggressive tread pattern looks like it would do good in mud or more serious trails. And they are priced pretty reasonably.

·
Registered
2011 sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Discount tire says 245/60/18 or 255/55/18 will work. I would also recommend the Firestone Destination line, I have the destination LE2 they are great on roads, in snow, rain, and they get at least equal mpg as factory tires. Havent tried any serious off roading with them yet though, but the aggressive tread pattern looks like it would do good in mud or more serious trails. And they are priced pretty reasonably.
We used the destination Le on my wife's previous SUV and it was a great tire. Unfortunately they don't offer it in a 255/55/18 but they do in a 245/60/18. I am looking for something just a little more aggressive just in case things get nasty if we are high up in the Rockies. You never know when you will get an afternoon thunderstorm or snow storm.

·
Registered
2012 sorento v6 awd
33 Posts
Do you guys know if changing the tire size would jeperdize the warranty?
I would like to from 235/60/18 to 245/60/18 to possibly help with ride. After I talked to a couple tire stores to check out tread options and prices both places said I could void my warranty and would need to sign a waver that says they are not responsible for putting the wrong size tires on and it was requested by the customer.
It looks like it would be less hassle to just stay with the original tire size.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
I would like to from 235/60/18 to 245/60/18 to possibly help with ride. After I talked to a couple tire stores to check out tread options and prices both places said I could void my warranty and would need to sign a waver that says they are not responsible for putting the wrong size tires on and it was requested by the customer.
to not void your warranty and squishy, get the 255/55/18.. its a common size.. you wont rub

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Render the warranty on the entire car null and void?...Never. End the warranty on anything where the oversize tires actually cause the damage?...Of course, if they actually do cause any damage. The sticky part would be if there is some drivetrain failure and the service writer at the shop wants you to pay the retail cost of the repairs rather than receive the reduced warranty payment the automaker pays for the repairs.

·
Registered
2011 sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked my service guy and he said it wouldn't void the warranty at all. Ofcourseimasked for that in writing and he laughed. We will see I guess.

·
Registered
2012 sorento v6 awd
33 Posts
I was concerned about a transmission failure and they would try and say it was from the extra strain of the larger tires.
I guess it depends on if the dealer tries to help us out on a warranty issue or simply try and get the most money.
Thanks for recomending the 255/55/18, I didnt think about changing the profile.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX AWD
18 Posts
Hi. I am about to replace my kumho oem tires and I was thinking of trying out a wider tire and in reference from kobi's suggestion 255/55/18, what would be the difference besides the look, in terms of ride & gas milage vs 235/60/18 ?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
for what purpose are you wanting to get wider tires? stability or off-roading?
i have 19x8.5 +35 offset wheels in summer with 255/50/19 tires

this is how a 255 tire looks like, 18's will just have more rubber, a tad heavier with my 19 set-up

oem 18 w/ 235/60/18 is 54lbs so a 255/55/18 is just a tad heavier 3-4lbs (accdg. to a website i checked)
my 19's w/ 255/50/19 56lbs, i just have a lighter alloy wheel..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX AWD
18 Posts
Hi kobi thanks for the inputs. Basically just for a tad wider look . I'd like the tires to be more "offset" -ly positioned just like how your tires look under the fender. Cause i find the oem tires too inwardly positioned making it look like its squeezed than far more apart to make it look wider in proportion with the bodies width . Or maybe i dont really need a wider tire just to make it look wide, i just want the rubber to be at least in-line with body . I dont know the things im saying. I hope you get what i mean. :) but Thanks again:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
you will need hub centric spacers about 15mm to have it flush look to be safe just buy a new set of wheels with lower offset.. i have nitto motivos in mine theres also nt14q for suv by nitto; quietest tires i ever had with 100,000km warranty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts