Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
FORTE 2011 LX plus, FORTE 2011 Koup
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Forte, 2.0L with only 24,000km needs a new block and I'm curious as to what could have caused this. Oil changes were performed at least a few thousand kms sooner than recomended, driven by my wife (no drag racing going on here). The dealer (KIA Lallier, Laval, QC) can't figure it out why this occured and has ordered a new block, which of course is on backorder and will be here the end of June!!!

Has anyone else had the same problem? I'm no mechanic but I do know quite a bit about cars and this seems odd to me. Was the block "mishapen" from the factory? Did the bearings give out causing the pistons to "wobble" (dealer says bearings and rings are okay)?

Dealer has been very helpfull so far, but it's hard to believe that a car company like KIA that sells thousands of cars a year does not have a few replacement engines or blocks in stock and I have to wait for one to be placed on a slow boat from Korea!

To see the pics of what I'm talking about:
alexlasca's Library | Photobucket

Any ideas on what caused this? Anyone else had similar problem?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
What were the symptoms? How many cylinders were affected? Did the oil appear dirty early on or was the oil usage excessive?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
First of all...alexlasca welcom to kia-forums..
I have some good news...and some bad news...

There have been NO posts of Forte 2.0L engine failures here on our forums!
The bad is... you are the first I can recall that has had one.

This engine was originally designed by Mazda back in the 1980s and was used by them until 1989...The design was licensed by Hyundai/KIA back in the late 1990s and has gone through at least 4 updates/improvements and has been rock solid as far as reliability when proper maintenance is performed.

The Sephia/Spectras/Fortes/Souls have used these engines through out their changes and I have seen them go 300,000 miles (500,000kms) and still run fine.
I have seen two 2.0L Beta engines in Spectras with bad main bearings and one looked from abuse, and some engines trashed from the owner not changing the timing belt every 5yrs or 60k miles... (yours has a timing chain and won't fail from that problem)...

I guess there has to be a few that have to fail and you got one....
Don't hold it against KIA for one bad one...
I hope your dealer takes good care of you and you will eventually forget that it even happened...
Dave

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
I've been on many KIA forums for a number of years and can't recall any serious engine problems like this, so its extremely rare. It's just unfortunate its happened to you. I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea why.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I have replaced one engine in a Forte since they came out in 2009(10MY). It was from blatant abuse/neglect and not from a defect. That being said, I did need to wait almost 3 weeks to receive the replacement block after it was ordered. I know that supply of new engines is very low, and it would stand to reason if very few are failing, then supply of remanufactured engines would be low as well due the lack of rebuildable cores.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not do the oil changes myself so I never noticed the oil quality or color. Oil level was always okay when I checked it and like I said I had the oil changed often. The mechanic showed me wear in two cylinders and a third one was begining to exhibit signs of wear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer was helpful when it came to explaining what was wrong and showing me the damage, but he did not offer me a courtesy car because all 6 of his were out on loan. I had to rent a car for two days, then I called KIA Canada and complained and they ended up forcing the dealer to rent one for me. Ironically it's a 2014 Forte...the dealer could not give me a car, yet the rental car place gave me a new KIA. Even with the new block, my worry now is that the car/engine will never be the same again. Gaskets, timing, AC leaks etc. will this car start giving me other problems now that it's been "dismantled"?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
I would not worry too much about it. I'm sure they will do a good job on the repair and you do have the remainder of the warranty to keep you from worrying.
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I did not do the oil changes myself so I never noticed the oil quality or color. Oil level was always okay when I checked it and like I said I had the oil changed often. The mechanic showed me wear in two cylinders and a third one was beginning to exhibit signs of wear.
24,000 km isn't a big distance, and the engine probably would have O.K. even if the oil hadn't been changed, although that is not recommended. The problem was most likely a casting or assembly glitch.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the future reliability of the car, quite possibly the dealer mechanic knows what he's doing, and the car will be as good as new. Various bits of technology that I've been involved with can often benefit from a little "re-manufacturing". -Just think of it as rubbing off a few rough edges!

Follow the recommended break-in procedure with the new engine, and check the condition of the oil and the oil level. During break-in, don't stress the engine by either running too fast or too slow (2000 to 4000 advisable).

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Dave, the 2.0L Theta in the Forte isn't really related to the Beta engine. It is a de-bored version of the 2.4L world engine, Mitsubishi and Chrysler also use that engine design. The new "Tigershark" engine Chrysler is using is directly related to the Theta engine.
-
Replacing an engine really isn't a big deal. After a radiator issue in my 2006 Sedona and subsequent overheatings warping the block/heads beyond repair; I had to replace the engine at ~319,000 km. You can't tell any any way that the engine isn't original, other than the engine number being different. It drives the same, looks the same - everything. I wouldn't worry about A/C leaks. It's pretty standard to replace the gaskets upon reassembly - especially with A/C systems. As for timing, the Theta engine uses pretty good timing marks, and any certified mechanic should have no trouble lining them up.
-
How are you liking the 2014 Forte you're driving?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest I prefer my 2011 Forte to the new 2014 one. The new one still has the new car smell, drives good, has Sirius satellite (which mine doesn't and I like the selection and no commercials). I think the 2011 looks more "muscular" and unique as opposed to the new one that looks more generic like a Hyundai, Civic or Corolla...they all try to be curvy for no reason (headlights bulge and curve over). I don't like the rake of the windshield (too much like the civic) I prefer a more upright seating and viewing position. Nit picking here, but the wiper blades look silly, one huge one on driver's side then a little bitty one for the passenger’s side. The little triangle window in front of the A pillar is silly and useless and just reflects flashes of light (reflections from lane markers or puddles) onto the windshield. I just think the first gen. Forte has better lines, feels more European (German design)...this new one looks more generic and designed by committee, headlights are a good example.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I agree with you on the design of the new KIA, although it's a lot better than most in the execution of the "curvy" imperative. You are right about the windshield rake; I'm fairly tall, and the A-pillars are obtrusive because of the rake. Yes, the triangular windows are silly. Drives well, though.

We bought the 2011 Cerato hatch (Forte) because it offered the most metal for the money, and it's clean lines provide a good cargo area. I doubt that the new hatch will be as roomy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2011 Cerato hatch...very nice design, I really like it. Sometimes I wish I had bought that one instead of the LX sedan, nice lines and the practicality of a fifth door...then again the LX is the wife's car so why spend more for somehting I don't drive :) I have a 2011 Koup which I think has the best most unique lines/stance for an econo-car (under $25K).

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, I was initially attracted by the look of the Koup, although it lacks credibility as a sports car because of the low power; only the 2.0 available here. The new Toyota 86/Subaru sports is a better proposition these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts