Kia Forum banner

235/55-18 instead of 235/60-18

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ecanderson 
#1 ·
My friend has 235/60-18 all seasons on his ‘21 Sedona, and a neighbor gave him four, like new, 235/55-18 winter tires. Other than a slightly higher speedometer reading can anyone think of a reason not to use them?

#2 ·
No if the price is right go for it. Winter or All seasons which are you thinking of getting? Not really clear.

Note: The higher speedometer will push your miles on warranty faster if you drive a lot!!

#3 ·
No if the price is right go for it. Winter or All seasons which are you thinking of getting? Not really clear.

Note: The higher speedometer will push your miles on warranty faster if you drive a lot!!
Good point regarding the warranty, thank you. Sorry for being vague, I thought “gave him” and “winter tires” was fairly clear, but they’re free snow tires!

#5 ·
Only reason.... WRONG SIZE
Wrong or just DIFFERENT? I get it that the numbers aren’t the same as what the vehicle came with, but technically will a .5 aspect ratio and less than a 1” overall diameter have an adverse effect on anything other than the speedometer? The circumferences are the same so ABS/traction control shouldn’t be affected, right? What exactly did you mean by “WRONG”?

#6 ·
Absolutely no reason not to use them from a functional perspective. However, as someone noted, the odometer will be reading a bit (3.1%) off, and not in the owner's favor. Offset by being 3.1% under the shown speed, however, so perhaps a tiny bit less likely to pick up a ticket? :rolleyes:

#7 ·

3% smaller so you'll be traveling slower than indicated by 3%. If load rating is appropriate for the vehicle I wouldn't be super concerned. The owners manual will talk about using the same sizes as the ABS and stability control systems are calibrated to those sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.