Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 2013 Sorento EX V6. I noticed after the first week that as the car accelerated beyond 40 mph, there was a slight rattling sound coming from the right-hand side of the dash. I took it in for service, they opened the dash, padded everything and taped down anything loose, but to no avail. After almost two days of their trying to get rid of that sound, it remains. I feel as though I am stuck with this car. I am so disappointed; my old car, a 2003 Honda Pilot, was flooded by Sandy and I wanted to find something that would fit my three kids and dog and had good gas mileage. But I think I decided too hastily. I have it less than 30 days and I am wondering what my options are. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the V6? I've heard it was a problem with the V4s in the past...

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Take it back and make the service manager actually sit in the car with you while you're driving and point the sound out to them.

(assuming that this isn't just another troll) <-- hope springs eternal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sauron,

The service manager actually drove it to his home that night and took it back the next morning. They said they did something to the steering column but that the sound would not be 100 percent gone. Am wondering if this is what all 2013 Sorento V6s sound like??

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Hi Sauron,

The service manager actually drove it to his home that night and took it back the next morning. They said they did something to the steering column but that the sound would not be 100 percent gone. Am wondering if this is what all 2013 Sorento V6s sound like??
I don't have any rattles. Having the service manager tool around in your car isn't particularly useful. Like I said, have someone in the car WITH you and you point it out to them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD
3 Posts
I (think) I have the same issue. Open the glove box and close it. Mine seems to go away when I do that. Everything is solid but the noise keeps coming back. It's not a big rattle though, just a minor noise from the vibration while moving so mine might be something different.

·
Registered
2009 RIO 5
48 Posts
We just had the same type of concern in our shop.We had to replace the right front wheel skirt and bend the metal retaining tabs. fixed it

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX AWD (Titanium Silver); 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop, 6-sp. manual (Eclipse Gray)
123 Posts
Mine does the same thing in the same location. It sounds like a large leaf is caught on the windshield wiper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our Sorento has the same type of rattle, sounds like it comes from right behind the dash. Dealer unable to locate.......very annoying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. I haven't taken it in yet. Was going to during its 1st oil change. The wheel skirt makes sense as my noise seems to be more wind caused than bump caused. It is very annoying when others are in the car (I have the radio loud enough by myself).

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
14 Posts
No rattles in the dash, but I do have a slight rattle from the overhead sunroof cover every once in a while. I have to close it and open it again, and it goes away. Be sure the sound isn't coming from there.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD
3 Posts
No rattles in the dash, but I do have a slight rattle from the overhead sunroof cover every once in a while. I have to close it and open it again, and it goes away. Be sure the sound isn't coming from there.
I had that for a while. I kept the screen closed about half way for about 2 weeks and when I opened it back up all the way, it was gone. It's just a spring that's vibrating. It just needed to settle in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We just had the same type of concern in our shop.We had to replace the right front wheel skirt and bend the metal retaining tabs. fixed it
Dear JimmyLee,

We took the Sorento back to the service manager and showed him your fix for the noise (replacing the right front wheel skirt and bending the metal tabs). It took them a day and a half--but the car is now rattle-free! Thank you so much for your advice; I don't think we would have found it, perhaps not as quickly or maybe not even at all--so a BIG thank you to you. This made my last very crappy past two months a lot more bearable. Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dear JimmyLee,

We took the Sorento back to the service manager and showed him your fix for the noise (replacing the right front wheel skirt and bending the metal tabs). It took them a day and a half--but the car is now rattle-free! Thank you so much for your advice; I don't think we would have found it, perhaps not as quickly or maybe not even at all--so a BIG thank you to you. This made my last very crappy past two months a lot more bearable. Thanks again.
Can someone please post a picture of the wheel skirt/metal tabs......I know I will need to spoon feed my dealer like a kid. Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
17 Posts
Same problem. Photo of wheel well

We just picked up our new Sorento EX V6 AWD and drove it home over 800 miles on interstate highways from Ogden Utah to Eugene Oregon, where we live.

At freeway speeds, there was a constant, annoying rattling sound from the right front. It was not sensitive to road conditions (i.e., bumps or rough surfaces). It seemed to be coming from outside the cabin.

Nothing appeared loose in the engine compartment.

However, there is a plastic skirt attached inside the wheel well that I could easily rattle by hitting with my hand. I suspect this is the cause and will take to local dealer to fix.

Here are two photos:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dealer says there is a TSB on the early production Sorento's for this problem. Remove liner and install foam behind at contact points. Anybody else aware of this TSB and if so can someone post it for the benefit of others.

·
Registered
Sorento L4
94 Posts
Had the same problem years ago first week of driving this vehicle. Took to it the delaer and a lot of the skirt was loose. I remember even using clear silicone, after that the problem was solved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dealer says there is a TSB on the early production Sorento's for this problem. Remove liner and install foam behind at contact points. Anybody else aware of this TSB and if so can someone post it for the benefit of others.
Took the Sorento out for a weekend ski trip. 800 km round trip and all good. Rattle is gone.....finally! Was indeed the loose wheel liners in the front.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
17 Posts
Update:

The speed-related, slapping noises emanating from the front right were indeed caused by a loose screw on the mud guard (in front of the wheel) and an unattached screw in the liner (in the rear of the wheel). Not too happy with the Kia QA or dealer delivery checkout that let these slip by.

The rough-road-related rattles from from the rear were caused by:

a) the loosely fitted covers of the "under storage" areas and the retractable cargo cover. Keeping the cargo cover extended takes care of that, and weight on the storage covers takes care of those.

b) gravel that had been kicked up above the muffler and was rattling on the muffler and shield. Probably picked up the gravel during many miles of snowy interstate that had been covered with gravel. This was a pretty good catch by the service department, I thought. Now I'll know to have them check after each winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts