Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia sorento EX, 08 Kawasaki nomad,
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or 3rd for that matter it go up to 4,000 rpms . I have to let off the gas so it shifts. I'm one that also down shifts going down hills.
Anyway I put in in manual mode and instead of showing the gear it shows an " S " can't find anything in the manual.
Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
104 Posts
or 3rd for that matter it go up to 4,000 rpms . I have to let off the gas so it shifts. I'm one that also down shifts going down hills.
Anyway I put in in manual mode and instead of showing the gear it shows an " S " can't find anything in the manual.
Anyone experience this?
Take it in. Do not pass go. Something is very wrong

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
25 Posts
Anyone experience this?
are you using sport drive mode rather than normal or eco mode? Would that put an S on the gear selector? That might also explain holding gears longer, although 4000rpm seems quite high. Only time i had an auto trans hold gears that high was when the solenoid pack and torque converter let go.

I’ve only ever used eco mode on my Sorento, but on my gals BMW it will show S when i click into manual mode.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
are you using sport drive mode rather than normal or eco mode? Would that put an S on the gear selector? That might also explain holding gears longer, although 4000rpm seems quite high. Only time i had an auto trans hold gears that high was when the solenoid pack and torque converter let go.

I’ve only ever used eco mode on my Sorento, but on my gals BMW it will show S when i click into manual mode.
i tried all modes and now it won't move

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
25 Posts
Jesus. That’s not good to say the least. The only good news is that’s entirely covered on warranty, but super annoying to deal with.

i don’t know much about these hybrids and how they decide to transfer power in what percentages from engine/battery to the trans, but it sounds like a bad solenoid pack with the transmission to me.

keep us posted if you can and good luck. I hope Kia makes it right for you quickly. You seem to be the first hybrid with an issue, i expect others to crop up with all of us along our journeys

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX
13 Posts
I don't believe the OP has a hybrid. Also, the hybrid and the regular Sorento have two different transmissions

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
25 Posts
I don't believe the OP has a hybrid. Also, the hybrid and the regular Sorento have two different transmissions
Ah, fair play. I guess my theory wouldn't change much. Still seems like a bad solenoid pack

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ah, fair play. I guess my theory wouldn't change much. Still seems like a bad solenoid pack
Very possible. If my understanding is correct, the 6-speed transmission in the hybrid Sorento is the legacy transmission while the 8-speed transmission in the Sorento is brand new. I could be totally wrong, as this is my first Kia. I've owned nothing but Subaru, Toyota and Ram trucks for the past 21 years

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jesus. That’s not good to say the least. The only good news is that’s entirely covered on warranty, but super annoying to deal with.

i don’t know much about these hybrids and how they decide to transfer power in what percentages from engine/battery to the trans, but it sounds like a bad solenoid pack with the transmission to me.

keep us posted if you can and good luck. I hope Kia makes it right for you quickly. You seem to be the first hybrid with an issue, i expect others to crop up with all of us along our journeys
its not a hybrid

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
101 Posts
i highly doubt it. the dealership won’t eat that loss. they’ll superglue it back together if they have to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i highly doubt it. the dealership won’t eat that loss. they’ll superglue it back together if they have to.
Something like that doesn't fall on the dealership. That will be the responsibility of Kia of America. I had a head unit in a Subaru Outback go bad when it was a few a few thousand miles out of warranty. The dealership told me to call SoA and see if they would comp the replacement and install. They did. Didn't cost the dealership anything

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
101 Posts
somebody said new car, which I was responding to. Not a single component of a car like your case. The dealership isn’t going to replace a whole car. They’re going to try to fix everything wrong with it first. It’s going to be under warranty but the point I was making is that they’re not going to replace a whole car…

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they got the ok to replace the tranny. I can keep the rental for as long as it takes. How long I asked? several weeks. WTF no pulling the 1000LB. boat to do some fishing. Have to buy the step daughter cross members and kayak racks so we can use her seltose can go on vacation at the end of the month.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
25 Posts
they got the ok to replace the tranny. I can keep the rental for as long as it takes. How long I asked? several weeks. WTF no pulling the 1000LB. boat to do some fishing. Have to buy the step daughter cross members and kayak racks so we can use her seltose can go on vacation at the end of the month.
They didn't provide a similarly equipped loaner? That's some bullspit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts