Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2021 Sorento EX AWD and did not realize until later there was no spare tire. I have since been told by the dealer on the EX AWD it is impossible to add a spare tire due to the lack of room underneath with the AWD transaxle. Who would even design an AWD vehicle that could not accommodate a spare tire? In all other respects, I love the car, but not having a spare option means is enough of a reason to get rid of it and never recommend an AWD EX Sorento.

Has anyone found a way to add a spare to a 2021 EX AWD other than carrying it loose in the back?

If it is true it is impossible, I think this would be the makings of a great class action lawsuit considering the way KIA has prompted the AWD as a get-away from it all vehicle. I would never get too far from a main road without a spare.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,073 Posts
Odd, I have the AWD 2020 Sorento SX, they managed to fit a spare into that one.

I was told that all the 2021 Sorento trims in the US came with a spare, obviously that was incorrect. Just another corner they cut for the new model year! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Purchased a 2021 Sorento EX AWD and did not realize until later there was no spare tire. I have since been told by the dealer on the EX AWD it is impossible to add a spare tire due to the lack of room underneath with the AWD transaxle. Who would even design an AWD vehicle that could not accommodate a spare tire? In all other respects, I love the car, but not having a spare option means is enough of a reason to get rid of it and never recommend an AWD EX Sorento.

Has anyone found a way to add a spare to a 2021 EX AWD other than carrying it loose in the back?

If it is true it is impossible, I think this would be the makings of a great class action lawsuit considering the way KIA has prompted the AWD as a get-away from it all vehicle. I would never get too far from a main road without a spare.
Do a search please. There are multiple posts on this. And yes, there is a video of someone installing a full-sized spare on an AWD MQ4 Sorento.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
197 Posts
I haven't looked but I have all the spare tire tools under my hatch floorboard. I better have a spare tire. My Sorento is at the dealership right now or I'd go verify visually. I believe it's underneath the car and you lower it down like an old truck... Check your owners manual. I think a spare is an option.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2021 3.5L AWD EX (GCC Spec), 7 seater
51 Posts
I hve a full size spare under the vehicle. 7-seater AWD top trim (called the EX in the Middle East). I can’t imagine the underside of the car being any different from region to region so it’s probably just an option thing that for some reason Kia/Hyundai make VERY different from region to region.

·
Registered
Spicy Red 2012 Optima SX + GWP 2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD
17 Posts
FWIW: My 2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD does in fact HAVE a spare tire up under the rear w/tools in the storage bin area.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
112 Posts

(n) Is it just this forum, or are all forums utterly full of misinformation?!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
(n) Is it just this forum, or are all forums utterly full of misinformation?!
It'd be nice if the search function was utilized instead of putting results like this at the top of our forum.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX-P X-line
7 Posts

I don't have a full sized spare on my 2022 Sorento SX-P X-line AWD; it's one of those little temporary spare tires. Seeing at least one person say they have full sized spares, I wonder if a full sized tire would fit? That would be nice.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Here’s the thread where I mentioned the video of a person mounting a full sized wheel and mounted tire to an AWD.

Please use the search feature at the top of the page. There’s already a post talking about all of the concerns/issues discussed in this thread. If you’re in the 2021 Sorento sub thread of Kia forums just click “Search “…” in this forum” instead of hitting the enter button:

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Rectangle Darkness

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX-P PHEV
74 Posts
Though not designed for a full size spare, one should fit, though it'll visibly extend past the lower edge of the bumper and will probably reduce the vehicle's departure clearance over obstacles (might scrape when entering a steep uphill driveway, for ex). Probably not compatible with a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX-P X-line
7 Posts
Though not designed for a full size spare, one should fit, though it'll visibly extend past the lower edge of the bumper and will probably reduce the vehicle's departure clearance over obstacles (might scrape when entering a steep uphill driveway, for ex). Probably not compatible with a trailer hitch.
Excellent considerations. I think I'll stick to the donut spare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts