Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Volt 2019. Considering a 2023 Kia Sportage PHEV.
116 Posts
This is my car in reverse. The light is very dim... You might actually see it better at night but probably not at all during the day, which is arguably worse
I think we are talking about two different concerns.

1) The complaint (I thought) was the reverse light doesn't light up the area behind the car IN THE DARK.
2) However, if you guys are also saying that it's not obvious the car is backing up in the daylight because other drivers cannot see the reverse light? That would seem to be an issue here (addressed by your daylight photo).
I hadn't really thought about it, but yeah I do look for reverse lights in the daytime to know whether cars are in reverse. And yes, if that Sportage pictured is in reverse, it sure doesn't seem obvious. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but yeah, not great.

I'm more concerned with the issue about reverse lighting behind the car in the dark. I need to be able to see. Can somebody post a picture of what the reverse camera sees when the car is in reverse?

·
Registered
2013 Optima Hybrid. 2017 Niro LX. 2018 Optima SX Turbo. 2023 Sportage EX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My complaint/issue is that other drivers will not be able to tell that the car is backing up until it physically moves, because there is only that one little light, it's pointed down at the ground, and it's not in the location that backup lights are usually located on other cars, so nobody will be looking for it. It also isn't very bright in the daytime, so even if you are behind the car, it might be hard to tell it's on. From the side (where other cars will be driving past you), you can't even see the light.

From the Sportage driver's perspective, it lights up the area just fine in the dark. Especially if you're using the backup camera, as it would first appear that this is the only purpose for that particular light. Backup lights exist not only to light the path behind you, but also to let others know your intention of backing up, much like turn signals. This one little light doesn't do the job of letting others know you're backing up. I'm still deciding if it's a deal-breaker or not. I love the car otherwise, but this is a pretty big safety concern for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My complaint/issue is that other drivers will not be able to tell that the car is backing up until it physically moves, because there is only that one little light, it's pointed down at the ground, and it's not in the location that backup lights are usually located on other cars, so nobody will be looking for it. It also isn't very bright in the daytime, so even if you are behind the car, it might be hard to tell it's on. From the side (where other cars will be driving past you), you can't even see the light.

From the Sportage driver's perspective, it lights up the area just fine in the dark. Especially if you're using the backup camera, as it would first appear that this is the only purpose for that particular light. Backup lights exist not only to light the path behind you, but also to let others know your intention of backing up, much like turn signals. This one little light doesn't do the job of letting others know you're backing up. I'm still deciding if it's a deal-breaker or not. I love the car otherwise, but this is a pretty big safety concern for me.
Yeah, that is a strange design. And I agree that I do watch for reverse lights for that purpose - it is helpful.

Not a dealbreaker for me, but yes, not a great design.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Relax guys. It's a very bright light.
I see the point of the daytime visibility. You can't even tell it's one
Have you considered using sunlight during the day?
They're saying that during the day it's not obvious to know that the car is in reverse just by virtue of seeing the reverse lights illuminated. That is helpful when running down a parking lot, seeing someone has their reverse lights on, but they haven't moved yet.

·
Registered
2023 X-Line Limited - Shadow Matte Grey
37 Posts
If the car is moving backward it's a pretty good indication that it is going in reverse. If its NOT moving backward, it doesn't matter.
Its their responsibility to watch for you, not the other way around.

Bruh.....

·
Registered
2023 kia Sportage, EX
21 Posts
If the car is moving backward it's a pretty good indication that it is going in reverse. If its NOT moving backward, it doesn't matter.

Bruh.....
You really don't get, do you bruh?
Did you just got your permit?

If i am stoped, ready to back up and people don't see a light i might find myself in a position where I can't backup because they don't even know what i trying to do...

Apparently you are the kind of person who doesn't care to signal people when you try to do things... Do you even use your turn signals bruh? I guess the movement of changing lanes is an indication, no? This is using you very ridiculous logic... Bruh

·
Registered
5G 2022 Kia GT-Line Diesel Sportage (8-Speed Automatic)
8 Posts

Bruh.....
I have been following this thread with interest.

The word that is missing here, is “Courtesy”.
Illuminating conspicuous reversing lights when reversing (during daylight hours) is an act of courtesy towards other motorists.

Sorry Kia, you failed this one.

·
Registered
2023 kia Sportage, EX
21 Posts
I can't do anything else for you my man.

You apparently don't know anything about courtesy on the road. I feel sorry for whomever is driving close to you. Nothing you said make sense in the real world. How do you expect me to tell people i am backing up?

But in any case... It's a design flaw. And you don't need to accept reality. After all we live in a world where people think the world is flat and cars don't need visible light when backing up. Maybe trucks dont need to make noise either ..

·
Registered
116 Posts
I

I can't do anything else for you my man.

You apparently don't know anything about courtesy on the road. I feel sorry for whomever is driving close to you. Nothing you said make sense in the real world. How do you expect me to tell people i am backing up?

But in any case... It's a design flaw. And you don't need to accept reality. After all we live in a world where people think the world is flat and cars don't need visible light when backing up. Maybe trucks dont need to make noise either ..
Looks like he deleted his post.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,454 Posts
If you have nothing to add other than disparaging snarky comments, go elsewhere.

If you encounter a personal attack, use the report post button, but don't respond with the same.

Reactions: Pio

·
Registered
2023 X-Line Limited - Shadow Matte Grey
37 Posts
"How do you expect me to tell people i am backing up?"

Move backwards a few inches.........it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
116 Posts
"How do you expect me to tell people i am backing up?"

Move backwards a few inches.........it's not rocket science.
Dude, we get it.

Is that your matte grey? Did they give you any special care directions? It looks awesome...haven't seen it in person.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts