Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX PHEV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Kia Sorento PHEV. It’s been at the dealership for more than a month while they try to figure out what’s wrong with it. The issue is random — it will suddenly just stop responding to the accelerator. Not completely (it will still go forward) but at a crawl. If it happens while I’m going up a hill on the freeway I can have the gas pedal all the way down and it will keep losing speed, never going faster than 45 mph, but the needle will be all the way to the right. Check engine light does come on. The first dealer I took it to said the car is designed to do this when it senses a problem with the engine, in order to “protect” the engine (I call BS). Second dealership took me more seriously and has tried changing the computer and now fuel injectors, but I’m skeptical the latter will fix the problem. It does seem to be related to the hybrid engine since when it’s doing this it will fail to switch out of EV and kick in the gas engine even though that’s what it should do during aggressive acceleration. At one point it was very low on charge and would not switch over to the hybrid engine at all … when I got to my destination the EV was down to 4%, which should never happen (gas engine should kick in at about 20%).

Has anyone else experienced this and did your dealer figure out the problem?

· Registered
2017 Rondo LX 2.0L
364 Posts
The dealers are obviously not able or capable to diagnose, escalate this to KIA regional and if not resolved demand a lemon buy back.

· Registered
2022 Sorento PHEV
4 Posts
Sounds like you need to check into the Lemon Law in your state. In Virginia you only have 16 months. Kia will have to pay the lawyer and just about all the money you payed out when you bought the vehicle will be returned if they don’t provide you with a like vehicle. The only thing you will have to pay for sure is milage-which amounts to about .30 cents a mile (1/2 of what the IRS allows for business travel). I came close to having to do this myself with issues I was having since July with the backup camera not working and several problems with the displays either not working or freezing up. I really do like my Sorento PHEV and I hope I don’t have any recurring issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts