Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MY17 Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a little disappointed to finally get confirmation from the auto sources that the 2022 Sportage will just be a carry-over of the last year model with slightly newer tech on the SX and more options on the lower end trims. I was so hyped reading articles like (Not To Scare You, But This 2022 Kia Sportage Render Isn't Far From Reality | Carscoops ) showing off a super cool futuristic new design and especially with the newly redesigned 2022 Tuscon arriving in the US. Im still hoping that Kia will not remove the 2.0L turbo from the Sportage since the 'more powerful' motor on the new Tuscon is the hybrid powertrain getting you over 225hp.
I feel like Kia/Hyundai are the best in quality these days compared to established brands like Honda/Toyota. I've had no issues with my 2017 SX AWD after 4yrs and 67,000miles whereas my girlfriend has had to replace the starter on her 2015 Honda Civic twice in only 60,000miles. This little Sportage was my first brand new vehicle and I feel like the value and reliability you get against the established mainstream brands that I will continue in the Kia/Hyundai ecosystem. Since the 2022 is just a carry-over now, I am interested in seeing how the new Genesis GV70 is going to look in person. I was hoping to pick-up a new vehicle this year while the trade-in value on my Sportage is still somewhat strong with the demand for used vehicles.
Well rant over, was anyone else disappointed about the 2022 Sportage announcment?

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
163 Posts
I was a little disappointed to finally get confirmation from the auto sources that the 2022 Sportage will just be a carry-over of the last year model with slightly newer tech on the SX and more options on the lower end trims. I was so hyped reading articles like (Not To Scare You, But This 2022 Kia Sportage Render Isn't Far From Reality | Carscoops ) showing off a super cool futuristic new design and especially with the newly redesigned 2022 Tuscon arriving in the US. Im still hoping that Kia will not remove the 2.0L turbo from the Sportage since the 'more powerful' motor on the new Tuscon is the hybrid powertrain getting you over 225hp.
I feel like Kia/Hyundai are the best in quality these days compared to established brands like Honda/Toyota. I've had no issues with my 2017 SX AWD after 4yrs and 67,000miles whereas my girlfriend has had to replace the starter on her 2015 Honda Civic twice in only 60,000miles. This little Sportage was my first brand new vehicle and I feel like the value and reliability you get against the established mainstream brands that I will continue in the Kia/Hyundai ecosystem. Since the 2022 is just a carry-over now, I am interested in seeing how the new Genesis GV70 is going to look in person. I was hoping to pick-up a new vehicle this year while the trade-in value on my Sportage is still somewhat strong with the demand for used vehicles.
Well rant over, was anyone else disappointed about the 2022 Sportage announcment?
Being involved in the insurance industry, the vehicles least expensive to repair and insure are ones that don't change the bodies every couple years. Nissan Rogue for example is a lower insurance rate because they haven't done major body redesign for years. Repair parts are plentiful and cheap. From 2011 to 2016 the Sportage as far as body panels changed little. And that factor played a big part in keeping insurance rates low. Now, from 2017 to current the Sportage body has basically stayed the same. I would rather have KIA maintain this redesign rate and produce a lower cost vehicle to insure and maintain. Any manufacturer who changes styling to often is just adding higher expense to ownership. I bought both of our Sportages as inexpensive to own daily drivers.

·
Registered
2021 Sportage S 2.4 FWD
289 Posts
Not disappointed at all... have more important things to worry about

New Tucson is out... expect the Sportage to follow it... might be a little later. Big deal. Its not the end of the world because they didn't release a new Sportage at the same time as a new Tucson.

Was hoping for the update to get more haggling discounts on the old obsolete boring has-been 2021 since I might add another one to the driveway. Guess it gives me another year to decide.

I don't see the point on fawning on newer models, or even waiting for them.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo // 2020 Sportage LX FWD
427 Posts
The Sportage has already been redesigned. Rather or not it will be released in the US in June or not. Kia will be offering a long wheel base a short wheel base model with engine options predicted to be like the K5 (as the Sportage and optima are very much the same). 1.6T, 2.5t and maybe a 2.5 na model. 8spd wet dual clutch. Usually Korea gets the redesign a year early so we will know for sure in June.

Looks like the Sportage is the last Kia to get the redesign, but it is going to be a big change

The New gdi &multi port theta 3 2.5L turbo will be replacing the 2.0t in a lot of Kia/Hyundai cars in the next 2 years. It is more powerful. Check out the K5 GT for more information.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The question is will they allow the Sportage to have the additional power? Unless they have a new direction in their management, the Sportage will be held to 260 HP or less. The 3G SX had 260 but the 4G has 240. However, if the new model is no heavier than the 4G, 240 HP is pretty damn good in it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo // 2020 Sportage LX FWD
427 Posts
The question is will they allow the Sportage to have the additional power? Unless they have a new direction in their management, the Sportage will be held to 260 HP or less. The 3G SX had 260 but the 4G has 240. However, if the new model is no heavier than the 4G, 240 HP is pretty damn good in it.
The 2.5T K5 GT has [email protected],800rpm. 311ft/lbs [email protected],650-4,000rpm 8spd DCT (wet) w/ paddle shifters. The Optima (K5) and sportage have always been sisters (The 2020 of the optima having the same 2.4L NA 6spd auto as the sportage with the sportage only weighing 75lbs more base model to base model comparison).

They might reduce power some for the AWD system, but almost positive that will be the redesigned Sportage Sx (or GT) power plant (assuming they offer awd for that engine)

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
399 Posts
Still really happy with our 2017 EX and see no reason to move up at all.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo 4wd
38 Posts
I always wondered why Hyundai and Kia did this, why compete against themselves in the same segment. Before I bought my Sportage I had been eyeing the Tucson just months before. Annoyingly this makes sense to me, as much as I wanted to see the latest Sportage, delaying it will surely make room for Hyundai Tucson to take the sales wave and as soon as that dies down the Sportage should be more refined and take over. Just my 2cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts