Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I should have mentioned this in my opening post when I started this thread..

Could any responding posts also indicate whether their Sorento is AWD, or FWD?

BTW, thanks to all the folks who have contributed so far.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX - AWD
4 Posts
22' Sorento SX - AWD (Canada):
Mine lags a bit from stop. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially in stop and go traffic. I think I read that you can creep a little bit as it is a wet type DCT, but not uphill. Thankfully my part of the country is not very hilly. There is a mild but noticeable shudder with spirited acceleration from a complete stop (red light). No shudder when I accelerate from a complete stop (red light) very gently. It's good to hear that all this is normal as this is my first DCT vehicle. Apart from that, this thing rips. I am amazed at how fast this car is. Absolute beast.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
237 Posts
All the reports of transmission issues keep me on my toes but for my 21' Sorento SX Prestige, AWD there have been zero issues with transmission after one year. Shifts fast, smooth, and quiet. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-line AWD
27 Posts
I have a decision to make with a 22 Sorento that I could use some insight/help with.

My 2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-line transmission failed at 10400 mi. Long story short filed lemon law claim against them.

Out of a "goodwill" , a repurchase, and a replacement offer I chose replacement and they are working on getting one. Reason being I get a 22 because no 21s are left that has a few upgrades. Plus I get to reset my mileage (now 11,600) and I'm basically already paying towards my future vehicle. They just swap the VIN number in my loan that I'm down to 47 months from 60 now.

Also I only paid $48,614 OTD(7%tax all fees, and some extras too included) last April . Right now advertised prices near me are $53,200 (without taxes and fees).

So the question is once I get it do I trust it (2022 model) and keep it? Or sell it practically new?

I should be able to make money off it since I'm just swapping vehicles and paid what I paid for it and just get a Palisade or Telluride that doesn't have the same transmission

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
703 Posts
‘21 SX AWD ~18k mi. All was well until this past weekend. I was driving from Atlanta to NE Ohio and all of my safety systems malfunctioned putting the car in limp mode. I pulled over and turned the car off and back on and it disappeared, for 3 miles… it continued for about 8 cycles of the engine (8 stop and starts), but I was over 600 miles from home and this was upsetting. During the third cycle I took the time to clear ALL of my driving sensors and turned what I could off in the settings menus.

THIS WAS NOT DUE TO MY FRONT CAMERA BEING DIRTY! As mentioned, I cleaned all of them and my car was only dusty as I just had a car wash an hour before getting on the highway. Also, with it just going away after the eighth cycle proves it wasn’t a dirty camera or else it wouldn’t have stopped.

I took pictures and video for the dealer, but I already know they won’t be able to replicate the issue. I’m going to email the pics/vids to my service rep for reference.

Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part Tachometer

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
237 Posts
My advice is don't ask random forum people for advice that only pertains to you. You may have luck asking how to change oil and such but your situation is a bit more unique and complicated.

But, for random advice. Keep the new car. Unless you want a different car. Then sell it.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-line AWD
27 Posts
My advice is don't ask random forum people for advice that only pertains to you. You may have luck asking how to change oil and such but your situation is a bit more unique and complicated.

But, for random advice. Keep the new car. Unless you want a different car. Then sell it.
Just trying to get a sense if the 2022s are having problems too, that's all. I don't know anyone that owns one, hence why I'm asking a forum of owners of 22' Sorento's (not really too random then) that may be able to give me some insight as to if failures are still occurring. I see you have a 21 though, so you're not part of the audience I'm trying to poll anyways. Thanks for trying to be helpful I guess, but I realize who my audience is here.

So again any 22' owners with transmission failures out there or anybody make it to 10-15k+ mileage on their 22' yet without problems? Thanks

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,401 Posts
Not sure... A bunch of users who don't have a '22 are commenting.
I have a 2021 Sorento with 9k miles: no major problems YET. I do have some of the same issues (surging, juddering) as others, takes some getting used to, but am hopeful that there will not be a major failure. Incidentally, for all the bad press that Nissan CVT's get, I had three different Nissans since 2007 and never had a trans problem; always worked and superb gas mileage. It's just the luck of the draw.....
2021 Sorento SX with the 2.5 liter turbo. 16,000miles and no issues. No transmission issues. Love the car. No problem going through the car wash dryer as talked about above. I find the car very responsive. Purchased in March 2021
2021 - I must be insensitive or very lucky for I have had no problems with my transmission whatsoever. Besides shifting very quickly it acts just like an automatic transmission.
Lets be mindful of the question - folks who have hands-on experience with the 2022.

Can anyone confirm if the 2022 transmission and TCM is the same as its predecessor?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento S
8 Posts
I just had my DCT fixed in a 2021 Sorrento SX. From the advisor it seems pretty common on both the 21 and 22 models. The car was losing power at low RPMs or would not start back up if the start/stop was enabled. Took it to the dealership and took 26 days to fix the issue due to a back order of parts and ordering a new clutch. Good news is they gave me a rental the entire time so I put 3K miles on something that wasn’t my car in March.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,401 Posts
I just had my DCT fixed. The car was losing power at low RPMs or would not start back up if the start/stop was enabled. Took it to the dealership and took 26 days to fix the issue due to a back order of parts and ordering a new clutch. Good news is they gave me a rental the entire time so I put 3K miles on something that wasn’t my car in March.
How is that related to this thread?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento S
8 Posts
I have a 2021 Sorento with 9k miles: no major problems YET. I do have some of the same issues (surging, juddering) as others, takes some getting used to, but am hopeful that there will not be a major failure. Incidentally, for all the bad press that Nissan CVT's get, I had three different Nissans since 2007 and never had a trans problem; always worked and superb gas mileage. It's just the luck of the draw.....
This seems like some of the issues I had and then the clutch went out. I recommend taking it to the dealership since it is under warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
151 Posts
‘21 SX AWD ~18k mi. All was well until this past weekend. I was driving from Atlanta to NE Ohio and all of my safety systems malfunctioned putting the car in limp mode. I pulled over and turned the car off and back on and it disappeared, for 3 miles… it continued for about 8 cycles of the engine (8 stop and starts), but I was over 600 miles from home and this was upsetting. During the third cycle I took the time to clear ALL of my driving sensors and turned what I could off in the settings menus.

THIS WAS NOT DUE TO MY FRONT CAMERA BEING DIRTY! As mentioned, I cleaned all of them and my car was only dusty as I just had a car wash an hour before getting on the highway. Also, with it just going away after the eighth cycle proves it wasn’t a dirty camera or else it wouldn’t have stopped.

I took pictures and video for the dealer, but I already know they won’t be able to replicate the issue. I’m going to email the pics/vids to my service rep for reference.

View attachment 123437
I know this is off-topic from the main thread, but I don't know how to message you independently; did you find out what caused this latest issue, C-Trink?

·
Registered
‘22 Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
2 Posts
Have a 2022 and sometimes i experience a mild vibration when the car is just about to come to a complete stop and when it is just about to go to Auto Hold (Traffic, Making a left turn Etc). It's almost like if you are driving a stick shift the car is going to stall. That's what the vibration of the car feels like. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm pretty positive it's the DCT and its Normal but i could be wrong. The car has 2,000 Kms now.
Ive got a 22 also and could not have said it better myself. It just about feels like it’s going to stall sometimes.

I’ve put 12k miles on it already since I bought it 6 months ago and I haven’t quite yet mastered backing out of the driveway in the morning while it is cold and the engine is naturally revving on top of it. I always feel like it’s jerking back as I put in into drive and I have to keep reminding myself that this is normal and I am not hurting it.

I get what people say about it taking awhile to get used to the “lunge” forward from stop lights, drive thru’s, carwash, etc but that doesn’t really bother me anymore I just had to kind of train myself on the feel.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2022
19 Posts
Ive got a 22 also and could not have said it better myself. It just about feels like it’s going to stall sometimes.

I’ve put 12k miles on it already since I bought it 6 months ago and I haven’t quite yet mastered backing out of the driveway in the morning while it is cold and the engine is naturally revving on top of it. I always feel like it’s jerking back as I put in into drive and I have to keep reminding myself that this is normal and I am not hurting it.

I get what people say about it taking awhile to get used to the “lunge” forward from stop lights, drive thru’s, carwash, etc but that doesn’t really bother me anymore I just had to kind of train myself on the feel.

Glad to hear that everyone is experiencing this not just me. Seems like this is normal in this car since it has a DCT.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
343 Posts
I HAD an issue with my DCT in my 22 Prestige X-Line AWD - On long trips - like over 200 miles - when I would stop and go slowly - like pulling off the highway to get some food or gas - the transmission would shudder a bit - but now that issue is gone. I have about 13K miles on it now and on my last trip - about 1100 miles - zero issues. So I think it just had to break it in a little. Now it's smooth as silk always.

Reactions: Anthony_evo08
21 - 40 of 45 Posts