Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the thread here titled: "2021 Kia Sorento transmission failed", and many of the posts list some pretty serious DCT transmission problems.

I`ve been thinking about making a move on one, but these issues scare the heck out of me.

Are there any 2022 owners out there experiencing the same problems, or has Kia solved them?

Lets hear from the 2022 owners....good or bad.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
563 Posts
DCT transmissions were designed for track use.....not long term street driving. They are an unfortunate compromise that no single manufacturer has been able to master. They are also cheaper than conventional auto gearboxes.......that should sound familiar to CVT owners, who seldom have significant issues too due to cost cutting.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
992 Posts
I agree, DCT are not ready for mass adoption yet in the form they are now, and AFAIK only Honda has good CVTs.

·
Registered
Spicy Red 2012 Optima SX + GWP 2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD
39 Posts
Having put 140K miles on a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD with a CVT and no known issues, I'm hoping my 2022 Kia Sorento will have a problem free life with my 8-speed DCT. I plan on keeping the fluids changed often. I also have a 200K mile warranty (100K OEM, 100K extended) so I should be covered either way.

So far, the DCT has been just fine. You do have to understand that it shifts differently from a standard automatic type transmission and learn its "character" in order to be super smooth with it (the way my wife likes me to drive). That is true of any car with it's unique engine/transmission way of operating. I really enjoy the crisp shifts when the go peddle is mashed (driving by myself that is).

Regardless, I'm following this thread over time and if there is a problem, I expect Kia to address it. They did an excellent job in standing behind me when they replaced my 2012 Kia Optima's 2.0L engine at 76K miles a few years back. I now have a "forever warranty" on that engine (as do any subsequent owners as it does transfer to them).

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
2022 Sorento EX+ AWD 2.5T
11 Posts
Hi,

I have 2022 EX+ and I think all the issues I had are actually characteristics of a DCT. Even in the manual it states to not creep in the car and always five yourself room to Rev up to speed. So far so good, but yes definitely a learning xurve getting used to creep judder.

Cheers,
Omer

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
347 Posts
I have a 2022 and no issues with the DCT. I also had a 2020 Kia Soul with a CVT and I just didn't like the feel of that transmission. Spongy... The Sorento's DCT is awesome so far. Fast and fun!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
31 Posts
I have been following the thread here titled: "2021 Kia Sorento transmission failed", and many of the posts list some pretty serious DCT transmission problems.

I`ve been thinking about making a move on one, but these issues scare the heck out of me.

Are there any 2022 owners out there experiencing the same problems, or has Kia solved them?

I have a 2021 Sorento with 9k miles: no major problems YET. I do have some of the same issues (surging, juddering) as others, takes some getting used to, but am hopeful that there will not be a major failure. Incidentally, for all the bad press that Nissan CVT's get, I had three different Nissans since 2007 and never had a trans problem; always worked and superb gas mileage. It's just the luck of the draw.....

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX-P X-line AWD
27 Posts

I have a 2022 Sorento SX-P X-line that I bought last October. So far no issues. I, too, have had to become accustomed to the slight shudder at low, low creeping speeds, like when just letting go of the brake at a traffic light. But after it hits second gear it's all good. Fast and smooth shifting after that and, if you want or need it to, it goes incredibly fast incredibly quickly. The only truly annoying piece so far is trying to slowly go through the dryer at a car wash. The Sorento does not seem to know how to gently move forward -like trying to hold back the leash on a huge dog that wants to run. I had also read about the transmission concerns, but the 100k powertrain warranty, and our experience with our 2021 Telluride, helped seal the deal (completely different transmission, yes. Just saying the dealer experience buying both was a huge positive -which is something I've never said before in my life).

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2022
19 Posts
Have a 2022 and sometimes i experience a mild vibration when the car is just about to come to a complete stop and when it is just about to go to Auto Hold (Traffic, Making a left turn Etc). It's almost like if you are driving a stick shift the car is going to stall. That's what the vibration of the car feels like. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm pretty positive it's the DCT and its Normal but i could be wrong. The car has 2,000 Kms now.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento XLine AWD EX
17 Posts
Have a 2022 and sometimes i experience a mild vibration when the car is just about to come to a complete stop and when it is just about to go to Auto Hold (Traffic, Making a left turn Etc). It's almost like if you are driving a stick shift the car is going to stall. That's what the vibration of the car feels like. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm pretty positive it's the DCT and its Normal but i could be wrong. The car has 2,000 Kms now.
Yeah, seems to be normal with these DCT. Same thing happens to me after coming to a stop, then trying to make a turn onto an intersecting street. As someone posted earlier, the transmission is not a fan of "creeping forward. " I recall the manual specifically stating not allowing the vehicle to coast while on an uphill road... makes sense. I can't speak to Auto Hold as I rarely use it.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2022
19 Posts
Yeah, seems to be normal with these DCT. Same thing happens to me after coming to a stop, then trying to make a turn onto an intersecting street. As someone posted earlier, the transmission is not a fan of "creeping forward. " I recall the manual specifically stating not allowing the vehicle to coast while on an uphill road... makes sense. I can't speak to Auto Hold as I rarely use it.

Yeah that's exactly what i've been experiencing. Good to hear that it's normal in these cars.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts