Kia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI AWD
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previous owner of a 2017 LX Sportage here, now with a 2021 SX Sportage T-GDI. I've had the vehicle now for about 10 weeks and have 5, 700mi.

I've noticed since I first took possession of the vehicle that with the moonroof open and the sunroof closed there's a lot of noises. Just sort of loose squishy rubbery noises. The noises go away completely when the moon roof is closed. There is no water or wind leak.

Is this normal or typical for these vehicles? I kind of hope not -- because it's very irritating... Anyone have any thoughts on this? That is, Is anyone currently experiencing this problem, or has had this problem and fixed it themselves, or have any good ideas on what to tell the dealership in hope that they can find and fix it?
(I have zero faith in dealer services)

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,772 Posts
Moon roof open and sunroof closed??? Do you mean sunshade closed? You only have ONE movable roof glass......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. Clearly you feel I have my terms confused. I thought the movable glass was called a sunroof, and the item you call a sun shade was called a moon roof. Because in the old days a sunroof was a solid piece of metal, not glass.

Regardless, what I mean is with the glass closed completely, and the " shade " open.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Okay, that's the reverse of what you originally said, but I'll take a stab at it - under no circumstances would you have the glass roof open and the shade closed. I'll have to think about it but I don't think that's possible anyway. So, with the glass closed and the shade retracted, there should be NO additional noise than there was with both closed. You may have a problem with the panoramic glass top if you're getting wind noise with it closed.
BTW, you can have it open at any speed, but do not open it at highway speed - open it and close it at slow speed. It might be okay to open/close it at highway speed but the one time I did it I thought it was coming off - the noise was incredible. However, it's amazingly quiet and not windy in the car with it open at highway speed. When I was shopping for the SX and found out they all have the opening top, I said 'I don't care, I'll never use it.' That didn't last long - I don't use it much but its a nice feature. I keep the shade open pretty much all winter - the sun is nice. In the summer when the sun is not so nice I keep the shade shut a lot. I like opening the top when the car's hot inside and then closing it for AC.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.

So. It's is NOT wind noise.

With glass closed, shade open....

There is just a sort of loose, rubbery, jiggly noise over every little road imperfection, even at slow (under 30mph) speed. With the shade closed the noise goes away immediately.

It is HIGHLY annoying.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
342 Posts
You might want to do a search in this forum. I recall several other folks here having issues with noise and if I remember right its was traced to the rubber seals either being loose or torn causing the glass not to sit correctly. Others here may remember those appends.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,658 Posts
Hmmm.

So. It's is NOT wind noise.

With glass closed, shade open....

There is just a sort of loose, rubbery, jiggly noise over every little road imperfection, even at slow (under 30mph) speed. With the shade closed the noise goes away immediately.

It is HIGHLY annoying.
My best guess is that the glass mechanism might be slightly off or loose. When you close the shade, it presses against that mechanism/seal, and tightens it up. None of our cars are perfect. While Kia is fairly good, they do not have the build quality of a Mercedes or Lexus. In addition, there can be a noise in one car coming off the line while the next car is perfect. A small percentage of Sportages have Theta engine issues, but most of ours are fine. I had a bothersome "squeak" in the hatch area when going slow. I kept checking for the source and kept bending and tightening stuff. It finally went away. I had a rattle under the dash for about a year, and now it is gone after futzing with some of the wiring. My car is fine now, but there is still more road noise than I would like. Don't get me wrong, I like my Sportage a lot, but it is not a highly built luxury car....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@rvoll ... That is all true. My 2017 LX, before it was stolen and trashed, seemed tighter at 80,000 mi than my almost brand new 2021 SX 🤷‍♂️.

I'm just not sure how to go about trying to fix this relatively minor but highly annoying sound from the sunroof. I have less than 0% faith in dealers when reporting this type of issue. They usually scoff openly, and even the ones that don't, merely pretend ineffectually. (In my experience over the last 35 years across many mfgrs) (It took five trips to two different dealers to convince anyone that my 2017 had an engine knock, which ultimately resulted in Kia replacing the entire engine, So even serious mechanical issues are often handled very poorly. I was flat out told twice on that journey that it's "impossible for a modern engine to knock", which is complete bunk.)

The 'info-tainmemt' system is pretty glitchy, and the keyless entry system and automatic e-brake are also a bit wonky and unreliable/unpredictable. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
100 Posts
@rvoll ... That is all true. My 2017 LX, before it was stolen and trashed, seemed tighter at 80,000 mi than my almost brand new 2021 SX 🤷‍♂️.

I'm just not sure how to go about trying to fix this relatively minor but highly annoying sound from the sunroof. I have less than 0% faith in dealers when reporting this type of issue. They usually scoff openly, and even the ones that don't, merely pretend ineffectually. (In my experience over the last 35 years across many mfgrs) (It took five trips to two different dealers to convince anyone that my 2017 had an engine knock, which ultimately resulted in Kia replacing the entire engine, So even serious mechanical issues are often handled very poorly. I was flat out told twice on that journey that it's "impossible for a modern engine to knock", which is complete bunk.)

The 'info-tainmemt' system is pretty glitchy, and the keyless entry system and automatic e-brake are also a bit wonky and unreliable/unpredictable. Oh well 🤷‍♂️
The very best thing you can do is notate everything in a log. If you have this many issues this early on you may be looking at a possible lemon law buyback if the dealer cannot fix it. The e-brake is especially concerning. Documentation is KEY when considering a lemon law buyback.

If the squeak is annoying enough to warrant constant irritation you might consider taking the vehicle to a trusted dealer (I know, I know....no dealer is trustworthy) but at least the service visit is documented with a KIA dealer.

The squeak may be as simple as needing some rubber seal conditioner. Or it may be as serious as an over-flexing or defective chassis. You need to get it documented. Your car has a warranty. Use it!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It occurs to me with additional info posted that its not the glass roof at all, but a peculiarity of the retractable sun shade. Probably something slightly amiss at the header where it seats = maybe only something needing a silicone spray or something like that. Find - fix it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@1saxman .... Possibly. But I kind of don't think so. With the sun shade retracted the noise is directly above my head not to the back where the sun shade rests. I think the idea that it is something to do with the rubber seals under the glass as presented by other posters makes sense.

@Kia_aiK ... I suppose that's true. You're right I don't trust any dealer and it's always such an absolute pain in the ass to go through the logistical hoops to schedule and then be told they can't or won't fix something which is what happens 95% of the time in my experience. I highly doubt it's anything that even remotely pertains to a defective vehicle or the lemon law, but your point of documenting things is well taken.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The squeak may be as simple as needing some rubber seal conditioner.
Occasionally I spray silicone spray onto a paper towel then wipe it onto the door & tailgate rubber seals. It cleans, softens & stops squeaks. I think that should work on the moonroof seals/gaskets too.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hmmm. Clearly you feel I have my terms confused. I thought the movable glass was called a sunroof, and the item you call a sun shade was called a moon roof. Because in the old days a sunroof was a solid piece of metal, not glass.

Regardless, what I mean is with the glass closed completely, and the " shade " open.
Okay, I got it wrong. Obviously its the glass roof in some way. Just take it in and get it fixed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And ... as expected my trip to the dealer service department was a fiasco.

I was told that the car was not designed to be used that way and that since that was the case they couldn't help me with noises like that. And that I was fiddling with the control in an unusual way to achieve that position.

So ... they literally told me that it wasn't normal or expected to have just the sunroof cover open, but the glass closed.

Riiiiiiiiiight ...

Complete. total. utter. idiots.

And of course I have the noise still, maybe worse.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mine is a 20 and the cover stayed open with the glass closed all winter and spring. Once the weather cools it will be open again No strange noises.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts