Kia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI AWD
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! 2021 SX T-GDI, just rolled 21k miles, just went through an automatic car wash (that I have used 40 to 100 times before on this vehicle) and now the LKA, HBA and FCA are all saying failed in the dashboard indicators ... I can turn off the car and let it sit for a few, start it again and have no warning for about 2-3min, then all 3 systems warning come back!

Ideas?

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo Black with beige interior
77 Posts
HELP! 2021 SX T-GDI, just rolled 21k miles, just went through an automatic car wash (that I have used 40 to 100 times before on this vehicle) and now the LKA, HBA and FCA are all saying failed in the dashboard indicators ... I can turn off the car and let it sit for a few, start it again and have no warning for about 2-3min, then all 3 systems warning come back!

Ideas?
You probably have ice or other matter on the sensor on the front of the grill.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing visible at least. The temperatures have been well above freezing here. There was a little bit of dirt on it before it went through the car wash.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No not at all. I made an appointment for a dealership on Thursday which I feel will be difficult and problematic and unsatisfactory because they always are.

Meantime apparently all these safety features are disabled.

It's very weird they just failed out of nowhere.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
131 Posts
I doubt the sensor package failed. More likely a an error or physical problem was triggered forcing a safety shutdown of the system.

Since it happened immediately following a car wash I am guessing water intrusion in to a connector. It may not have been fully seated.

If you aren’t getting satisfactory service at your regular dealer, you might try a different dealer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense. We'll see. Frustrating vehicle. Can't wait to move on.

I've tried five different Kia dealers in this metropolitan area (there might be one more) and they're all equally bad. And all much worse these days due to covid19 overload problems. I'm not sure I've ever really had a good interaction with any brand dealer mechanical service department in the last 35 years. (Probably I have somewhere along the line and just forgot it.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know how to access the connector for the sensor on the front grill? Or have a tutorial video or troubleshooting instructions?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
494 Posts
Check YouTube. Any 2017 - 2021 should be similar enough to get you the info you need.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I was not able to find any good tutorial on accessing the front sensor behind the grill. But apparently that's okay

Why?

I just had my first appointment with the dealer mechanic. They decided that once I got there they needed more than the two hours available to them so they couldn't actually take me but they read the codes and they say that tentatively the problem is not the sensor behind the front grill but in fact the camera mounted high at the roof line behind the rear view mirror and it has a chip malfunction in the camera that is disabling the whole safety system.

Of course what they need me to do is to come back for several hours to do a proper diagnostic on the books and then it will probably still take an additional one (to several weeks) to order the parts after which I'll have to come back in to have them replace the camera.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️😡😐

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
131 Posts
So I was not able to find any good tutorial on accessing the front sensor behind the grill. But apparently that's okay

Why?

I just had my first appointment with the dealer mechanic. They decided that once I got there they needed more than the two hours available to them so they couldn't actually take me but they read the codes and they say that tentatively the problem is not the sensor behind the front grill but in fact the camera mounted high at the roof line behind the rear view mirror and it has a chip malfunction in the camera that is disabling the whole safety system.

Of course what they need me to do is to come back for several hours to do a proper diagnostic on the books and then it will probably still take an additional one (to several weeks) to order the parts after which I'll have to come back in to have them replace the camera.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️😡😐
Not a perfect answer, but it is something. I can tell you every manufacturer is feeling the pinch right now. That’s no excuse for KIA dealership telling you to kick rocks on a scheduled appointment. I would frankly call KIA corporate and let them know you’re dissatisfied.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI FWD
30 Posts
Weird that this happened to you. I have a 2021 SX and was driving on the highway a few weeks back during a downpour. It was raining really hard to the point that people were pulling over. I’m used to it and it didn’t bother me but all off a sudden those lights went off on my car and it said they were disabled. Something else flashed across the screen about “radar” or “camera”being off as well. It kinda freeked me out so I slowed down and kept driving. As the rain let up, suddenly all the lights went out and everything was working again. I didn’t think much of it until I just saw your post. I have an appointment for service this Saturday (12k mile) maintenance. I’m going to have them check for any stored codes. I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Weird that this happened to you. I have a 2021 SX and was driving on the highway a few weeks back during a downpour. It was raining really hard to the point that people were pulling over. I’m used to it and it didn’t bother me but all off a sudden those lights went off on my car and it said they were disabled. Something else flashed across the screen about “radar” or “camera”being off as well. It kinda freeked me out so I slowed down and kept driving. As the rain let up, suddenly all the lights went out and everything was working again. I didn’t think much of it until I just saw your post. I have an appointment for service this Saturday (12k mile) maintenance. I’m going to have them check for any stored codes. I will keep you posted!
Sadly that sensor panel on the grill will act up in a heavy rain or if snow/ice builds up on it. Nothing the dealership can repair, as it is a design issue (location and material used).

Reactions: JoeW

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I can definitely concur with this. If a significant amount of mud or ice builds up on the grill especially over that rectangular panel in the front middle then some of these systems will be unable to function because their sensor, presumably the radar, are blocked. If you look carefully behind the grill you'll see that there is a fairly large sensor device and wiring immediately behind that rectangular plate.

In my particular case however apparently the problem is the camera mounted high on the windshield behind the driver rear view mirror.

A tip that I learned from a friend about this by the way: on your car insurance make sure to pay the extra to have the windshield coverage. If you do it will cover the cost of the mandatory camera recalibration if you have to have your windshield replaced. If you don't have this additional item in your policy, then the windshield will be replaced at your cost AND you'll be stuck with a several hundred dollar fee for recalibrating camera and sensors. This is a broad issue of many different model and brand vehicles with similar design of their safety systems.

... between the windshield and the safety recalibration it can add up to over $1,000 easily depending on the vehicle

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,159 Posts
Sadly that sensor panel on the grill will act up in a heavy rain or if snow/ice builds up on it. Nothing the dealership can repair, as it is a design issue (location and material used).

I apply Rain-X for plastic on my front panel and it helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Why?

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️😡😐
Finished second appointment. Confirmed high mount camera. Part arrives Tuesday, repair 3+ hours scheduled Wednesday. 🤞🤞

·
Registered
494 Posts
I apply Rain-X for plastic on my front panel and it helps.
Thank you for the suggestion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts