Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021, Kia Sportage EX 2.4L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We bought our 2021 EX in December of 2020. Yesterday when I was sitting in a parking lot gathering my things before turning my car off and all of the sudden the dash started flashing a bunch of warnings:

-Check Front End Collision Warning System
-Check Lane Keep Assist System
-Check High Beam Assist System
-Check Blind Spot Detection System

I turned the car off and thought maybe it just needed to reset since it was a hot day (it was parked in the shade).
On my drive home a couple hours later, about 5 minutes in the same warnings appeared. I called the dealership we bought the car at and they can't get us in for 2 weeks (same situation with all the other nearby Kia dealerships). Which would otherwise be fine except we have a road trip coming up before that and if our Kia is on the fritz I'm not sure if we should be driving it...

I've turned off all of those features (I think lol), but should I still be okay to drive it around to and from work until it's fixed? I just don't want to make any issues worse or cause any new ones.

Any suggestions on what it could be? I'd like to maybe have some ideas before we take it in. Would taking it to Autozone or O'Riley to check for codes be helpful? It seems to take about 5-10 minutes of the car being on for the errors to start appearing on the dash. My guess is some sort of sensor/camera issue that I read about other Kia models having when it gets really hot (it's been 100+ degrees for the past 2 weeks and our Sportage is black)? Any advice/thoughts are appreciated! Thank you!

Here's the picture I took yesterday of the warning lights:

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Really tough to say what is causing the errors without diagnostics. ADAS (Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems) are a VERY tightly-controlled, independent, secured network of computer and sensor modules that exist and operate alongside your vehicle's regular complement of computers and modules that manage the car's functions. Your 2021 Sportage EX is rated a Level 1 ADAS. Level 1 ADAS means you, as the driver, have the lion's share of the task of driving, but the vehicle can take limited control (like lane keeping assist).

I haven't heard of your particular issue happening, but my day job is in tech engineering - so I have some suppositions to offer.
  • It's not throwing errors immediately, which means the system believes those functions are working (or at least working well enough to pass the start-up checks).
  • The fact that it's consistently throwing errors 5-10 minutes after the engine start indicates those functions are not operating within established parameters. The system computer checks these parameters against the data coming in from the sensors. If the data is out of range, the system shuts these sensors down so as not to cause a malfunction which could lead to real-world consequences (such as braking hard when it's not required, or lane-keeping errors resulting in an unexpected steering control input).
  • If the vehicle still runs and drives normally with no abnormalities, my guess is the ADAS systems impacted (illustrated by the errors you are seeing) have been disengaged. The vehicle is likely safe enough to drive - you just won't have those ADAS assisting you.
Since many sensors are impacted, my very un-educated guess is that you've either got a wiring issue (mice and rats love chewing on wires due to the yummy insulation) or a sensor module is failing.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,655 Posts
Since it passes the original checks, I'm not convinced it is a wiring issue on a 2022 car. My best guess, given the particular warnings, is either a bad sensor, a blocked sensor, or something happening in the sensor control module. First check to see if the sensors on the top middle of the windshield are blocked. Then check the sensor in the middle of the front grille. That's the easy part. If it's not something simple like that, you'll have to bring it to a dealer. On my Sportage, I installed the license plate bracket upside down and covered part of the front sensor which caused faults. Fortunately, I figured that out. On your AWD car, that shouldn't be a problem...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts