Kia Forum banner

Transmission failed - DCT failures/ manufactured date - SA502A ECU update

104K views 433 replies 128 participants last post by  bnwguy 
#1 ·
I have a 2021 Sorento SX. I was wondering if anyone is having any transmission issues? My car has currently been sitting at the dealership for 60+ days awaiting a new transmission. Transmission failed at 3,200k miles. If so, has anyone had luck receiving a transmission?

#145 · (Edited)
Glad it worked out for you.
It appears that I am not going to be that lucky as Pennsylvania Lemon Laws stink. My car was a month over 12 months with on ly 4013 miles and it isn't covered.
And I have been told there are no transmissions to be had. So my Vehicle sits outside the dealership while I make the payments.

I would like to know just how many other members have had this Transmission problem and how long it took them to have the problem corrected.

I was driving down the road when a big red circle came up where the Tachometer usually shows and Said " Stop Safely Immediately" Big laugh like you have a choice you lose all power.
If any other member has had this same problem with the 2021 Sorento X LIne SX Prestige please let me know. And also how long it took you to either get the transmission or Vehicle replaced.

Hello all I just wanted to follow up with my experience with the 2021 Kia sorento xline sx prestige transmission failure.

So as you all know my Sorento got the Red Circle of Death, and was towed to the Shop . I was told I needed a transmission replacement.

I immediately contacted KIA Consumer Affairs they did not respond at first , but did finally. To make this short my Vehicle was Down from 2-14-2022 to 04-01-2022. It took 48 days, fortunaltely not the Months that others have mentioned here.
I received it back Today 04-01-2022, and it appears to working fine.
While I have seen other posts that stated Kia consumer Affairs is Horrible, I have to tell you,they were all professional, totally nice and totally helpful.
It appears that one get "more Flies with Sugar and Honey, than Vinegar"> To wit I was professional and nice to them, and they were the same to me, and it appears they went out of their way to make sure my Transmission got to the Dealer and Installed.
I will continue to purchase KIA, I find them one of the best vehicles on the road for the money, I have owned 6 Kia Sorento's and this is the first time I had a problem, and I feel that KIA did the best they could with the Supply Chain Shortage.

#149 ·
Sign that did appear were that it stayed in Lowest gear possible for a long time before it would shift, took it to the dealer that said they couldn't replicate it.
Also every now and then it would not shift properly, and shuddered when backing out of the garage.
Then there was no warning when it went.

This post has been deleted
#150 ·
I have a 21 Sorrento SX and my transmission light, check engine, and error display just came on. I called the dealership and told him the error. Without hesitation he knew exactly what I was driving. It’s always had weird hesitation and skips with the engine but I didn’t really think much of it. I just thought it was the new electronics or something.
How many miles on your Sorento?

#155 ·
22' Sorento SX - AWD (Canada):
Mine lags a bit from stop. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially in stop and go traffic. I think I read that you can creep a little bit as it is a wet type DCT, but not uphill. Thankfully my part of the country is not very hilly. There is a mild but noticeable shudder with spirited acceleration from a complete stop (red light). No shudder when I accelerate from a complete stop (red light) very gently. It's good to hear that all this is normal as this is my first DCT vehicle. Apart from that, this thing rips. I am amazed at how fast this car is. Absolute beast.

#157 ·
We have a 2021 Sorento SX also. Transmission went while we were in Florida, far from home; 11,000 miles on it. Car is currently sitting in Florida waiting for a transmission that is on back order! Had to rent a car to get home. I'm being told we can put in for trip interruption expenses and possibly our monthly lease payment. No loaner car offered. We won't know what will actually get reimbursed until we apply for it, so we're worried about renting a car while home. I'm going to check into lemon law.

#160 ·
We finally just finished the buyback on our 2021 Sorento, transmission failed at 6000. The whole process took 6 months, vehicle sat at dealership for 3 months waiting on transmission to be replaced. Then it took another 3 months to complete the buyback, this was without an attorney, but we got 100% reimbursement. Kia has without a doubt the worst customer service of any company in any industry that i've ever dealt with. I will never do business with Kia/Hyundai again, garbage vehicles with terrible customer service.

#165 ·
Was that Canada or US ? 6months....WOW......it's got to do with supply shortage and long waiting lists for new vehicles which have priority for manufacturing/assembly.....
[/QUOTE
That and the enormous amount of transmission failures they have. Both Sorento and Telluride have a very high likelihood of failure, this is from the service manager at Kia.
NC USA

#169 · (Edited)
I have a decision to make with a 22 Sorento that I could use some insight/help with.

My 2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-line transmission failed at 10400 mi. Long story short filed lemon law claim against them.

Out of a "goodwill" , a repurchase, and a replacement offer I chose replacement and they are working on getting one. Reason being I get a 22 because no 21s are left that has a few upgrades. Plus I get to reset my mileage (now 11,600) and I'm basically already paying towards my future vehicle. They just swap the VIN number in my loan that I'm down to 47 months from 60 now.

Also I only paid $48,614 OTD(7%tax all fees, and some extras too included) last April . Right now advertised prices near me are $53,200 (without taxes and fees).

So the question is once I get it do I trust it (2022 model) and keep it? Or sell it practically new?

I should be able to make money off it since I'm just swapping vehicles and paid what I paid for it and just get a Palisade or Telluride that doesn't have the same transmission

#272 · (Edited)
I have a decision to make with a 22 Sorento that I could use some insight/help with.

My 2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-line transmission failed at 10400 mi. Long story short filed lemon law claim against them.

Out of a "goodwill" , a repurchase, and a replacement offer I chose replacement and they are working on getting one. Reason being I get a 22 because no 21s are left that has a few upgrades. Plus I get to reset my mileage (now 11,600) and I'm basically already paying towards my future vehicle. They just swap the VIN number in my https://paydaysay.com/600-payday-loan/ loan that I'm down to 47 months from 60 now.

Also I only paid $48,614 OTD(7%tax all fees, and some extras too included) last April . Right now advertised prices near me are $53,200 (without taxes and fees).

So the question is once I get it do I trust it (2022 model) and keep it? Or sell it practically new?

I should be able to make money off it since I'm just swapping vehicles and paid what I paid for it and just get a Palisade or Telluride that doesn't have the same transmission
Thanks for sharing your experience on this issue. I wonder if there is such a problem in 2022. I don't know anyone who has it.

#170 ·
‘21 SX AWD ~18k mi. All was well until this past weekend. I was driving from Atlanta to NE Ohio and all of my safety systems malfunctioned putting the car in limp mode. I pulled over and turned the car off and back on and it disappeared, for 3 miles… it continued for about 8 cycles of the engine (8 stop and starts), but I was over 600 miles from home and this was upsetting. During the third cycle I took the time to clear ALL of my driving sensors and turned what I could off in the settings menus.

THIS WAS NOT DUE TO MY FRONT CAMERA BEING DIRTY! As mentioned, I cleaned all of them and my car was only dusty as I just had a car wash an hour before getting on the highway. Also, with it just going away after the eighth cycle proves it wasn’t a dirty camera or else it wouldn’t have stopped.

I took pictures and video for the dealer, but I already know they won’t be able to replicate the issue. I’m going to email the pics/vids to my service rep for reference.

Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part Tachometer

#205 ·
‘21 SX AWD ~18k mi. All was well until this past weekend. I was driving from Atlanta to NE Ohio and all of my safety systems malfunctioned putting the car in limp mode. I pulled over and turned the car off and back on and it disappeared, for 3 miles… it continued for about 8 cycles of the engine (8 stop and starts), but I was over 600 miles from home and this was upsetting. During the third cycle I took the time to clear ALL of my driving sensors and turned what I could off in the settings menus.

THIS WAS NOT DUE TO MY FRONT CAMERA BEING DIRTY! As mentioned, I cleaned all of them and my car was only dusty as I just had a car wash an hour before getting on the highway. Also, with it just going away after the eighth cycle proves it wasn’t a dirty camera or else it wouldn’t have stopped.

I took pictures and video for the dealer, but I already know they won’t be able to replicate the issue. I’m going to email the pics/vids to my service rep for reference.

View attachment 123437
I know this is off-topic from the main thread, but I don't know how to message you independently; did you find out what caused this latest issue, C-Trink?

#175 · (Edited)
My advice is don't ask random forum people for advice that only pertains to you. You may have luck asking how to change oil and such but your situation is a bit more unique and complicated.

But, for random advice. Keep the new car. Unless you want a different car. Then sell it.
Just trying to get a sense if the 2022s are having problems too, that's all. I don't know anyone that owns one, hence why I'm asking a forum of owners of 22' Sorento's (not really too random then) that may be able to give me some insight as to if failures are still occurring. I see you have a 21 though, so you're not part of the audience I'm trying to poll anyways. Thanks for trying to be helpful I guess, but I realize who my audience is here.

So again any 22' owners with transmission failures out there or anybody make it to 10-15k+ mileage on their 22' yet without problems? Thanks

#177 ·
I just had my DCT fixed in a 2021 Sorrento SX. From the advisor it seems pretty common on both the 21 and 22 models. The car was losing power at low RPMs or would not start back up if the start/stop was enabled. Took it to the dealership and took 26 days to fix the issue due to a back order of parts and ordering a new clutch. Good news is they gave me a rental the entire time so I put 3K miles on something that wasn’t my car in March.

#178 ·
I just had my DCT fixed. The car was losing power at low RPMs or would not start back up if the start/stop was enabled. Took it to the dealership and took 26 days to fix the issue due to a back order of parts and ordering a new clutch. Good news is they gave me a rental the entire time so I put 3K miles on something that wasn’t my car in March.
How is that related to this thread?

#181 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2021 Kia Sorento Prestige SX
18,260 miles, the transmission has failed
I made it to the dealership, when I got it into the service bay, it wouldn't go any farther.
This was on Friday, so I don't know exactly what they will find.
im still very upside down, I really love my vehicle
Could someone please advise.
The dealership did give me loaner vehicle, since I am an employee.
Just really frustrated.

Mine failed at 18k miles, it just happened on April 1,

#182 ·
Our 2021 Sorento SX needs a new transmission. Only 11,000 miles. Happened to us on vacation. Our car sits many states away waiting for a transmission on back order. Started a claim with Kia. Not given a loaner and told we could rent and put in for a review for reimbursement for expenses. It’s been 2 weeks so far.

#183 ·
Our 2021 Sorento SX needs a new transmission. Only 11,000 miles. Happened to us on vacation. Our car sits many states away waiting for a transmission on back order. Started a claim with Kia. Not given a loaner and told we could rent and put in for a review for reimbursement for expenses. It’s been 2 weeks so far.
It is expected that you get a rental or loaner in cases like this.

I would call the dealership manager and have him confirm that you will be reimbursed for a rental, and if he doesn't confirm, get hold of Kia Corp. - can't leave you hanging with the possibility that they might not reimburse.

They have already confirmed that its a warranty job.

#186 ·
We are preparing ourselves for that possibility. The timeline is coming up pretty soon for our lemon law to apply.
That would be my preference knowing the issues aren't going to disappear when they're replacing it with the exact same transmission as the one that failed.

#187 · (Edited)
2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-line bought April 27th, 2021. Failed transmission @ 10,400 mi November 8th. No loaner given & Kia corporate said they would reimburse up to $45 a day for rental coverage( which doesn't buy anything these days). Replaced transmission and took them 87 days due to parts being on back order. Thankfully instead of dealing with rental cars, I was able to borrow a second car in the family that nobody was using.

Filed lemon law claim after hitting the 30 days out for repair. Didn't use a lawyer and just got some information from my states consumer rights division that provided a PDF guide on how to go about lemon law claims.

Lemon claim approved by Feb 11th. Originally Kia said today we're not replacing any vehicles due to lack of inventory and they offered me a repurchase agreement and a goodwill offer.

Repurchase agreement was $37,166+ paying off the underlying loan of $6,700 totalling around $43,866. $3,625 was taken off for the reduction of mileage to account for the mileage that the vehicle was working in good condition for prior to the transmission failing.

2nd offer was the goodwill cash and keep. Simply keeping my vehicle, not having it marked a lemon and offering me $5,500 for my troubles.

After looking at current car prices, which only went up since my purchase and then conferencing with the consumer rights division for my state I decided to reject both offers and asked again for a replacement even if it would take some time. Alternatively I could just enter the arbitration process, but that I really wanted a replacement.

That's apparently all I had to say. Kia corporate then approved a replacement. Financially this made the most sense as I only paid $48,614 out the door after taxes for my current vehicle. Right now the same vehicle is selling for around $53 k before tax. They also don't have any 2021s left. So they're in the process of building me a 2022 and going to be giving it to me with no collateral exchange. Apparently they simply swap out the VIN number on the existing loan and I surrender my vehicle and pick up the new one. The 2022 has a few upgrades I'm looking forward to as well.

I was supposed to get the car April 10th here in a few days, and the car arrived early. Unfortunately when I called the dealership to check It was discovered that they built the car with the black interior instead of the rust interior like what I have. They messed up and I don't feel like settling. I told them to let the car go and start again. Now I already have 11,800 mi on my current vehicle, and I'm racking up more miles while waiting on them to build another vehicle. I couldn't care less because it's just saving the miles from going on the new vehicle. Plus my monthly payments are basically going towards the future vehicle with only 46 months left out of the original 60 and by the time I get the vehicle who knows what will be left. When all is said and done though I'll have basically driven this current car for a whole year and racked up miles, and then Kia will be forced to give me a brand new 2022.

Not too bad, and since I still have an extra car to use I honestly couldn't care less if the 2022 did the same thing. If they want to keep bleeding money and just giving me a replacement vehicle each year I blow the transmission I'll gladly file a lemon claim against them each time after having shoddy service and we can just keep this going haha. With inflation and the car market going crazy this really just turns this lemon into the best car deal out there. Thanks Kia!

#188 ·
2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-line bought April 27th, 2021. Failed transmission @ 10,400 mi November 8th. No loaner given & Kia corporate said they would reimburse up to $45 a day for rental coverage( which doesn't buy anything these days). Replaced transmission and took them 87 days due to parts being on back order. Thankfully instead of dealing with rental cars, I was able to borrow a second car in the family that nobody was using.

Filed lemon law claim after hitting the 30 days out for repair. Didn't use a lawyer and just got some information from my states consumer rights division that provided a PDF guide on how to go about lemon law claims.

Lemon claim approved by Feb 11th. Originally Kia said today we're not replacing any vehicles due to lack of inventory and they offered me a repurchase agreement and a goodwill offer.

Repurchase agreement was $37,166+ paying off the underlying loan of $6,700 totalling around $43,866. $3,625 was taken off for the reduction of mileage to account for the mileage that the vehicle was working in good condition for prior to the transmission failing.

2nd offer was the goodwill cash and keep. Simply keeping my vehicle, not having it marked a lemon and offering me $5,500 for my troubles.

After looking at current car prices, which only went up since my purchase and then conferencing with the consumer rights division for my state I decided to reject both offers and threaten to take them to arbitration unless they wanted to replace the vehicle and that I really wanted to replacement.

That's apparently all I had to say. Kia corporate then approved a replacement. Financially this made the most sense as I only paid $48,614 out the door after taxes for my current vehicle. Right now the same vehicle is selling for around $53 k before tax. They also don't have any 2021s left. So they're in the process of building me a 2022 and going to be giving it to me with no collateral exchange. Apparently they simply swap out the VIN number on the existing loan and I surrender my vehicle and pick up the new one. The 2022 has a few upgrades I'm looking forward to as well.

I was supposed to get the car April 10th here in a few days, and the car arrived early. Unfortunately when I called the dealership to check It was discovered that they built the car with the black interior instead of the rust interior like what I have. They messed up and I don't feel like settling. I told them to let the car go and start again. Now I already have 11,800 mi on my current vehicle, and I'm racking up more miles while waiting on them to build another vehicle. I couldn't care less because it's just saving the miles from going on the new vehicle. Plus my monthly payments are basically going towards the future vehicle with only 46 months left out of the original 60 and by the time I get the vehicle who knows what will be left. When all is said and done though I'll have basically driven this current car for a whole year and racked up miles, and then Kia will be forced to give me a brand new 2022.

Not too bad, and since I still have an extra car to use I honestly couldn't care less if the 2022 did the same thing. If they want to keep bleeding money and just giving me a replacement vehicle each year I blow the transmission I'll gladly file a lemon claim against them each time after having shoddy service and we can just keep this going haha. With inflation and the car market going crazy this really just turns this lemon into the best car deal out there. Thanks Kia!
You probably should read over your paperwork you signed with Kia. You can not just keep filling lemon law claims with the same manufacturer just to get a new vehicle.

#192 ·
A friend got a 4 cyl basic a few years back and his tranny crapped out before the first oil change. Brand new and lost confidence in the vehicle. Didn't want it repaired. He got the dealer to replace the Sorento with an exact match of another one. No problems with it.

If its fresh, push for a replacement as well. Your vehicle protection is much better than here and it didn't require 3rd party intervention.

Reactions: Trees and 491828