Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Sx Prestige
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Sorento SX. I was wondering if anyone is having any transmission issues? My car has currently been sitting at the dealership for 60+ days awaiting a new transmission. Transmission failed at 3,200k miles. If so, has anyone had luck receiving a transmission?

·
Registered
2021 Kia sorento EX, 08 Kawasaki nomad,
111 Posts
21 ex doesn't shift into second gear or 3rd for that matter it go up to 4,000 rpms . I have to let off the gas so it shifts. I'm one that also down shifts going down hills.
Anyway I put in in manual mode and instead of showing the gear it shows an " S " can't find anything in the manual.
Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,476 Posts
Lemon Law! Make them buy back the vehicle!

Reactions: Emily106

·
Registered
‘21 Sorento SX Prestige
4 Posts
I have a 2021 Sorento SX. I was wondering if anyone is having any transmission issues? My car has currently been sitting at the dealership for 60+ days awaiting a new transmission. Transmission failed at 3,200k miles. If so, has anyone had luck receiving a transmission?
Mines didn’t fail but I brought it in for a leak on the first week of august. Turned out to be a transmission leak and needed a new transmission. They ordered the part a week later. After a month and a half of no update, I started making calls to Kia and the dealership and told them I’m close to calling a lemon law lawyer. Now idk if it was the phone calls that did it, but I got a call last week about my part coming in this Wednesday and that I should get it by Friday at the earliest.

their excuse was always “COVID is slowing everything down.”

but I’m in California and hearing from people I know, they have told me that my car is not a lemon even though it’s been at the dealership for two months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mines didn’t fail but I brought it in for a leak on the first week of august. Turned out to be a transmission leak and needed a new transmission. They ordered the part a week later. After a month and a half of no update, I started making calls to Kia and the dealership and told them I’m close to calling a lemon law lawyer. Now idk if it was the phone calls that did it, but I got a call last week about my part coming in this Wednesday and that I should get it by Friday at the earliest.

their excuse was always “COVID is slowing everything down.”

but I’m in California and hearing from people I know, they have told me that my car is not a lemon even though it’s been at the dealership for two months.
Let me know when you get it back

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
418 Posts
I heard of a 2021 Sorento that they forgot to fill with DCT fluid and is sitting waiting for a new transmission.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
418 Posts
:oops: Yes it’s definitely not fun paying for a new vehicle then not being able to drive it due to it sitting on the lot waiting for parts.
I know you are furious! I'd be asking to see the owner and do a VIN swap to get you a new car! This is ridiculous to treat you like this.
THEY can wait for the transmission and sell it as used once fixed. You should be in a new car...

Reactions: Emily106

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX
10 Posts
We have a 2021 SX with less than 6000 miles sitting at the dealership with a failing transmission. Kia corporate has been completely unresponsive. This is a very dangerous vehicle. Please report all transmission issues to NHTSA, you can do this online and it only takes a couple of minutes.
If you go check out the Telluride forums you will see it’s not just a Sorento issue.

Please report this to the NHTSA. You can do it online and it’s quick. These vehicles are dangerous.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have a 2021 SX with leas than 6000 miles sitting at the dealership is with a failing transmission. Kia corporate has been completely unresponsive. This is a very dangerous vehicle. Please report all transmission issues to NHTSA, you can do this online and it only takes a couple of minutes.
If you go check out the Telluride forums you will see it’s not just a Sorento issue.

Please report this to the NHTSA. You can do it online and it’s quick. These vehicles are dangerous.
Thank you for sharing. I just completed the form with the NHTSA. I agree with you 100%. The way my transmission failed was very scary. It happened abruptly and left my children and myself in a very dangerous situation.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
33 Posts
Mine has 6k miles and has been acting up since day one. I am hearing comments like, "Oh, it's just the nature of the dual clutch transmission, you'll get used to it". Bull. The jerky, erratic nature of it is unpredictable and a hazard. I will be contacting the NHTSA also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine has 6k miles and has been acting up since day one. I am hearing comments like, "Oh, it's just the nature of the dual clutch transmission, you'll get used to it". Bull. The jerky, erratic nature of it is unpredictable and a hazard. I will be contacting the NHTSA also.
Yes, please do. The more of us that reaches out then maybe a solution will be reached.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,610 Posts
Only advice I can offer is to work at a Lemon Law refund, not replacement, and then go shopping again paying attention to avoid DTC and CVT transmissions.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX
10 Posts
Only advice I can offer is to work at a Lemon Law refund, not replacement, and then go shopping again paying attention to avoid DTC and CVT transmissions.
Our issues have little to do with the type of transmission, it goes completely in to neutral at all speeds without any warning. Never recovers until stopped and turned off. I’ll never EVER buy another Kia, not just because of a major mechanical at less than 6000 miles but because they have the most dismal customer service I’ve ever experienced in any industry. This was our first and last.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,610 Posts
Our issues have little to do with the type of transmission, it goes completely in to neutral at all speeds without any warning. Never recovers until stopped and turned off. I’ll never EVER buy another Kia, not just because of a major mechanical at less than 6000 miles but because the have the most dismal customer service I’ve ever experienced in any industry. This was our first and last.
You're welcome to your opinion with regards the type of transmission, but CVT and DTC are newer players in the market and have many more reported malfunctions, and that is not limited to the Kia brand.

I too would be totally put off a brand after what you're going through.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Our issues have little to do with the type of transmission, it goes completely in to neutral at all speeds without any warning. Never recovers until stopped and turned off. I’ll never EVER buy another Kia, not just because of a major mechanical at less than 6000 miles but because they have the most dismal customer service I’ve ever experienced in any industry. This was our first and last.
When this happens, does the warning light “stop safely immediately” appear?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX
10 Posts
Not on our vehicle, nothing happens, no sounds , no lights, no flashes. Just no transmission at all. My wife was almost rear ended on Saturday when it stopped functioning in traffic. Someone is going to get killed, but I don’t think they really care. They let customers burn to death in vehicles before they did the engine recall.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts