Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2021 Sorento S trim is about a month old. The car performs excellently. Steers dead nuts striaght and the electric power steering is smooth and easy. The transmission shifts smoothly and take off from start is excellent. A couple of points that could use improvement. You have my money now you get my critique.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of these points.

1. The engine shuts off while waiting at lights and starts the instant you take your foot off the gas. It tends to jerk a little if you go from brake to gas quickly. In addition to save the battery the heater shuts down with the engine. It's now 25F outside so I don't want the heat to be shutting off while I wait at traffic lights. It looks like the default when starting up is with this feature enabled. As a result I press the AOC button to defeat this. There should be a way to disable this feature permanently rather than having to defeat it after every start.

2. The tire pressure monitors don't tell the pressure until you put it in gear and start to move. I would like to know if my pressures are low before I start off for work in the morning. My 10 yr old Santa Fe gave you a warning the instant you started the engine.

3 One of the back seat adjusters was defective. The Kia mechanic at the dealer fixed it but in the process when leaning on right rear door trim the black plastic shattered. Of course because the car is a brand new model the dealer did not have the parts in stock to replace it so I have to live with ugly exposed sheet metal in my brand new car until the part comes in. You might think about beefing up some of these parts. After all they will get stepped on by passengers while entering and exiting the vehicle. Not a very good advertisement when people look at the car either.

4. My previous Hyundai had a navigation package built into the infotainment system. The only expense was an occasional map update which I never did. Now there is the UVO system but it is a subscription service that you pay for every month and it links to your cell phone for navigation. It requires your cell phone all ready have a navigation navigation app installed. I don't need any more bills. If a stand alone navigation upgrade is available for the S trim I would like to know about it. Seems to me it should exist on any Android based system. I want to,pay once and be over with it.

5. The push to open gas fill door is just plain dumb. The previous Hyundai's and Kia's I have had all had a lever release inside the car. Now I look forward to a nice wear spot from my thumb on my nice PEARL WHITE finished car.

6. The car came with a swing up hood support which came down on me with a gust of wind the first week I had it. All the holes were there for hood gas struts.I retrofitted to to gas struts for $25. Every ad I have seem with the hood up for a 2021 Sorento shows two gas struts holding up the hood. That's how I figured out how they were installed. This vehicle cost me $40,000.00. Those swing up hood stands make the car look cheap along with the fact they are dangerous.

Now for some of the good points:

1. I live in a northern climate with snow. The remote start seems to automatically put the defroster on. That's a great idea.

2. The wiper park where by you can with a series of steps have the wipers park at the halfway point on the windshield for easy cleaning and access is a great idea. In heavy snows I park them and flip them up to scrape off the windshield.

3. The electric steering is great in that it does not tax the engine while idling or moving slowly nor does the assist lessen at low engine RPM. This has been around a while but it is the first time I have had it and it makes the car a pleasure to drive.

4.The new smart key FOB with the buttons on the side showed someone is listening. My last smart key was always triggering the panic alarm when I put it into a pants pocket. I would sit in my living room and complain about the noise made by someones panic alarm only to find out it was my own.

Over all I like the car and believe it to be a good investment. It replaced a Veracruz I bought used which became a money pit. The car comes with 5yrs and 60K warranty which I extended to 10 for $4,300.00. I have to say to Kia that was a little pricey considering I did the same thing on my wife's Santa Fe for $1,300 back in 2011. Back then it was worth it. The steering rack failed in that car at 9 years and 11 months.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
466 Posts
2. The tire pressure monitors don't tell the pressure until you put it in gear and start to move. I would like to know if my pressures are low before I start off for work in the morning. My 10 yr old Santa Fe gave you a warning the instant you started the engine.
The way the tire sensor work, you don't get pressure until the car is moving, the transmitters are motion activated. If they transmitted while the car was stationary, you'd run the battery dead in the tire sensors within a year instead of the 7-8 years they last now.
4. My previous Hyundai had a navigation package built into the infotainment system. The only expense was an occasional map update which I never did. Now there is the UVO system but it is a subscription service that you pay for every month and it links to your cell phone for navigation. It requires your cell phone all ready have a navigation navigation app installed. I don't need any more bills. If a stand alone navigation upgrade is available for the S trim I would like to know about it. Seems to me it should exist on any Android based system. I want to,pay once and be over with it.
I don't think the UVO system has anything to do with NAV, at least in my 2020 Sorento. Yes, UVO is subscription, but you don't need that to get nav on the screen in your car. The cell phone nav you complain of is the free google maps/nav, no more bills. Also, if you have Android Auto, you just connect the cell phone and you have the nav on your infotainment screen.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
85 Posts
My new 2021 Sorento S trim is about a month old. The car performs excellently. Steers dead nuts striaght and the electric power steering is smooth and easy. The transmission shifts smoothly and take off from start is excellent. A couple of points that could use improvement. You have my money now you get my critique.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of these points.

1. The engine shuts off while waiting at lights and starts the instant you take your foot off the gas. It tends to jerk a little if you go from brake to gas quickly. In addition to save the battery the heater shuts down with the engine. It's now 25F outside so I don't want the heat to be shutting off while I wait at traffic lights. It looks like the default when starting up is with this feature enabled. As a result I press the AOC button to defeat this. There should be a way to disable this feature permanently rather than having to defeat it after every start.

3 One of the back seat adjusters was defective. The Kia mechanic at the dealer fixed it but in the process when leaning on right rear door trim the black plastic shattered. Of course because the car is a brand new model the dealer did not have the parts in stock to replace it so I have to live with ugly exposed sheet metal in my brand new car until the part comes in. You might think about beefing up some of these parts. After all they will get stepped on by passengers while entering and exiting the vehicle. Not a very good advertisement when people look at the car either.

5. The push to open gas fill door is just plain dumb. The previous Hyundai's and Kia's I have had all had a lever release inside the car. Now I look forward to a nice wear spot from my thumb on my nice PEARL WHITE finished car.

6. The car came with a swing up hood support which came down on me with a gust of wind the first week I had it. All the holes were there for hood gas struts.I retrofitted to to gas struts for $25. Every ad I have seem with the hood up for a 2021 Sorento shows two gas struts holding up the hood. That's how I figured out how they were installed. This vehicle cost me $40,000.00. Those swing up hood stands make the car look cheap along with the fact they are dangerous.

Now for some of the good points:

1. I live in a northern climate with snow. The remote start seems to automatically put the defroster on. That's a great idea.

2. The wiper park where by you can with a series of steps have the wipers park at the halfway point on the windshield for easy cleaning and access is a great idea. In heavy snows I park them and flip them up to scrape off the windshield.

3. The electric steering is great in that it does not tax the engine while idling or moving slowly nor does the assist lessen at low engine RPM. This has been around a while but it is the first time I have had it and it makes the car a pleasure to drive.

4.The new smart key FOB with the buttons on the side showed someone is listening. My last smart key was always triggering the panic alarm when I put it into a pants pocket. I would sit in my living room and complain about the noise made by someones panic alarm only to find out it was my own.

Over all I like the car and believe it to be a good investment. It replaced a Veracruz I bought used which became a money pit. The car comes with 5yrs and 60K warranty which I extended to 10 for $4,300.00. I have to say to Kia that was a little pricey considering I did the same thing on my wife's Santa Fe for $1,300 back in 2011. Back then it was worth it. The steering rack failed in that car at 9 years and 11 months.
All good points , sorry about the hood! Please send a picture of your gas strut hood setup and link on part if you can , I would love to install, thanks. And congrats

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way the tire sensor work, you don't get pressure until the car is moving, the transmitters are motion activated. If they transmitted while the car was stationary, you'd run the battery dead in the tire sensors within a year instead of the 7-8 years they last now.
I don't think the UVO system has anything to do with NAV, at least in my 2020 Sorento. Yes, UVO is subscription, but you don't need that to get nav on the screen in your car. The cell phone nav you complain of is the free google maps/nav, no more bills. Also, if you have Android Auto, you just connect the cell phone and you have the nav on your infotainment screen.
My veracruz was 13 years old and the tire pressure sensors still worked. My Santa Fe is 10 years old and the tire sensors still work. I will look further into the NAV issue. Shame the saleman didn't know that. He told me I had to activate UVO to use a NAV ap on my cell phone. Of coarse he didn't know how much the gas tank held.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,044 Posts
Nothing beats knowing what you are buying BEFORE you buy.....

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good points , sorry about the hood! Please send a picture of your gas strut hood setup and link on part if you can , I would love to install, thanks. And congrats
Check Out this
Hood Struts 2021 Sorento
Nothing beats knowing what you are buying BEFORE you buy.....
I agree. The second way is to ask the salesman who is selling it to you.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Check Out this
Hood Struts 2021 Sorento

I agree. The second way is to ask the salesman who is selling it to you.
A sure way for failure!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try this link.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A sure way for failure!!!!!!!!!!
I guess so. I like the car. I had a lot of recomendations from people who owned 2019 and 2020's There was very little info on this brand new version in December of 2020. We are slowly learning. What trim did you buy on your 2021?

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I guess so. I like the car. I had a lot of recomendations from people who owned 2019 and 2020's There was very little info on this brand new version in December of 2020. We are slowly learning. What trim did you buy on your 2021?
There was plenty of info in Nov and Dec 2020!!! Sounds like you don't even know what you are missing..

The "2021 Preview" thread has been active for many months......just another resource you could have used...

Since mar 2020 based on the Korean road tests, I was ready to buy a Sorento HEV in SX or higher trim.

When USA marketing only offered the HEV in 2 stripper trims, I considered a Sorento SX.

Upon comparing Features with the 2021 Santa FE's and the Korean/ Europe Sorentos, there was NO way the Sorento was in consideration, in ANY trim.

Will now buy a Santa Fe Limited HEV in a few months or hope for a Calligraphy PHEV in 6 months.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
What id lacking in the 2021?
It's been repeated over and over again.........

Spend some useful time and read the posts in "2021 Preview" thread.

You bought a stripper trim, if you're happy, that's Great.....

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
69 Posts
It's been repeated over and over again.........

Spend some useful time and read the posts in "2021 Preview" thread.

You bought a stripper trim, if you're happy, that's Great.....
No Harassment. Try to keep discussions on a positive note.

You're harrassing a new member who has a whopping 21 posts. Try to remember when YOU had 21 posts.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
69 Posts
What id lacking in the 2021?
For your S trim, not a lot. The silly prop rod instead of a proper hood lift; you won't have a 115V outlet in the 2nd row. As you get into higher trims like SX and higher, there are more significant de-contenting issues. (Though the use of a prop rod on a $35K car in 2021 is just appalling, IMO.)

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
No Harassment. Try to keep discussions on a positive note.

You're harrassing a new member who has a whopping 21 posts. Try to remember when YOU had 21 posts.
LOL, worry about yourself!!!

I have had no change since my 1st post many years ago.....

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S AWD
48 Posts
LOL, worry about yourself!!!

I have had no change since my 1st post many years ago.....
I second DenverBrian, you were being kinda rude.

I have an S trim. It's mostly the wife's car. Wish it had the turbo engine. The 191 ponies under the hood are pretty quickly sapped at highway speeds. Otherwise, nice car. Ours has the panoramic roof, which I must have or else the whole car feels like a cave, long and dark. Don't love the black wheels, but they're fine.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I second DenverBrian, you were being kinda rude.

I have an S trim. It's mostly the wife's car. Wish it had the turbo engine. The 191 ponies under the hood are pretty quickly sapped at highway speeds. Otherwise, nice car. Ours has the panoramic roof, which I must have or else the whole car feels like a cave, long and dark. Don't love the black wheels, but they're fine.
I like the car but if you don't call out the problems they never get fixed. You wonder if after spending $40k anyone would have an objection unless you a Kia salesman. None of those reviews addressed any of my complaints. The Santa Fe does not have the third row seat which I needed for my family. I like the looks of the car. Hyundai redid all their cars a couple of years ago and I don't like the way they look.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You know, after a couple of weeks with our SX-Prestige, I suspect the thing I'll end up being most annoyed about, because I'll never hear the end of it when my wife realizes, is the lack of third row AC vents.

Luckily / unluckily depending on how you look at it, its unlikely we'll have any family visiting again this summer so the third row will be in limited use for a while. By the time we really start using it again, at least one of the kids will be out of the booster so they'll get the penalty box seat.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's why I deliberately avoided the sunroof. People would cook in the 3rd row of my Veracruz on a sunny day and that car had 3rd row AC vents.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
466 Posts
You know, after a couple of weeks with our SX-Prestige, I suspect the thing I'll end up being most annoyed about, because I'll never hear the end of it when my wife realizes, is the lack of third row AC vents.
That's a bit surprising, my 2020 SX has the separate A/C controls for the 3rd row, I didn't realize they didn't have that for the 2021 models! It is a bit puzzling why they left out so many of the desirable features for the 2021 models.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts