Kia Forum banner
141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 · (Edited)
#7 mod: High performance air filter (replacing stock box) with heat deflector and modified cold air intake. I do love the "blow off" sound. Silly, at my age, but true.
NOTE: I took off the cold air intake and removed the front section of it and then reinstalled (just 2 clips) because it looks like it will help (a little) to feed "cold air" towards the filter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
#8 mod: Radiator protection screen - Installed without removing any parts.
1. cut to shape
2. apply black duct tape to cut ends. This will prevent scratches during installation and rattling noise after installation.
3. fold horizontally and insert through grill
4. patiently and carefully unfold and fit - using both hands reaching through grill.
5. pull forward GENTLY with fingers and needle nose pliers (pliers will break screen if pulling too hard)
6. arrange screen behind grill and orientate for the best fit possible
7. bend the tip(s) of zip tie(s) and insert through the screen and pull back to hook the bent tip back through the screen. (hard to describe but I hope it makes sense)
8. grab the tip(s) of zip tie(s) that were bent and stuck through with a needle nose plier and pull the tip toward you to wrap around grill and secure the tie
TIP 1: don't fold the screen vertically, it will break. You CAN fold horizontally (the way it was rolled to ship)
TIP 2: DO fold screen vertically to cut it. It's cleaner and easier than using a tin snip (true for vertical cuts only).
NOTE: for those planning to use this screen on the upper radiator section - I don't tink it will hide the silver radiatiors behind it (as theorized and hoped)

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
#7: High performance air filter (replacing stock box) with heat deflector and modified cold air intake.
View attachment 120580
While it may pull in more air, it's going to be hotter than the stock box. Being a turbo engine, it's going to get heated up even more and I'd be willing to bet hurts performance.

Now if you could get that intake filter further away and say down next to the fog light, you could pull in cooler air and help performance a little bit.

Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
While it may pull in more air, it's going to be hotter than the stock box. Being a turbo engine, it's going to get heated up even more and I'd be willing to bet hurts performance.

Now if you could get that intake filter further away and say down next to the fog light, you could pull in cooler air and help performance a little bit.
Perhaps, but I drove today while over 90f outside and performance was not impacted. Also, on my return, I opened the hood and felt around and there is not a great deal of radiatiing heat near the filter. But I'll keep monitoring.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Perhaps, but I drove today while over 90f outside and performance was not impacted. Also, on my return, I opened the hood and felt around and there is not a great deal of radiatiing heat near the filter. But I'll keep monitoring.
It does get warm near there, but as you know right underneath the stock box is pretty much drivetrain. It’s not too promising being able to get this to a true CAI location. I’ve never owned an automatic with a diverter valve.

I thought of removing the back half of that snorkel also, but it didn’t seem to practical. There’s a ram scoop on the other side of that under the trim that feeds it and puts the air right towards the conical filter.

Reactions: HaymakerBaker

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
79 Posts
Any tint on the front windows or windshield is illegal here in Michigan too 😁 well you can legally tint the top 4" of the the front windows and windshield but it just looks dumb.

Thankfully most cops around here don't care. I've even had a conversation with a state cop the other day at the gas station while standing next to my Sorento with the windows illegally tinted. We talked about tinted windows and said he doesn't bother unless you are doing something else to catch his attention.
...sure makes their job riskier though :mad:

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
...sure makes their job riskier though :mad:
🤣 Riskier....nope. Someone could easily have a pistol on their side between them and the door and quickly pull it out and catch a cop by surprise when they walk up to the window with zero tint on any of the windows. That's so much crap it's riskier.

The chief of police in the town I live in has all his windows tinted, including his whole windshield, on his personal vehicle. I've been pulled over many times in my other vehicle for tinted windows. They walk up, tell me they pulled me over for my tinted windows but not going to give me a ticket. They run my paperwork and let me go. If it was a risk to them, they wouldn't let me go time and time again with big even a written warning.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
79 Posts
🤣 Riskier....nope. Someone could easily have a pistol on their side between them and the door and quickly pull it out and catch a cop by surprise when they walk up to the window with zero tint on any of the windows. That's so much crap it's riskier.

The chief of police in the town I live in has all his windows tinted, including his whole windshield, on his personal vehicle. I've been pulled over many times in my other vehicle for tinted windows. They walk up, tell me they pulled me over for my tinted windows but not going to give me a ticket. They run my paperwork and let me go. If it was a risk to them, they wouldn't let me go time and time again with big even a written warning.
Well, that opinion certainly isn’t universal among officers, I can assure you. What I stated wasn’t just my opinion.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
Well, that opinion certainly isn’t universal among officers, I can assure you. What I stated wasn’t just my opinion.
No, those cops should be saying the truth instead of lying it's riskier. The truth is they are just lazy as tinted windows require them to pull people over instead of just looking through the windows.

Those cops are probably the same ones that complain about Waze/Google showing cop locations saying it puts them at risk as well. In reality it just makes it harder for them to give out tickets with their speed traps.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line (Canadian Spec) - Aruba Stone Green
59 Posts
No, those cops should be saying the truth instead of lying it's riskier. The truth is they are just lazy as tinted windows require them to pull people over instead of just looking through the windows.

Those cops are probably the same ones that complain about Waze/Google showing cop locations saying it puts them at risk as well. In reality it just makes it harder for them to give out tickets with their speed traps.
Not that I like to get into this kind of discussion online, I think you're generalizing quite a bit and using a small sample size (your town chief) to defend your point. You're also refusing to admit the simple, and more common sense scenario: Regardless if you think the person is being pulled over legitimately or not, or that officers will need to increase their stops (which would create a whole other scenario as people will see more stops = harassment, etc., etc. ) the officers not being able to see into your vehicle clearly during a stop is going to increase the tension/risk. Yes, someone can have a gun without tinted windows, but that doesn't negate the extra tension/risk an officer could potentially feel as they walk up to a car with heavily tinted windows.

An officer once told me, if you get pulled over at night, regardless of reason, just turn on your interior lights. That one little act goes a long way to providing a sense of calm and security as they walk up to your car. Turns out, he was right. Whenever I'm pulled over at night and I do that, the officers typically comment or tend to be lenient.

:)

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
Distracted driving i.e texting and driving is illegal in most states but police seldom take any action on this, but it remains illegal and dangerous.

The fact that you know a few cops that turn a blind eye to the illegal tinting doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Darkly tinted windows make even simple traffic stops dangerous for law enforcement

In the below PDF, do a word search for "tint".

Reactions: Mr. Wigglesworth

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
Not that I like to get into this kind of discussion online, I think you're generalizing quite a bit and using a small sample size (your town chief) to defend your point. You're also refusing to admit the simple, and more common sense scenario: Regardless if you think the person is being pulled over legitimately or not, or that officers will need to increase their stops (which would create a whole other scenario as people will see more stops = harassment, etc., etc. ) the officers not being able to see into your vehicle clearly during a stop is going to increase the tension/risk. Yes, someone can have a gun without tinted windows, but that doesn't negate the extra tension/risk an officer could potentially feel as they walk up to a car with heavily tinted windows.

An officer once told me, if you get pulled over at night, regardless of reason, just turn on your interior lights. That one little act goes a long way to providing a sense of calm and security as they walk up to your car. Turns out, he was right. Whenever I'm pulled over at night and I do that, the officers typically comment or tend to be lenient.

:)
Oh I get it, yes not being able to see inside but if I get pulled over I roll all the windows down, turn the vehicle off, turn on my hazards, and have my paperwork on the dash with my hands on the steering wheel. I've often just pulled over if I see the cop turning around or pulling out for me even before they turn on their lights. I've got out of many speeding tickets doing this. 😁

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
Distracted driving i.e texting and driving is illegal in most states but police seldom take any action on this, but it remains illegal and dangerous.

The fact that you know a few cops that turn a blind eye to the illegal tinting doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Darkly tinted windows make even simple traffic stops dangerous for law enforcement

In the below PDF, do a word search for "tint".
It's not just a few cops that turn a blind eye. I've been pulled over at least a dozen times by local, county, state and they have all let me go with the tint. I've driven by dozens more and they leave me alone.

Considering that every state has a different law when it comes to tint, what's illegal in one state can be legal in a dozen other ones. Different states/areas of the country have issues other places don't. We don't have the same issues they have out in new mexico or other states out west.

I speed every day, as do most people, but cops often choose to let you speed on by as long as you are excessively speeding more than the flow of traffic.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
I speed every day, as do most people,
That is reaching - might be your perception, but highly unlikely for the general population.

It is a policy here that we do not allow the promotion of illegal activities an any form.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
53 Posts
That is reaching - might be your perception, but highly unlikely for the general population.

It is a policy here that we do not allow the promotion of illegal activities an any form.
Reaching, no. I drive every day and often in a test vehicle driving around as well. I very rarely come across people driving the speed limit on a highway. Just about everyone will drive at least 1-2 mph over the speed limit and often the flow of traffic is between 5-10 mph over as well.

But here is data showing the actual average speed of drivers in Michigan and how much the average driver is going over the speed limit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. cut to shape
2. apply black duct tape to cut ends. This will prevent scratches during installation and rattling noise after installation.
4. patiently and carefully unfold and fit - using both hands reaching through grill.
5. pull forward GENTLY with fingers and needle nose pliers (pliers will break screen if pulling too hard)
7. bend the tip(s) of zip tie(s) and insert through the screen and pull back to hook the bent tip back through the screen. (hard to describe but I hope it makes sense)
8. grab the tip(s) of zip tie(s) that were bent and stuck through with a needle nose plier and pull the tip toward you to wrap around grill and secure the tie
TIP 1: don't fold the screen vertically, it will break. You CAN fold horizontally (the way it was rolled to ship)
TIP 2: DO fold screen vertically to cut it. It's cleaner and easier than using a tin snip (true for vertical cuts only).
NOTE: for those planning to use this screen on the upper radiator section - I don't tink it will hide the silver radiatiors behind it (as theorized and hoped)
View attachment 120585
@noshortcuts Nicely done (both with the actual install itself and the 'how-to'). Thank you for taking the time to share this.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2021 3.5L AWD EX (GCC Spec), 7 seater
24 Posts
1. cut to shape

View attachment 120582
View attachment 120583 View attachment 120584 View attachment 120585
Very nicely done, looks clean and the cable ties are almost invisible. What size mesh is that?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
24 Posts
Very nicely done, looks clean and the cable ties are almost invisible. What size mesh is that?
The mesh is from Amazon, search AggAuto car grill mesh. Size is 6x12mm/Black Rhombic. I am following "noshortcuts" lead to add to my X-Line.
There is a discussion of the grill mesh at this thread:

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
1. cut to shape
I think this is about as good as it's gonna get without removing 90% of the front end. Really nicely done. What do you think the odds are of the mesh shifting slightly and causing play in the zip ties? I'm concerned about the ties scuffing up that lower trim. Also, likelihood of a rock impacting the mesh and changing the structural integrity of it? Is there any chance that mesh can find it's way into the engine bay in pieces?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I think this is about as good as it's gonna get without removing 90% of the front end. Really nicely done. What do you think the odds are of the mesh shifting slightly and causing play in the zip ties? I'm concerned about the ties scuffing up that lower trim. Also, likelihood of a rock impacting the mesh and changing the structural integrity of it? Is there any chance that mesh can find it's way into the engine bay in pieces?
I doubt it will move at all and certainly not enough to do damage. The ties hold it firmly forward. If a rock ever damaged it, I don't think pieces would come off. Because it's mesh, even a broken part is still connected somewhere. And no, there's no access to the engine bay so worst case would be if a piece of mesh damaged the radiator but it already stopped the rock and a piece of screen would not likely have the heft or velocity to damage the radiator.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts