Kia Forum banner
81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
I saw a Telluride today with that cool flashing 3rd brake light mod. I really want that for my Sorento but they seem difficult to find and I'm not looking to get those cheap $25 adapters from ebay that might just set my car on fire lol.
Anyone have it done on their Sorento and what was their experience with it?
If you want a “real” version that is smart enough to blink only after the first depress of the pedal, buy one on Amazon and actually solder it and waterproof the connections. The fires you speak of are usually someone who has no idea about electronic splicing.

You can actually accomplish this very easily if you know electronics and for very cheap. However; most people do not.

If you use splicing connectors that just clip onto wires, you may start a fire or be just fine and never have a problem. It’s all about knowledge. The dealer should be able to help for a very hearty price.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Got an envelope style cargo net on Amazon Prime for $19.95:
Envelope Cargo Net

It's not a "hybrid" like KIA OEM's, but better than $65 from the dealer (or $54 on kiastuff). That’s the Amazon pic on another vehicle.

Reactions: jslabonte and JstGo

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento X-line
6 Posts
Has anyone installed a hood deflector? I saw one on Kias website but I’m pretty sure they raise prices. $200 seems a bit steep but not sure if there is other options that fit. Same with a sun shade for the windshield. Being in California with no covered parking at work, I’d like to try and protect my interior as much as possible. Again, Kia has one but it’s $97 and has the big KIA wording on it!
We installed one on our x-line, it looks good.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
Which ones did you buy if you don't mind me asking?
Based on his ad-hoc license plate hider :D ...

...I'm gonna guess it's the amber version of these:

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
24 Posts
Based on his ad-hoc license plate hider :D ...

View attachment 120082

...I'm gonna guess it's the amber version of these:

Haha yep! Lamin-x amber tint film. I did a wet install because of the curvature of the light. DONT APPLY DRY

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
Haha yep! Lamin-x amber tint film. I did a wet install because of the curvature of the light. DONT APPLY DRY
Damn it haha I completely missed that! Thanks for the tip about the wet apply. Going to order mine now and hopefully I can get them done next week.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Reactions: Ohnoitsroman

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Got the lamin x film on today. havent cut the tabs off yet though View attachment 120077 View attachment 120078 View attachment 120079

A couple of things I've found on Lamin-X's site that I've inquired about:

They offer a "Headlight Kit" (SKU: K054) that provides films for the entire front lighting (headlight, turn signal, side marker, and fog light; awesome! (Pictured below, Credit to:Ohnoitsroman for using their picture to display) However; they provide two color options, one for the headlight color and one for the fog light color. I'm asking they begin offering a kit that allows you to choose headlight color and turn signal color. So I can accomplish tinted headlights and amber turn signals.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

They do not offer a film for the headlight assemblies only, they only come in this full-front lighting kit. So I can't just get that in tint and the turn signals only kit in amber. So I'd have to waste some money and have extra films that would not be used.

Gretchen from Lamin-X has already reached out and is working on building a custom headlight kit product to make this work for my request! They're quick and I'll keep you guys update.

Reactions: Giancarlo90

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
A couple of things I've found on Lamin-X's site that I've inquired about:

They offer a "Headlight Kit" (SKU: K054) that provides films for the entire front lighting (headlight, turn signal, side marker, and fog light; awesome! (Pictured below, Credit to:Ohnoitsroman for using their picture to display) However; they provide two color options, one for the headlight color and one for the fog light color. I'm asking they begin offering a kit that allows you to choose headlight color and turn signal color. So I can accomplish tinted headlights and amber turn signals.

View attachment 120101

They do not offer a film for the headlight assemblies only, they only come in this full-front lighting kit. So I can't just get that in tint and the turn signals only kit in amber. So I'd have to waste some money and have extra films that would not be used.

Gretchen from Lamin-X has already reached out and is working on building a custom headlight kit product to make this work for my request! They're quick and I'll keep you guys update.
Gretchen at Lamin-X was only able to comp me the price of the turn signal covers alone off of the order of the full headlight kit. So I could get the turn signals in amber separately for an equal price.

I honestly think they are still confused at my request so I’ll wait and see what shows up. I might have a
“TINT” set of turn signal covers I’d be looking to get rid of potentially it seems.

Not sure if the coupon code she provided me is one time use, but for the Headlight Kit (SKU: K054) you can try coupon code NOFOGS for $10 off. I tried it on another product and it didn’t work, but did on that SKU. Worth a shot for anyone interested.

Reactions: Ohnoitsroman

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
24 Posts
Gretchen at Lamin-X was only able to comp me the price of the turn signal covers alone off of the order of the full headlight kit. So I could get the turn signals in amber separately for an equal price.

I honestly think they are still confused at my request so I’ll wait and see what shows up. I might have a
“TINT” set of turn signal covers I’d be looking to get rid of potentially it seems.

Not sure if the coupon code she provided me is one time use, but for the Headlight Kit (SKU: K054) you can try coupon code NOFOGS for $10 off. I tried it on another product and it didn’t work, but did on that SKU. Worth a shot for anyone interested.
Awesome!
Excited to see what they actually send you haha.
Pics when installed!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Verified that coupon code: NOFOGS will continue to work for the Headlight Kit (SKU: K054) for $10 off, but cannot be applied with other coupons.

The reason I'm also interested to see what is delivered is that the coupon code she provided is NOFOGS, indicating she thought I was talking about fog lights when I was really asking about the Turn Signal films. Eh; it evened out for me and we'll see what is delivered. Huge thanks to @Ohnoitsroman for getting the first pics and video of the (almost) final result! Cut those tabs Ohnoitsroman 😝

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
88 Posts
I'd love to see a mod to add 360 degree video recording to the Sorento SX Prestige, like the Teslas do. That would be so sweet! Using the built in 360 degree camera system of course.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
79 Posts
How about we list and/or illustrate any mods we make in one place.
  1. Hood struts have been done following this mod: Hood Struts 2021 Sorento
  2. Roof rails (X-line in this case). I just received Turtle roof rails after reading this thread: Roof Rails - Sorento 2021 X Line
  3. 2" Receiver Hitch and Wiring Harness. AFAICT there are no aftermarket hitches yet but I had the dealer install the Kia hitch. It took them 2.5 hours as they were surprised to find that Kia had not brought any electricity to the rear of the vehicle (like they do for the Palisade) so they had to run wiring all the way to the engine compartment.
  4. Foot-well lighting. I added lighting front and back, using this product when it was $35: Amazon.com: OPT7 Aura Interior Car Lights LED Strip Kit-16+ Smart-Color, Soundsync, Door Assist, Show Patterns, and Remote-Accent Underdash Footwell Floor, 4pc Single Row: Automotive It was easy to install and hide all wiring. The lights turn on with the car. I have them set to match the purple color of the Kia screen but they can be white or any other color. They can also dance to the beat of music which is too much fun for me to handle.
  5. Fumoto / Quick and Clean Oil Changes: I always do my own maintenance and have used this on several cars. Every car should come with one: Amazon.com: F106SX: New Generation Fumoto Valve with 14mm-1.5 Thread Size: Automotive
That's if for me - so far ...

6. NEW: (3/12/21) Radar Detector - Hard Wired with Mirror Tap!

If you want pictures or have questions, let me know.
[/QUOT
Regarding mods,I don't know if I'm the only one on this forum that notices this, but here goes:
I love my 2021 Sorento SX, but I don't like the way the radiator/ intercooler looks behind the grill. The radiator has horizontal lines, and the intercooler has vertical lines. It wouldn't be nearly as noticeable if they'd simply painted them flat black, like all cars used to be. Eastwood makes a specialty black radiator paint that only leaves a very thin laquer coat, so there shouldn't be a concern about heat transfer. Actually it was common years ago to paint dirt bike engine cooling fins black, as black supposedly releases heat better than light colors. Yes, I know dark colors also absorb radiant heat more. I am 100% unconcerned that it would cause any cooling issue, but am very concerned that if there was some engine failure or the like, warranty could be an issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
79 Posts
Regarding mods,I don't know if I'm the only one on this forum that notices this, but here goes:
I love my 2021 Sorento SX, but I don't like the way the radiator/ intercooler looks behind the grill. The radiator has horizontal lines, and the intercooler has vertical lines. It wouldn't be nearly as noticeable if they'd simply painted them flat black, like all cars used to be. Eastwood makes a specialty black radiator paint that only leaves a very thin laquer coat, so there shouldn't be a concern about heat transfer. Actually it was common years ago to paint dirt bike engine cooling fins black, as black supposedly releases heat better than light colors. Yes, I know dark colors also absorb radiant heat more. I am 100% unconcerned that it would cause any cooling issue, but am very concerned that if there was some engine failure or the like, warranty could be an issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
I wouldn't touch it, warranty concerns of course. I can see it now, "Sir/Ma'am, your black paint corroded the rad and impacted the structural integrity of the unit. We aren't covering the leak, and by the way that'll be $1250, rad is backordered 6-8 weeks."

I believe some people have created black screens that both hide the rad/intercooler, and provide a little protection from debris. Might be worth looking into, as it's easily removed if you need to have Kia look at anything

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
I wouldn't touch it, warranty concerns of course. I can see it now, "Sir/Ma'am, your black paint corroded the rad and impacted the structural integrity of the unit. We aren't covering the leak, and by the way that'll be $1250, rad is backordered 6-8 weeks."

I believe some people have created black screens that both hide the rad/intercooler, and provide a little protection from debris. Might be worth looking into, as it's easily removed if you need to have Kia look at anything
Ditto on @Mr. Wigglesworth. Use some 3x6mm Rhombic mesh in black like below to deter the eye from your issue. The vertical/horizontal contrast will be negligible with the proper mounting of this type of grille fabric behind your factory grille. And to @TD Charlie 's point, it will help with debris. Actually; now I want to do this!

Amazon
Hand Photograph Mouth Facial expression Muscle

81 - 100 of 164 Posts