Kia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige/X-Line
52 Posts
Modification Question:

Will there be an official way to get the new Kia logo and install it on our 21's?

Or will this be more like an eBay/Amazon type thing?

I don't really care right now, but as the new logo becomes more predominant, I'd rather the car not look dated already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noise treated the back part, less reverberation over bumps now. I pulled the 3rd row, bottom half of the rear panels, and storage area. Also did the rear hatch but didn't notice much difference there. I put https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XMF3KK5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this on top of the rear fender and quarter panels. Also on the floor under the rear seat, even on top of the factory deadening. I also put some carpet jute on top of the fender well on the fender side and under the rear storage area. I believe most of the improvement came from the floor area, maybe the wheel well.

·
Registered
'21 Prestige SX
28 Posts
I noise treated the back part, less reverberation over bumps now. I pulled the 3rd row, bottom half of the rear panels, and storage area. Also did the rear hatch but didn't notice much difference there. I put https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XMF3KK5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this on top of the rear fender and quarter panels. Also on the floor under the rear seat, even on top of the factory deadening. I also put some carpet jute on top of the fender well on the fender side and under the rear storage area. I believe most of the improvement came from the floor area, maybe the wheel well.
Could you do a DIY of this procedure or have pictures? I am interested in doing the wheel wells to lessen the road noise from the tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have no pictures but. Start with removing the wide cover that the latch sticks out of (pull up, it pops out, will want to pull weather stripping back). Open cover of rear storage and empty. There are two little covers that pops out revealing a screw underneath on the right side and one on the left. The storage tray pops up when pulled. Can pull cover off battery part for so you have more to grab. Remove third row seats. Easy enough to do. There are three screws on the bottom of each side cover. You will see them when prior stuff is removed. Bottom carpet pulls out afterwards, it Velcro attaches to the mid carpet. You will have to pull up the threshold of the back doors too. Look for screw afterwords. Unbolt second row and third row seatbelts at the bottom. Side covers (bottom half)will snap out. Behind both side covers is a cover that will unscrew to remove. You have access to all you need. If you want the rear hatch covers, start at top center and work down on each side removing screws as needed. The large hatch handle half removes exposing two screws. Will have to unclip I believe the wiring harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line (Canadian Spec) - Aruba Stone Green
59 Posts
Question and this is serious, I'm not being an ass. It's just truly something I've never understood and that's because it isn't for me... But, why do so many car owners like to make their vehicle louder?

I work for a bunch of radio stations and we have a truck for our Country station that is lifted, super loud, etc... I almost feel like I'm being a dick when I hit the gas to pass some elderly couple or something.

Working in the media taints me the other way, towards quiet cabins and clean audio systems.

Just curious. It it kind of like a factor of what you grow up around car wise? I grew up in a very rural area and it was pretty much older, non modded cars.

Just figured I'd ask someone nice on here, instead of being verbally assaulted on Reddit.
This is a hard question to answer, I have co-workers who literally don't care what kind of car they drive as long as it gets them from A to B. Conversely, there are absolute car nuts that take a car and modify it to personalize, create separation from others etc. Then there are people in the middle. For me, while I would never really modify my X-Line's exhaust because I don't see it as a performance vehicle, I did have a 98 Dodge Dakota, 318, 5-speed, regular cab short box that was lowered and had a full cat-back system installed and more.

I think the biggest hurdle for people to understand is that for some, driving fast, or owning a performance car is a visceral experience. To enhance that feeling we change parts to increase the power, speed, handling, and sound. All of those elements translate to the driver. You feel the power when accelerating, pushing into the seat. You can feel the limits of grip as you chuck the car through a corner on the edge of traction, you can hear and feel the exhaust, ramping up as you push through the gears. It's an indicator of what's going on. Very much like the build-up during a classically composed symphony. The car is literally talking to you, telling you a story, as corny as that sounds.

I had to explain to a non-car friend, and the best way I could do it is make a comparison about books (he's a huge book worm). I simply said you know the smell when you crack a older book open? The feeling of well-read and worn pages, the weight and crease in the spine? All of those physical traits have an impact on your "feeling or experience" of reading. Same as mods for car guys.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige FWD in Everlasting Silver
41 Posts
I went kinda crazy with a few mods about a week after I took ownership of my '21 SX PRestige.

Started with replacing the valve caps - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9L4WBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then went fancy with the Silicone License plate holder - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YPNG8SD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tinted front windows to match the rear section and added Sunstrip to the windshield to block out that fierce Florida sun.

Planning on adding the Homelink mirror and the 3M clear bra on the hood/front panels (dump trucks on the highway are a paint chipping nightmare) in the near future.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige/X-Line
52 Posts
This is a hard question to answer, I have co-workers who literally don't care what kind of car they drive as long as it gets them from A to B. Conversely, there are absolute car nuts that take a car and modify it to personalize, create separation from others etc. Then there are people in the middle. For me, while I would never really modify my X-Line's exhaust because I don't see it as a performance vehicle, I did have a 98 Dodge Dakota, 318, 5-speed, regular cab short box that was lowered and had a full cat-back system installed and more.

I think the biggest hurdle for people to understand is that for some, driving fast, or owning a performance car is a visceral experience. To enhance that feeling we change parts to increase the power, speed, handling, and sound. All of those elements translate to the driver. You feel the power when accelerating, pushing into the seat. You can feel the limits of grip as you chuck the car through a corner on the edge of traction, you can hear and feel the exhaust, ramping up as you push through the gears. It's an indicator of what's going on. Very much like the build-up during a classically composed symphony. The car is literally talking to you, telling you a story, as corny as that sounds.

I had to explain to a non-car friend, and the best way I could do it is make a comparison about books (he's a huge book worm). I simply said you know the smell when you crack a older book open? The feeling of well-read and worn pages, the weight and crease in the spine? All of those physical traits have an impact on your "feeling or experience" of reading. Same as mods for car guys.
Thanks, that is similar to what another member said. They equated it to wrapping a vehicle in your favorite color. I get it now, between the two of you.

It's a question I have always wanted answered, but never been in a community where I felt like it was okay to ask.

Thanks for taking the time!

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige FWD in Everlasting Silver
41 Posts
I'm new to the Kia brand and was also wondering why so many people are interested in modding the emblem so much? The logo doesn't look bad to me, while the new logo looks more modern.
I think some people like the modern look of the alternate Kia logo. I have also read that some equate the KIA logo with “Killed In Action”, though I suspect it’s more of an aesthetic preference. The stylized K logo is the logo used in Korea and is arguably much cooler than the plain text Kia logo badges.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige
19 Posts
Well, my SX-Prestige is a lease, so I cannot do anything extra to it . I like it the way it is anyway , lol...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm fairly annoyed there's no easy way to input favourite POIs into the Nav. I tried using a Logitech wireless keyboard plugged into the Phone Projection USB port, so at least I could key in coordinates with a normal keyboard. No such dice.

For the fun of it, I tried random keyboard presses. There's a few things here, but nothing enough to be useful:
  • The arrow keys and tab work to switch between the top row buttons (menu and display off), but not to navigate the home screen (nav/media/settings/etc).
  • Function key and escape (on the keyboard) turns off the display, not sure what the keyboard sends when I press this.
  • Ctrl-Alt-Del restarts the Nav system.
  • Print Screen takes a screenshot, and even brings up a dialog saying that the screenshot was taken! I have no idea where this is saved. The dialog is in the old Nav font/style too, meaning there's some unimplemented cruft in the background that's happening.
  • No mouse/cursor support.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did a few minor mods myself with my 2021 Sorento S trim.

the exterior lighting in the S trim unfortunately comes mostly equipped with standard halogen bulbs except for the low beam and high beam which is LED. I was able to change the rear turn signals and license plate light to LASFIT LED bulbs with canbus. The rear turn signals are size 1156 and the license plate lights are 194/168. No problems at all. The signals blink perfect and no hyperflash. The license plate bulbs are whiter and so much brighter and just gives it an overall cleaner look. I want to change the brake light bulb as well. However i'm not sure if the LED will work without throwing an error code since the brake light is a 2 in 1 bulb (both running and brake). I want to switch out the front turn signals but its so damn hard to remove the bulb from the socket. Tried changing the reverse bulbs as well but it's impossible for me to reach from under the rear bumper.

For this spring/summer i'm thinking about buying the 20" telluride S trim wheels on ebay or something. My S trim came equipped with 18" black polished wheels. I'll keep this thread posted if i make it happen.
How did you go about replacing the license plate lights? Did you have to take the whole rear panel off?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento S AWD
25 Posts
How did you go about replacing the license plate lights? Did you have to take the whole rear panel off?
i just had to pry out the license plate light assembly. no need to remove any panels.
Just a FYI to pry out the license plate lights was a little bit of hassle. I used a plastic scraper and wrapped a flathead screwdriver with a bandana to make sure i don't scratch the paint. basically i just kept prying back and forth until the light assembly came loose and i was able to pry it out. Once i swapped the bulbs i was able to click the light assembly back into place.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
New pet liner, Amazon rear cargo cover from a brand called F-Color. Installed easily and feels good. Non slip backing and suction support to keep the sides up. At first I thought that was it and then I realized it had 3m adhesive Velcro pads in 6 spots to keep the sides ACTUALLY up. The suction isn’t really needed

Amazon link

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento X-Line Gravity Gray
5 Posts
New pet liner, Amazon rear cargo cover from a brand called F-Color. Installed easily and feels good. Non slip backing and suction support to keep the sides up. At first I thought that was it and then I realized it had 3m adhesive Velcro pads in 6 spots to keep the sides ACTUALLY up. The suction isn’t really needed

Amazon link
What size did you get for this?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
i just had to pry out the license plate light assembly. no need to remove any panels.
Just a FYI to pry out the license plate lights was a little bit of hassle. I used a plastic scraper and wrapped a flathead screwdriver with a bandana to make sure i don't scratch the paint. basically i just kept prying back and forth until the light assembly came loose and i was able to pry it out. Once i swapped the bulbs i was able to click the light assembly back into place.
So just going at the license plate bulbs didn't pan out well. Most other vehicles I've had, have had a pull to one side to remove capability. Basically; slide left pull on the right side and pop out. These; not so much. I attempted this on the first one and bent the retaining clip on one side. After seeing the fixture outside of the mount I realized how they were mounted and was able to get my pry tool to push the clip in and remove it. Much easier. Here are pictures for reference. I'm going to also create another post for people seeking this info later.

Reactions: noshortcuts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
BTW; I was able to bend the retaining clip back in place with no rattles or issues on the first one.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts

Amazon link
The adhesive on the velcro IS NOT 3M. It's cheap. However; a very pukey and shedding dog and a couple of hundred miles and back, the cover worked very well. I luckily have a roll of 3" 3M automotive adhesive to re-apply the velcro backing once each falls off. TBH; it is hard to adhere to the porous trim material in general. I don't even believe 3M will suffice, but for a trip, it holds up well. I don't believe I will need to re-affix the velcro each time in any situation. The piece that fell of was under stress from the dog and it makes sense it would fall off. This piece attaches directly behind the 3rd-row seat belts so you have to pull the belt to the side and attach it. This means it's being pulled on the entire time (even in the seat belt holder).

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
I saw a Telluride today with that cool flashing 3rd brake light mod. I really want that for my Sorento but they seem difficult to find and I'm not looking to get those cheap $25 adapters from ebay that might just set my car on fire lol.
Anyone have it done on their Sorento and what was their experience with it?

61 - 80 of 164 Posts