Kia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
Has anyone added anything to make their Sorento sound louder? Nothing crazy, but maybe changing the exhaust tip? The XLine has a downward exhaust tip so I feel changing it to a longer or wider one might not be the best, but also I don't take it off road so I guess it might not matter. Also if anyone has changed the emblems? I've heard that the front is just clipped on but the rear is stuck on with adhesive.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Has anyone added anything to make their Sorento sound louder? Nothing crazy, but maybe changing the exhaust tip? The XLine has a downward exhaust tip so I feel changing it to a longer or wider one might not be the best, but also I don't take it off road so I guess it might not matter. Also if anyone has changed the emblems? I've heard that the front is just clipped on but the rear is stuck on with adhesive.
Exhaust: I have wondered also about letting the beautiful engine have a bit more voice and decided to shelve the idea given the downward exhaust and see if any purposeful aftermarket kits ever become available.
Emblems: I got new emblems that are black and grey with an older KIA lettering but may not install. The front emblem is on so tightly I don't see how to release it without getting violent. I may wait for the bumper to come off, for whatever reason, and then examine the clips from the inside.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
140 Posts
I have wondered also...
About letting the beautiful engine have a bit more voice
and decided to shelve the idea given the downward exhaust and see if any purposeful aftermarket kits ever become available.
I got new emblems that are black and grey with an older KIA lettering but may not install. The front emblem is on so tightly I don't see how to release it without getting violent. I may wait for the bumper to come off, for whatever reason, and then examine the clips from the inside.
It’s clipped in , have to cut it or take off bumper

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
NEW MOD: Hard-wired Radar Detector (mirror tapped)
View attachment 117900 View attachment 117901 View attachment 117902

View attachment 117903
Suction mount works VERy well on the plastic behind the mirror so there's no need to mount to the windshield (illegal where I live) or to the mirror stem (whick needs a costly add-on mirror mount).
View attachment 117904
Wire taps were VERY tight. I had to trim and file the pins to get them to fit the wire harness. The wire harness has three wires and you need to tap wires #1 and #3, not the middle wire.
NOTE: Yes, I know I have black to red and red to black for the taps. I guessed wrong on the pins and didn't want to pull the taps once they were finally in.
Thanks for the pics and tips. I've been wondering whether I'd still be able to use my Valentine 1 in the Sorento, what with all the radar-based safety systems. I just figured those days were over for me after decades in comparatively "dumb" cars. How's your experience been with it so far?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
I have wondered also...
About letting the beautiful engine have a bit more voice
and decided to shelve the idea given the downward exhaust and see if any purposeful aftermarket kits ever become available.
I got new emblems that are black and grey with an older KIA lettering but may not install. The front emblem is on so tightly I don't see how to release it without getting violent. I may wait for the bumper to come off, for whatever reason, and then examine the clips from the inside.
I've ordered vinyl emblem stickers for the car. Taking them off would be a project I currently do not have the time for. Maybe later this year when these better weather. So the stickers would a cheap $20 compromise. I should get them next week and hopefully get them installed. I will post pictures of it if anyone is interested. I will also be taking my car to get washed soon. I'm hesitant since everyone says the gloss black pillers on the car get really scratched but I'll see how it goes and see how well the stickers hold up. It was only $20 on Etsy, so if they fall off I won't care much. It's worth a shot I guess.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for the pics and tips. I've been wondering whether I'd still be able to use my Valentine 1 in the Sorento, what with all the radar-based safety systems. I just figured those days were over for me after decades in comparatively "dumb" cars. How's your experience been with it so far?
The R7 with the latest firmware (which is said to have made a huge difference) and with smart usage of the plethora of settings makes the detector mostly silent unless there is a real threat. I love it so far. You can turn on/off any individual band and you can set individual bands to different volumes. You can also set individual bands to be scanned for but always muted. Plus, I set the screen to a purple color to match the Kia screen and my floor lights, LOL.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S 2.5 GDI USA
88 Posts
How about we list and/or illustrate any mods we make in one place.
  1. Hood struts have been done following this mod: Hood Struts 2021 Sorento
  2. Roof rails (X-line in this case). I just received Turtle roof rails after reading this thread: Roof Rails - Sorento 2021 X Line
  3. 2" Receiver Hitch and Wiring Harness. AFAICT there are no aftermarket hitches yet but I had the dealer install the Kia hitch. It took them 2.5 hours as they were surprised to find that Kia had not brought any electricity to the rear of the vehicle (like they do for the Palisade) so they had to run wiring all the way to the engine compartment.
  4. Foot-well lighting. I added lighting front and back, using this product when it was $35: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU5LOT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was easy to install and hide all wiring. The lights turn on with the car. I have them set to match the purple color of the Kia screen but they can be white or any other color. They can also dance to the beat of music which is too much fun for me to handle.
  5. Fumoto / Quick and Clean Oil Changes: I always do my own maintenance and have used this on several cars. Every car should come with one: Amazon.com: F106SX: New Generation Fumoto Valve with 14mm-1.5 Thread Size: Automotive
That's if for me - so far ...

6. NEW: (3/12/21) Radar Detector - Hard Wired with Mirror Tap!

If you want pictures or have questions, let me know.
Which Fumoto fits the 2.5 GDI?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
Which Fumoto fits the 2.5 GDI?
I assume, but don't know for sure, that it's the same size as the one he linked to. A keyword search of the Amazon Q&A and reviews seems to indicate that that size is common across a range of Kias, possibly all of them. Since our cars are so new, however, one of us will have to be the guinea pig and verify at some point.

EDIT: Fumoto's own site only goes to 2020, but all Kias use the same size. Link: All Products

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone figure out how to prevent the 'safety' message from popping up every time you start the car or switch users? (the one you have to hit the 'Confirm' button or wait until it disappears)

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
I've yet to see a single modern car where that disclaimer can be gotten rid of. It would be nothing but downside for the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
15 Posts
NEW MOD: Hard-wired Radar Detector (mirror tapped)
View attachment 117900 View attachment 117901 View attachment 117902

View attachment 117903
Suction mount works VERy well on the plastic behind the mirror so there's no need to mount to the windshield (illegal where I live) or to the mirror stem (whick needs a costly add-on mirror mount).
View attachment 117904
Wire taps were VERY tight. I had to trim and file the pins to get them to fit the wire harness. The wire harness has three wires and you need to tap wires #1 and #3, not the middle wire.
NOTE: Yes, I know I have black to red and red to black for the taps. I guessed wrong on the pins and didn't want to pull the taps once they were finally in.
CORRECTION: The plastic piece comes off easily. There is a notch. DONT pry from there. Pry from the headliner at the top and it pops off.
Is this the stock US mirror or the "homelink" mirror?

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S 2.5 GDI USA
88 Posts
Is this the stock US mirror or the "homelink" mirror?

Thanks,

Derek
It's the homelink and compass type. Requires 3 wires.. Ground, battery and ignition all of which are available in the center console lights just above. I bought one used and a mating connector on ebay for less than $50 US. I downloaded the pages of the service manual dealing with the trim , connectors for the center console lights, and headliner removal. There is a wiring diagram for the mirror on line . You can buy a kit from Kia for around $300US. Comes with instructions but they have you snake wires down to the fuse panel through the driver side windshield pillar. A little more work and all you need is less than 6 inches away. Just remember that this is a Kia, a snap together car. Don't do anything if you are not experienced working on this type of car. Consult the service manual first or you will break stuff. All ways disconnect the negative battery terminal. If the battery is connected and you slip you get t have your car towed to the dealer to have the ECM or some other big bucks item replaced.

·
Registered
2021 2.5L 4-Cyl Kia Sorento S FWD
7 Posts
Switched out the emblems. Rear: Run dental floss behind the back of the emblem and use a little goo gone to loosen the adhesive. Clean with alcohol, put on new emblem. Front: use a Dremel or similar tool to cut (carefully) emblem into pieces. Take off each piece using needle nose pliers. Try not to mess up surface so your new emblem will adhere properly. When cutting, you don’t have to get all the way to the edge (1-2mm away should be enough to break off the piece). I’d recommend doing this on a day you plan to wash your car, as cutting it will leave a ton of dust and you’ll likely want to wash your car after.
Final result: I like the new emblems, but if they come out with aftermarket ones with the new Kia logo, i’ll probably switch these out, which should be easy. Flat black emblems on a glossy black car may not have been the best choice, but I’m only out like $35 so no biggie.

LINK TO EMBLEMS ON AMAZON

Vehicle Car Plant Tire Grille

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
78 Posts
Looks good. Supposedly all ‘22 models will have the new logo

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
15 Posts
Where did you access the settings for the valentine 1 to defeat the car's adaptive radar false alarms? The manual just says to not use the car's radar functions.

TIA,

Derek

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige/X-Line
52 Posts
Question and this is serious, I'm not being an ass. It's just truly something I've never understood and that's because it isn't for me... But, why do so many car owners like to make their vehicle louder?

I work for a bunch of radio stations and we have a truck for our Country station that is lifted, super loud, etc... I almost feel like I'm being a dick when I hit the gas to pass some elderly couple or something.

Working in the media taints me the other way, towards quiet cabins and clean audio systems.

Just curious. It it kind of like a factor of what you grow up around car wise? I grew up in a very rural area and it was pretty much older, non modded cars.

Just figured I'd ask someone nice on here, instead of being verbally assaulted on Reddit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Question and this is serious, I'm not being an ass. It's just truly something I've never understood and that's because it isn't for me... But, why do so many car owners like to make their vehicle louder?

I work for a bunch of radio stations and we have a truck for our Country station that is lifted, super loud, etc... I almost feel like I'm being a dick when I hit the gas to pass some elderly couple or something.

Working in the media taints me the other way, towards quiet cabins and clean audio systems.

Just curious. It it kind of like a factor of what you grow up around car wise? I grew up in a very rural area and it was pretty much older, non modded cars.

Just figured I'd ask someone nice on here, instead of being verbally assaulted on Reddit.
Yeah, reddit usually gives you dickhead answers to your questions lol well I like sports cars and most likely won't be able to afford a $70k or $80k sports car that sounds great. I don't need it to be so loud my neighbors hate me but just a little bit more omff! when I start it or when I accelerate, know what I mean? This car is quite when you start it and I've always wanted a little more. Also most sports cars are sedans or fastbacks and you don't really get really aggressive SUVs. Unless you can drop $100k or more on a Trackhawk or an Range Rover Sport SRV, you don't have a lot of choices. Id rather have an SUV, they are more practical. To me, making the car a little louder is the equivalent of someone who really wants to wrap their car in their favorite color. It brings them a little bit more joy when they see it, so it would make me happier if it was a little louder. It's also not the end of the world for me. I can live without it, it isn't a necessity. I do want to clarify, and no disrespect, but the people who modify their little civics to sound like they are racing in the Daytona 500, please stop lol. It's a little too much when they are driving down main street going 5mph but their cat is so loud that the store front windows are shaking. I hate it but its what makes them happy, just sometimes it's too much.
Hope that answers your question better than reddit could :)

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige/X-Line
52 Posts
Yeah, reddit usually gives you dickhead answers to your questions lol well I like sports cars and most likely won't be able to afford a $70k or $80k sports car that sounds great. I don't need it to be so loud my neighbors hate me but just a little bit more omff! when I start it or when I accelerate, know what I mean? This car is quite when you start it and I've always wanted a little more. Also most sports cars are sedans or fastbacks and you don't really get really aggressive SUVs. Unless you can drop $100k or more on a Trackhawk or an Range Rover Sport SRV, you don't have a lot of choices. Id rather have an SUV, they are more practical. To me, making the car a little louder is the equivalent of someone who really wants to wrap their car in their favorite color. It brings them a little bit more joy when they see it, so it would make me happier if it was a little louder. It's also not the end of the world for me. I can live without it, it isn't a necessity. I do want to clarify, and no disrespect, but the people who modify their little civics to sound like they are racing in the Daytona 500, please stop lol. It's a little too much when they are driving down main street going 5mph but their cat is so loud that the store front windows are shaking. I hate it but its what makes them happy, just sometimes it's too much.
Hope that answers your question better than reddit could :)
This is a thoughtful, fantastic explanation. Your linking it to a wrapped color really helped me understand.

Thank you!

·
Registered
'21 Prestige SX
28 Posts
I'm new to the Kia brand and was also wondering why so many people are interested in modding the emblem so much? The logo doesn't look bad to me, while the new logo looks more modern.

41 - 60 of 164 Posts