Kia Forum banner

2021 Sorento Mods - Share and discuss

126355 Views 439 Replies 83 Participants Last post by  C-Trink
How about we list and/or illustrate any mods we make in one place.
  1. Hood struts have been done following this mod: Hood Struts 2021 Sorento
  2. Roof rails (X-line in this case). I just received Turtle roof rails after reading this thread: Roof Rails - Sorento 2021 X Line
  3. 2" Receiver Hitch and Wiring Harness. AFAICT there are no aftermarket hitches yet but I had the dealer install the Kia hitch. It took them 2.5 hours as they were surprised to find that Kia had not brought any electricity to the rear of the vehicle (like they do for the Palisade) so they had to run wiring all the way to the engine compartment.
  4. Foot-well lighting. I added lighting front and back, using this product when it was $35: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU5LOT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was easy to install and hide all wiring. The lights turn on with the car. I have them set to match the purple color of the Kia screen but they can be white or any other color. They can also dance to the beat of music which is too much fun for me to handle.
  5. Fumoto / Quick and Clean Oil Changes: I always do my own maintenance and have used this on several cars. Every car should come with one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP5V092/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  6. NEW: (3/12/21) Radar Detector - Hard Wired with Mirror Tap!: 2021 Sorento Mods - Share and discuss
  7. NEW: Post #141: Conical Air Filter:
  8. NEW: Post #142: Grill Screen: 2021 Sorento Mods - Share and discuss (this shows the how to do the lower section. the upper section is also complete).
  9. NEW: Post #236: Rain Visors: 2021 Sorento Mods - Share and discuss
Reactions: 5
421 - 440 of 440 Posts
Has anyone installed the skid plate? I have a 2023 HEV model; assuming it will fit although the part listing doesn't say so explicitly for the 2023 model. Also, does anyone know whether the skid plate will interfere with access for oil drainage and filter removal/change (ie. would i need to remove it each time it comes to change oil)?
Proud owner of a 2021 kia Sorento SX prestige X-Line. I dabbled with a few mods here and there even though my original plan for this car was to never mind it lol. I lifted the Sorento with the truxxx lift kit , also put falken wildpeaks size 255/55R20 and I experience very very minimal rubbing when I lock the wheel to either side when turning. Been through hell with this car and also just received the car back from a long vacation about the hard shifting issue that led to complete transmission failure and needed to be replaced. Was repaired under warranty at no cost to me which I am grateful for. In the end I love this vehicle more than any other vehicle I have had.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 2
Proud owner of a 2021 kia Sorento SX prestige X-Line. I dabbled with a few mods here and there even though my original plan for this car was to never mind it lol. I lifted the Sorento with the truxxx lift kit , also put falken wildpeaks size 255/55R20 and I experience very very minimal rubbing when I lock the wheel to either side when turning. Been through hell with this car and also just received the car back from a long vacation about the hard shifting issue that led to complete transmission failure and needed to be replaced. Was repaired under warranty at no cost to me which I am grateful for. In the end I love this vehicle more than any other vehicle I have had.
How's the mpg and change in speedometer reading with the tires? I have the same car and lift kit, ready to install soon - when tires are needed. I'm surprised about rubbing at all, but at least it's minor. Maybe 265/50R20 would not rub at about 1/2" taller and narrower.
How's the mpg and change in speedometer reading with the tires? I have the same car and lift kit, ready to install soon - when tires are needed. I'm surprised about rubbing at all, but at least it's minor. Maybe 265/50R20 would not rub at about 1/2" taller and narrower.
Haven't noticed any change in the mpg yet since I just installed the tires yesterday but once I confirm the change I'll let you know. Before the tires I was averaging around 30 to 28mpg depending on how I drive. And yes I do agree with the 265/50R20 aspect. But any higher of a lift I believe would put way to much strain on the axels.
Reactions: 1
Haven't noticed any change in the mpg yet since I just installed the tires yesterday but once I confirm the change I'll let you know. Before the tires I was averaging around 30 to 28mpg depending on how I drive. And yes I do agree with the 265/50R20 aspect. But any higher of a lift I believe would put way to much strain on the axels.
Did you get the regular Truxxx lift kit or the one with the rear shock shaft extension? I'm curious what that exta rod does but haven't opened the kit and checked out the installation instructions
Did you get the regular Truxxx lift kit or the one with the rear shock shaft extension? I'm curious what that exta rod does but haven't opened the kit and checked out the installation instructions
I got the regular lift kit. The rear shaft extension is if you have the tow package installed and you plan on towing something, it prevents driveshaft shutter. And since I don't have to tow package I just opted out of it.
I apologize for the innocent information provided about the gas mileage. I looked at my past trip history and noticed that before the tire installation I was averaging around 25 to 26 mpg. Now after the installation I noticed that I average around 23to 24mpg.
Pictures of OPT7 foot-well lighting install. The lights can be adjusted for brightness and change color via an included remote. They turn on with the car at the last setting.
The install is pretty clean. You can't see the light strips without crawling and looking for them and all the the wires are tucked behind panels.
View attachment 117734

View attachment 117736

View attachment 117735

1) This center console panel (near the gas pedal)pops out from the right side and then slides right to fully detach. Once the panel is installed again, all the wires are hidden cleanly.
View attachment 117729

2) There is plenty of room for the control box and excess wiring to be mounted behind the removed panel. I added Velcro tape to the bottom of the control box to hold it steady and be able to remove it if needed.
View attachment 117728

3) I used the provided 3M tape to attach the light strip for the drivers side. It's taped to the rear (non-opening) side of the Airbag device.
View attachment 117730

4) This is the passenger side light strip. The wire passes easily to the control box from the previous photo.
View attachment 117731

5) This is one of the rear foot-well lights. They are attached with zip ties to the carpet material that is underneath the rear of the front seats.
View attachment 117732
I just completed the same exact mod with the OPT7 Pro Double Row Kit. Does anybody have any recommendations on which fuse I should tap into? I ordered a fuse tap kit along with the OPT Hardwire-DC Plug kit.
I just completed the same exact mod with the OPT7 Pro Double Row Kit. Does anybody have any recommendations on which fuse I should tap into? I ordered a fuse tap kit along with the OPT Hardwire-DC Plug kit.
positive wire as shown and ground wire to a bolt under the drivers side dash
Product Gas Plastic Engineering Machine
See less See more
Finally installed the ISG and auto-hold module from Shark Racing. It was a Surprisingly simple install. I've had the module for a few months, but was too scared to take the center console apart and tap into wires, until this last week. Totally worth it in my opinion.

I used this diagram posted on the thread, and it was all I needed. Don't forget to remove the gear selector handle first if you have an xline .

Organism Font Line Parallel Slope
Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Font Material property Parallel Pattern Schematic
Font Schematic Parallel Engineering Plan
See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: 5
Finally installed the ISG and auto-hold module from Shark Racing. It was a Surprisingly simple install. I've had the module for a few months, but was too scared to take the center console apart and tap into wires, until this last week. Totally worth it in my opinion.

I used this diagram posted on the thread, and it was all I needed. Don't forget to remove the gear selector handle first if you have an xline .

View attachment 127784 View attachment 127785 View attachment 127786 View attachment 127787 View attachment 127789 View attachment 127788
Beautiful. My zip tie is doing alright for now with the ISG, but man do I wish I had the Auto-hold memory. Great job, you're the first I've heard to actually do it.
One this the gets me upset about the Canadian version of the Sorento that I have seen in pictures is their Sorento has ambient in the dashboard where we do not get that. So I went ahead and added something that kia should have done from the beginning. Will also be adding to the dashboard soon.

Car Vehicle Window Automotive lighting Hood
Blue Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Purple Automotive design Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive side-view mirror
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Steering part
See less See more
Reactions: 4
One this the gets me upset about the Canadian version of the Sorento that I have seen in pictures is their Sorento has ambient in the dashboard where we do not get that. So I went ahead and added something that kia should have done from the beginning. Will also be adding to the dashboard soon.

View attachment 128027 View attachment 128028 View attachment 128029 View attachment 128030 View attachment 128031 View attachment 128032 View attachment 128033
Looks great. Hard for me to imagine how those door panel lights installed

View attachment 128027 View attachment 128028 View attachment 128029 View attachment 128030 View attachment 128031 View attachment 128032 View attachment 128033
Any links to the products you used?
Any links to the products you used?
That's the link of the product

Has anyone added anything to make their Sorento sound louder? Nothing crazy, but maybe changing the exhaust tip? The XLine has a downward exhaust tip so I feel changing it to a longer or wider one might not be the best, but also I don't take it off road so I guess it might not matter. Also if anyone has changed the emblems? I've heard that the front is just clipped on but the rear is stuck on with adhesive.
My 2021 sx has a flow master 40 series muffler and ended it with a black 12" L/2.5" inlet/4" outlet tip.:cool:
My 2021 sx has a flow master 40 series muffler and ended it with a black 12" L/2.5" inlet/4" outlet tip.:cool:
Pics and sound?
Pics and sound?
That I can do, just need a little time and I'll get it posted up for you....😎🤙
  • Love
Applying the SlickMod window trim overlay kit today. I'll post pics!
Applying the SlickMod window trim overlay kit today. I'll post pics!
PREFACE, I HAVE BEEN WRAPPING CAR PARTS FOR MANY YEARS

Back to black around my windows 👍
I wrapped them myself on my Sapphire Blue ’21 and can say this kit (follow the link in my signature to find it) made it much easier. There is still trimming and stretching with this kit. The rear trims with the “shark fin” are the hardest. For the upper trims align the wrap to the bottom (closest to the glass) and tuck under the upper gasket. For the bottoms, do the opposite. Align the overlays to the top (closest to the glass and tuck under the trim at the bottom.

I also always suggest starting on your passenger side since it’s not going to be as good as you redo it on your drivers side (since you’re gaining experience) and since you’ll more than likely always be looking at that side I find it better since I am on that side the most.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

Attachments

See less See more
421 - 440 of 440 Posts