Kia Forum banner
281 - 299 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
566 Posts
Yeah, I've seen it. I'm toying with the idea of rolling my own controller the way I wish it were designed, based on an Arduino or similar, and thus avoiding the relay hack. Not for any other reason than it's fun.
Ahh. I didn’t even think of that. I’ve used arduinos on a couple projects and never thought to use them in a car… Now we’re (you’re) thinkin’!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
566 Posts
Yeah, I've seen it. I'm toying with the idea of rolling my own controller the way I wish it were designed, based on an Arduino or similar, and thus avoiding the relay hack. Not for any other reason than it's fun.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX-P PHEV
107 Posts
NeoPixel (WS2812B) is definitely the easiest way to do it, but I'd rather not use addressable LED strips. There's an unavoidable constant power drain from every single LED, even when they're not lit. In my mind, that doesn't mix well with the need to tap an "always on" power source (though I'm sure the 12V battery could probably handle it for a decent period). Old school "dumb" LED strips w/ MOSFET drivers is my preference - again, because it's fun.

FWIW I'm looking at the Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 in the 5v flavor - it's an Arduino Nano clone, but with an on-board power supply that can accept vehicle power directly without a separate power module or buck converter. Couple that w/ their surprisingly-expensive ($17) Bluefruit UART friend (which can also accept 12V) powered off an ignition-switched tap. Now we have a Bluetooth LE capability for color picking or mode setting which only draws power when the ignition is on. The microcontroller can go into a deep sleep state (wake when interrupt triggered on either ignition power or room lamp) and the constant current draw should be down somewhere in the tens of microamps range.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX-P PHEV
107 Posts
Spec sheet claims a microamp per LED current draw for NeoPixels. Estimate maybe 2 meters of 60 LED/m strip....my way saves 120 microamps!!! That's...about 1.5 milliwatts. Which would drain the battery in...nearly 60 years.

Definitely worth the extra effort 🤣

(Yes - the battery would certainly self-discharge faster)

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
566 Posts
Spec sheet claims a microamp per LED current draw for NeoPixels. Estimate maybe 2 meters of 60 LED/m strip....my way saves 120 microamps!!! That's...about 1.5 milliwatts. Which would drain the battery in...nearly 60 years.

Definitely worth the extra effort 🤣

(Yes - the battery would certainly self-discharge faster)
Well, if you could, please take notes/pics and write this up. I'm not good with the creation of these types of things, but understand some of it. However, I can replicate practically anything if there are instructions/materials and would like to try to get my OPT7 lighting to be white on entry. Good work @vehpotneros.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento GT-Line
5 Posts
Hey Everyone!
New here and have a 2022 Sorento GT-Line (top of the line down under) in steel grey (color names also different to USA) on order for my wife and can’t wait to take delivery. I’m a car guy who loves to modify my cars to stand out from the rest, but also classy and sleek. Loved that I found this forum/thread and have enjoyed reading what everyone has done so far to their Sorento.
Might not be everyone’s taste but below I have shared a list of mods and a photoshop of what I expect it to look like once completed.

• Blacked out trim
  • Top half blacked out
  • Tint all round
  • Black wheels
  • Sidesteps (ordered with car)
  • Removed Kia badge from grill (or blacked out)
  • Lip kit front and back (from Adro USA)
  • Lip on rear hatch (from Adro USA)
  • Slightly lowered (pending wife’s approval)
  • Yellow tinted lower lights
  • Lower mounted front license plate

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

I have also been eying off a sequential indicator mod, has anyone done this mod yet? I have a video on my phone but unable to post videos directly to the forum

looking forward to seeing all the future mods you guys end up doing!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
566 Posts
Hey Everyone!
New here and have a 2022 Sorento GT-Line (top of the line down under) in steel grey (color names also different to USA) on order for my wife and can’t wait to take delivery. I’m a car guy who loves to modify my cars to stand out from the rest, but also classy and sleek. Loved that I found this forum/thread and have enjoyed reading what everyone has done so far to their Sorento.
Might not be everyone’s taste but below I have shared a list of mods and a photoshop of what I expect it to look like once completed.

• Blacked out trim
  • Top half blacked out
  • Tint all round
  • Black wheels
  • Sidesteps (ordered with car)
  • Removed Kia badge from grill (or blacked out)
  • Lip kit front and back (from Adro USA)
  • Lip on rear hatch (from Adro USA)
  • Slightly lowered (pending wife’s approval)
  • Yellow tinted lower lights
  • Lower mounted front license plate

View attachment 122558
View attachment 122555
View attachment 122556

I have also been eying off a sequential indicator mod, has anyone done this mod yet? I have a video on my phone but unable to post videos directly to the forum

looking forward to seeing all the future mods you guys end up doing!
Looks like your donor car for the photoshop also has a big brake kit 😅. I miss photochopping cars, it’s how I got into graphic design. You and I have the same exterior planning except for the black umbrella top wrap. Good vision. Check the link in my sig for links to all of those.

The two challenges you’ll have are deleting the badge and the sequential indicators. The badge because you’ll need to cut it out and mould in new material. There’s actually a company that sells the part! I posted it somewhere on here or in this thread.
could you send me the video by email and I can get it posted if you’d like. Shoot me a DM

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento ex
17 Posts
May be off topic but wander I'd this is normal on a brand new vehicle, all 4 discs showing rust after a rainy day, never noticed that on my previous Sorento.

Btw any idea on how can i get this set of grill accs in all red?

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX-P PHEV
107 Posts
May be off topic but wander I'd this is normal on a brand new vehicle, all 4 discs showing rust after a rainy day, never noticed that on my previous Sorento.
All iron brake rotors will show rust if they sit for a while after a rain. Absolutely normal. Maybe the rotors are a bit bigger or the wheels provide more of a reveal than on your previous vehicle, and that's why you're noticing it?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento ex
17 Posts
It may be the case, i think the car being black on black makes it easier to notice. Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento GT-Line
5 Posts
Looks like your donor car for the photoshop also has a big brake kit 😅. I miss photochopping cars, it’s how I got into graphic design. You and I have the same exterior planning except for the black umbrella top wrap. Good vision. Check the link in my sig for links to all of those.

The two challenges you’ll have are deleting the badge and the sequential indicators. The badge because you’ll need to cut it out and mould in new material. There’s actually a company that sells the part! I posted it somewhere on here or in this thread.
could you send me the video by email and I can get it posted if you’d like. Shoot me a DM
Haha yep the donor car has big brake upgrade, and also the only reason I have considered the slightly lowering of the car, because it looks great at this height. If it was my car I would definitely look into the big brakes, but wife would say I’m throwing away money for no reason 😅😅

I did see you post the company who sells the section for the badge delete.. only reason I’m considering it haha, most likely will just black out the Kia badge though

no worries I’ll DM you the videos :) appreciate the feedback and help

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
566 Posts

Btw any idea on how can i get this set of grill accs in all red?
How long did it sit and did it rain before seeing the rust?

I’d email the seller and ask. Please don’t put the BMW colors on though. 😅

281 - 299 of 299 Posts