Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How about we list and/or illustrate any mods we make in one place.
  1. Hood struts have been done following this mod: Hood Struts 2021 Sorento
  2. Roof rails (X-line in this case). I just received Turtle roof rails after reading this thread: Roof Rails - Sorento 2021 X Line
  3. 2" Receiver Hitch and Wiring Harness. AFAICT there are no aftermarket hitches yet but I had the dealer install the Kia hitch. It took them 2.5 hours as they were surprised to find that Kia had not brought any electricity to the rear of the vehicle (like they do for the Palisade) so they had to run wiring all the way to the engine compartment.
  4. Foot-well lighting. I added lighting front and back, using this product when it was $35: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU5LOT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was easy to install and hide all wiring. The lights turn on with the car. I have them set to match the purple color of the Kia screen but they can be white or any other color. They can also dance to the beat of music which is too much fun for me to handle.
  5. Fumoto / Quick and Clean Oil Changes: I always do my own maintenance and have used this on several cars. Every car should come with one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP5V092/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's if for me - so far ...

6. NEW: (3/12/21) Radar Detector - Hard Wired with Mirror Tap!

If you want pictures or have questions, let me know.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX, 281hp, Pacific Blue
1 Posts
Interested to see item #4. I am writing from Canada and received my 2021 Sorento in January. I have the SX which is the highest model here in Canada and retails at $49,995. Top of the line for options. One of my disappointments with the vehicle was the exclusion of ambient lighting........which seems to be on every car built including Kia models 20gs less than this Sorento.
Kia Canada advised that the ambient lighting will be on the Hybrid model whenever it shows up, and is on the top trims of the USA models. To which, I did not respond favourably as eliminating such a basic option / feature between Canada and USA models is absolutely ridiculous. Since joining the forum, I've also read that the USA model does not have memory seat options. How can Kia possibly be so stupid as to eliminate such basic items that have become the norm on top vehicle trims. I am definitely impressed with the vehicle overall, but a minor issue like this is frustrating and disappointing. One step forward, one step backward.
Thank you Noshortcuts for the link to the foot well lighting. It is definitely appreciated as Kia Canada simply ignores me, this at least gives me an option.
Cheers from "We The North"

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interested to see item #4. ...
Thank you Noshortcuts for the link to the foot well lighting. It is definitely appreciated as Kia Canada simply ignores me, this at least gives me an option.
Cheers from "We The North"
No problem. I will post video or pics later. It really is easy if you go with basic functions, which is what I've done (so far). If you want to customize so that the lights integrate to include a door assist feature that has the LEDs turn white when a door opens and then the light strips turn to your set color when the car starts and then they stay on until you lock the car (all without needing the remote and with no risk of running down the battery, see this! This guy happens to be demostrating on his own Kia:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My hybrid EX came with hood struts. Did they put hood rods on the gas models?
If you follow the hood strut mod link above there is discussion. There may be some countries that have them but generally no.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Pictures of OPT7 foot-well lighting install. The lights can be adjusted for brightness and change color via an included remote. They turn on with the car at the last setting.
The install is pretty clean. You can't see the light strips without crawling and looking for them and all the the wires are tucked behind panels.
Purple Flash photography Violet Entertainment Visual effect lighting

Automotive lighting Purple Entertainment Visual effect lighting Gas

Hood Purple Automotive tire Lighting Automotive lighting

1) This center console panel (near the gas pedal)pops out from the right side and then slides right to fully detach. Once the panel is installed again, all the wires are hidden cleanly.
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

2) There is plenty of room for the control box and excess wiring to be mounted behind the removed panel. I added Velcro tape to the bottom of the control box to hold it steady and be able to remove it if needed.
Cable Electrical wiring Wire Electric blue Metal

3) I used the provided 3M tape to attach the light strip for the drivers side. It's taped to the rear (non-opening) side of the Airbag device.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

4) This is the passenger side light strip. The wire passes easily to the control box from the previous photo.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey Road surface

5) This is one of the rear foot-well lights. They are attached with zip ties to the carpet material that is underneath the rear of the front seats.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

·
Registered
2021 Kia sorento EX, 08 Kawasaki nomad,
107 Posts
I would like to have more lighting on the back of my EX as in parking lights, LED

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento S AWD
25 Posts
did a few minor mods myself with my 2021 Sorento S trim.

the exterior lighting in the S trim unfortunately comes mostly equipped with standard halogen bulbs except for the low beam and high beam which is LED. I was able to change the rear turn signals and license plate light to LASFIT LED bulbs with canbus. The rear turn signals are size 1156 and the license plate lights are 194/168. No problems at all. The signals blink perfect and no hyperflash. The license plate bulbs are whiter and so much brighter and just gives it an overall cleaner look. I want to change the brake light bulb as well. However i'm not sure if the LED will work without throwing an error code since the brake light is a 2 in 1 bulb (both running and brake). I want to switch out the front turn signals but its so damn hard to remove the bulb from the socket. Tried changing the reverse bulbs as well but it's impossible for me to reach from under the rear bumper.

For this spring/summer i'm thinking about buying the 20" telluride S trim wheels on ebay or something. My S trim came equipped with 18" black polished wheels. I'll keep this thread posted if i make it happen.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
78 Posts
Has anyone performed their own oil change yet? My '17 Sorento had a drop in oil filter in the top of the engine, but looking at the new TGDI 2.5 I don't see one up there, so I am guessing they went with a traditional spin on filter accessed underneath the engine. Car is new enough I can't find a part number for the oil filter anywhere.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone performed their own oil change yet? My '17 Sorento had a drop in oil filter in the top of the engine, but looking at the new TGDI 2.5 I don't see one up there, so I am guessing they went with a traditional spin on filter accessed underneath the engine. Car is new enough I can't find a part number for the oil filter anywhere.
Not yet, but am curious also. Don't miss my tip on the first post to install a Fumoto for clean and quick oil drains.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
did a few minor mods myself with my 2021 Sorento S trim.

the exterior lighting in the S trim unfortunately comes mostly equipped with standard halogen bulbs except for the low beam and high beam which is LED. I was able to change the rear turn signals and license plate light to LASFIT LED bulbs with canbus. The rear turn signals are size 1156 and the license plate lights are 194/168. No problems at all. The signals blink perfect and no hyperflash. The license plate bulbs are whiter and so much brighter and just gives it an overall cleaner look. I want to change the brake light bulb as well. However i'm not sure if the LED will work without throwing an error code since the brake light is a 2 in 1 bulb (both running and brake). I want to switch out the front turn signals but its so damn hard to remove the bulb from the socket. Tried changing the reverse bulbs as well but it's impossible for me to reach from under the rear bumper.

For this spring/summer i'm thinking about buying the 20" telluride S trim wheels on ebay or something. My S trim came equipped with 18" black polished wheels. I'll keep this thread posted if i make it happen.
About the reverse lights, its impossible to reach them without removing more than just the cover underneath? Or it has to be lifted a bit for someone to comfortably lay underneath and replace the bulbs? I'm about to change the plate lights but I'm hesitant to do the reverse lights as I've never had to change them on a car that had it on the lower part of the bumper. LED reverse and plate lights seem like a very simple swap that should have been done to the top trim models, or at least for the S trim and up. I have an XLine and I was surprised when I saw that both those lights were basic halogen lights.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Accessories (minor "mods"). I like making a new vehicle feel like it's "Mine" by adding mods and accessories...
  1. Rear Cargo Liner (for dirty dogs). Very good fit. Also cargo storage with bunjee to hold it in place: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSNW91J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design
  2. Front seat liner (for dirty sweaty driver). Fits better than the online product photos would indicate due to having more material a the top: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTT2FH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

3. Valve Caps (nearly a color match but a poor focus on the intricate cap. In daily life, no one will likely ever notice the caps besides me, LOL): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816CQMX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

4. Black plate holder (with clear cover): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083VXWRZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille
  5. Rear Storage Accessories (car jack, socket set +, tire repair kit, first aid kit, snow "sock", emergency reflector triangle, jumper cables, tire inflation pump, car vacume.
    Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior
    Motor vehicle Bag Gas Automotive tire Luggage and bags

Attachments

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
140 Posts
Accessories (minor "mods"). I like making a new vehicle feel like it's "Mine" by adding mods and accessories...
  1. Rear Cargo Liner (for dirty dogs). Very good fit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSNW91J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 117788
  2. Front seat liner (for dirty sweaty driver). Fits better than the online product photos would indicate due to having more material a the top: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTT2FH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 117784
  3. Valve Caps (nearly a color match but a poor focus on the intricate cap. In daily life, no one will likely ever notice the caps besides me, LOL): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816CQMX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 117787
  4. Black plate holder (with clear cover): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083VXWRZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 117785
  5. Rear Storage Accessories (car jack, socket set +, tire repair kit, first aid kit, snow "sock", emergency reflector triangle, jumper cables, tire inflation pump, car vacume. View attachment 117790 View attachment 117791
Nice I got these for my captains chairs so when seats are flat it’s protected since cargo tray is only for third row coverage , I liked the fit and finish that I also got them for front seat so kids feet aren’t marking up all over the black one are great 😊

ZZ Lighting Car Kick Mats Seat Back Protectors Kick and Stain Protection for Children Or Adult with Pocket Universal Size(2 Pack,Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747LLJK...abc_X8A7CQZSKR6RXF5QGF9Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento S AWD
25 Posts
About the reverse lights, its impossible to reach them without removing more than just the cover underneath? Or it has to be lifted a bit for someone to comfortably lay underneath and replace the bulbs? I'm about to change the plate lights but I'm hesitant to do the reverse lights as I've never had to change them on a car that had it on the lower part of the bumper. LED reverse and plate lights seem like a very simple swap that should have been done to the top trim models, or at least for the S trim and up. I have an XLine and I was surprised when I saw that both those lights were basic halogen lights.
in my opinion its near impossible to remove them from underneath. Lifting it may help but i still think it's a lot of work just to change a pair of bulbs. The manual only shows how to remove one side of the reverse light (driver side). The passenger side has an extra obstacle to work around with the muffler blocking that area and the manual shows no direction on this side. I think i'm gonna leave the reverse lights alone for now until someone can show an easy hack on how to change them.

As for the plate lights they were a pretty easy swap. Only pain was prying the light assembly out. I used a plastic pry and wrapped a flathead with a bandana so that i don't scratch the paint. Had to do a lot of prying back and forth till it finally came loose. You'll see that you have to press hard (but gentle) to press on a tab that's holding the light assembly in place. Once you pop it out you can easily swap the bulbs.

Also as a FYI, the manual says that the license plate lights are a LED assembly and should be replaced by the dealership if it is out. I can confirm that this is BS and just uses standard halogen bulbs 194/168.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
in my opinion its near impossible to remove them from underneath. Lifting it may help but i still think it's a lot of work just to change a pair of bulbs. The manual only shows how to remove one side of the reverse light (driver side). The passenger side has an extra obstacle to work around with the muffler blocking that area and the manual shows no direction on this side. I think i'm gonna leave the reverse lights alone for now until someone can show an easy hack on how to change them.

As for the plate lights they were a pretty easy swap. Only pain was prying the light assembly out. I used a plastic pry and wrapped a flathead with a bandana so that i don't scratch the paint. Had to do a lot of prying back and forth till it finally came loose. You'll see that you have to press hard (but gentle) to press on a tab that's holding the light assembly in place. Once you pop it out you can easily swap the bulbs.

Also as a FYI, the manual says that the license plate lights are a LED assembly and should be replaced by the dealership if it is out. I can confirm that this is BS and just uses standard halogen bulbs 194/168.
I can also confirm that is BS lol. The assembly was a pain in the butt to get out but it's definitely worth it once you see it light up at night. I have a 2019 Tucson and I wanted to change the fog lights to LED fog lights. The driver side was easy but the passenger side had so many obstacles including a reservoir for some kind of liquid. Now it has just one LED fog light. Dealerships won't install any kind of light replacement unless it's the original bulb and I'm not going to pay a body shop to swap out a light bulb. I would need to remove the whole bumper to get access to the passenger side fog light. Hopefully someone finds a hack and let's us know, I'd really like brighter reverse lights. I've changed them on all my car and it really makes a difference.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
78 Posts
Anyone figured out how to permanently disable the Auto Start/Stop yet? On another vehicle I have I just ran a jumper wire on the back of the switch so the switch thinks it is pushed whenever you start the vehicle. I don't have a wiring diagram for the Sorento and I haven't taken the time to look at the back of the switch to see if its just 2 wires that could be connected (there are probably at least three since it is a lighted switch). There is this: ISG and Auto-Hold Memory Module - Various Applications, but without a wiring diagram of the Sorento I am not sure what wires I will need to tap into.

·
Registered
2021 Kia sorento EX, 08 Kawasaki nomad,
107 Posts
Anyone figured out how to permanently disable the Auto Start/Stop yet? On another vehicle I have I just ran a jumper wire on the back of the switch so the switch thinks it is pushed whenever you start the vehicle. I don't have a wiring diagram for the Sorento and I haven't taken the time to look at the back of the switch to see if its just 2 wires that could be connected (there are probably at least three since it is a lighted switch). There is this: ISG and Auto-Hold Memory Module - Various Applications, but without a wiring diagram of the Sorento I am not sure what wires I will need to tap into.
my start / stop worked in the begining but now I can't get it to work. although I don't really care. but its suppose to work.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige
8 Posts
  1. Rear Cargo Liner (for dirty dogs). Very good fit. Also cargo storage with bunjee to hold it in place: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSNW91J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 117788
  2. Front seat liner (for dirty sweaty driver). Fits better than the online product photos would indicate due to having more material a the top: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTT2FH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 117784
  3. Valve Caps (nearly a color match but a poor focus on the intricate cap. In daily life, no one will likely ever notice the caps besides me, LOL): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816CQMX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 117787
  4. Black plate holder (with clear cover): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083VXWRZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 117785
  5. Rear Storage Accessories (car jack, socket set +, tire repair kit, first aid kit, snow "sock", emergency reflector triangle, jumper cables, tire inflation pump, car vacume. View attachment 117790 View attachment 117791
Has anyone installed a hood deflector? I saw one on Kias website but I’m pretty sure they raise prices. $200 seems a bit steep but not sure if there is other options that fit. Same with a sun shade for the windshield. Being in California with no covered parking at work, I’d like to try and protect my interior as much as possible. Again, Kia has one but it’s $97 and has the big KIA wording on it!

1 - 20 of 164 Posts