Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento Hybrid S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal for 2021 Sorento Hybrid S (US)?
There is a loud engine sound after startup in early morning.

Thanks

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
209 Posts
hard to tell but it just sounds like the gas engine roaring itself out of it's slumber. See how your EV light isn't illuminated?

It's a LOUD motor especially for it's size. You've got nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
94 Posts
Is this normal for 2021 Sorento Hybrid S (US)?
There is a loud engine sound after startup in early morning.

Thanks
Well being iside a garage with the door open you will hear every sound no matter how quiet.
I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Reactions: TD Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well being iside a garage with the door open you will hear every sound no matter how quiet.
I'm pretty sure that's normal.
The engine sound is pretty loud even outside. I sometimes got frighten when I drove on the road and engine suddenly kicks in the first time in the morning. I can feel the enigne spins in a very high speed and I feel some resistence when I push the pedal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The engine sound is pretty loud even outside. I sometimes got frighten when I drove on the road and engine suddenly kicks in the first time in the morning. I can feel the enigne spins in a very high speed and I feel some resistence when I push the pedal.
I had 2016 Sorento and traded in for this hybrid. I didn't have this engine noise for 2016 version. Of couse, 2016 is not hybrid but should be similar gas engine? I am wondering if this happens only in hybrid?

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
209 Posts
It’s not the same engine from 2016…

As mentioned, it’s a loud little motor. In the morning the gas engine will engage at startup, i assume to throw a charge into the battery pack. It shouldn’t do it every start up though. When driving, if you take it easy and you’re not going uphill you should be able to hit 20mph easily without the gas engine ever firing. I can get over 30mph from a dead stop without gas usually.
As for resistance in the pedal, it’s a firm one. My ankle is sore on long drives if i don’t use the cruise control. The switch from battery to gas isn’t always silky smooth either. Sometimes i find it’s a smoother transition if i give it a little more throttle before i feel it’s about to switch over.

you have nothing to worry about

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
120 Posts
As for resistance in the pedal, it’s a firm one. My ankle is sore on long drives if i don’t use the cruise control.
Reconsider that, especially with adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
209 Posts
Reconsider that, especially with adaptive cruise control.
Pros and cons of the cruise

+ I don't have to push pedals

• MPG suffers
  • If I'm getting sleepy on LONG drives it will become more obvious once I realize I'm doing 45 on an empty interstate at 3am. The cruise removes my internal safety feature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts