Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've looked online and in the forum, but found nothing on the matter so I'm posting now.

We just got a 2021 Sedona SX and had no choice but to get the dual screen entertainment system. I'd like to see if anyone has ever tried to or have any suggestions on removing the screens. I'd like to be able to re-attach them at a later time, just not now.

Any thoughts, leads, ideas?

Thanks.

Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
Sorry bro, dunno much about that system. I did a quick search online and didn't find any installation manual. This is likely not a dealer-installable system.

We've had factory rear entertainment system in other cars before and I've never liked any of them. So when we got our '16 SX, I was glad it didn't have one. At that time, the Sedona only offered a single screen RES that was mounted behind the front row center console. Really cheesy system. Very few of the Sedonas we looked at had it.

I ended up buying separate headrest-mounted car video players for my 3 kids, which cost me far less than any factory RES. Kids can load whatever movies they want onto their own SD cards, and 64GB holds enough movies to last a 10-day road trip easily. Best of all, they are easily installed and removed and can be moved to the next vehicle.

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry bro, dunno much about that system. I did a quick search online and didn't find any installation manual. This is likely not a dealer-installable system.

We've had factory rear entertainment system in other cars before and I've never liked any of them. So when we got our '16 SX, I was glad it didn't have one. At that time, the Sedona only offered a single screen RES that was mounted behind the front row center console. Really cheesy system. Very few of the Sedonas we looked at had it.

I ended up buying separate headrest-mounted car video players for my 3 kids, which cost me far less than any factory RES. Kids can load whatever movies they want onto their own SD cards, and 64GB holds enough movies to last a 10-day road trip easily. Best of all, they are easily installed and removed and can be moved to the next vehicle.
See, and this is exactly what I wish we'd been able to do - get the Sedona without the RES. There's a long story as to why we got it anyway and it starts with a pricing error on the dealer's end which listed the sale price 7k lower than it should've been. But they are quite obtrusive. We definitely could've done without them.

Curses!!

Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
Just curious... where exactly does the wiring from the screen go into the seat? I looked at some of the online pics of the system, but there wasn't one that showed the wiring coming out of the screens.

I am assuming there is no easy way to "unplug" the wiring from the screen, correct? So you'll have to find out if there is a way to disconnect the wiring from the seat. You might try following these instructions on how to remove the rear seat back cover:

I bet you dollars to donuts there is a connector inside the seat that might allow you to disconnect the RES screen. I did not see any specific mention of RES in those instructions, probably because these instructions were written before Kia added the dual screen RES system.

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the late response.

The wiring should be easy - it's a plug that is visible from the bottom. I don't mind even leaving the wire somewhat exposed when everything is said and done. I am more concerned over the screens themselves.

I need to spend some time examining it carefully and see what I can do. I'll document what I do and post here if I end up attempting it.

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm following this because the screens are encroaching on the space I need for a rear facing car seat 馃槥. Wish we had tried that before buying the van with the system. Car seat base is too wide sit in the center and still be able to access the third row with the seats popping up. Both me and my wife are six feet tall and can't comfortably drive or sit in the front seat with the front seat moved up far enough for the rear facing seat because of those screens! Ugh!
Hey. I haven't tried to pull them yet, but I will. Time's getting short around here with life.

I feel your pain though. Having them fold down from the top of the car, or fitted inside the seats would've been a much-preffered option.

When will you be able to flip that kiddo forward?

Registered
2020 Kia Sedona SX | 2017 Kia Soul+
Hi, I am watching this thread as well. The RES in the 2020 Sedona feels like an afterthought, and I would really like to be able to either control it from the front seat or remove it for the time being. I would also like for the screen mirroring to be available from IOS devices.

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
If you are still in need of this solution, it鈥檚 pretty straightforward.
  1. Looking down from the top, there are two small Philips screws. Remove these
  2. Remove the plastic bracket these were holding in place by sliding it up from the bottom
  3. There are now four larger Philips head screws holding the RES unit to the bracket in the seat. Remove these and the RES slides off the bracket
  4. Unplug the electrical connector from the RES unit
  5. Profit!

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Life happened and I never got around to this...

YOU, sir, ARE THE MAN!!!

Thank you Goatama!!! I pulled the screens off in a jiffy.

Thanks again!

Registered
2021 Sedona EX and 2014 Sorento LX
Hi,

Can you please post a picture of what the back of the seat looks like after you removed these screens? Due to low inventory of the Sedona we want, we may have to buy one that has these and I really don't care for them, especially since the kids have iPads and I am worried about the screens being in the way when someone larger gets in the back seat. We haven't purchased the car yet.

Registered
2022 Kia Carnival
Life happened and I never got around to this...

YOU, sir, ARE THE MAN!!!

Thank you Goatama!!! I pulled the screens off in a jiffy.

Thanks again!
I would love to see photos as well. I'm considering buying the new Carnival but I'm not fond of the screens either. But we would like to have the SX model because of the other features. I'm curious what's behind the screens after they are removed.

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The white stuff was dust. It only sticks out a bit but it's so much better. I thought about covering it up with a cinched up piece of cloth, but it's fine as is.

Hope this helps.

Registered
2022 Kia Carnival
I heard you can unsnap the plastic covering on the back of the seat to reveal the area where you can remove the bracket. Not sure if that is true and I am nervous to try it myself.

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You probably can, but since it doesn't bother me much at all... I'm ok with it the way it is. I'm able to now have some legroom and not worry about the screen getting scratched.

Registered
2021 Sedona SX
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, sure thing. I'm just sorry it took me so long. It's been a tough year.

Cheers!

Registered
2022 Carnival SX Prestige
So I just removed mine today on a 2022 Carnival which I think is similar. I should have taken pics but it was spur of the moment motivation to get it done. Up near the monitor bracket about two inches to either side is a metal spring clip. I tried to use a screw driver on the first one but it wasn't necessary. Good solid pressure and they pop out. There is a second set of plastic rounded retaining clips, just pull straight out with those too and you have easy access to the bracket. It's two pieces so when you remove the main part don't forget the dangling one behind it or it will rattle. Then just line the back up and pound it in. Edit: Went out and popped it off for pics.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts