Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Forte GT where the windshield continuously builds up condensation on the outside while the A/C is on. The problem is most noticeable at night or early mornings and I cant drive w/o having the wipers on all night long. The problem appears related to air coming out of the center dash near the vents where the windshield meets the dashboard. It looks like air is only supposed to come out when defrost is on. The dealership was puzzled if this normal or something that needs to be serviced under warranty. The service dept. is not open at night when I can demonstrate the problem. They said they cant help since they cant verify the fogging up issue. Covering the vent with a piece of paper temporarily resolve the problem. Is this normal? What should I do about this?

Hood Wood Sky Grey Floor
Car Window Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
46 Posts
The A/C is cooling the windshield and causing the outside humidity to condense on the windshield causing the fog. The physics is normal. The dealer needs to compare your vehicle with a known good vehicle to see if A/C air should be coming out of the upper dash vents while the normal A/C is on. The defrost vent actuator may be stuck in the on or open position.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer needs to compare your vehicle with a known good vehicle to see if A/C air should be coming out of the upper dash vents while the normal A/C is on. The defrost vent actuator may be stuck in the on or open position.
Sounds logical but the dealer doesnt have or claims not to have 2021 Fortes laying around to compare. I was expecting the dealer know w/o having to compare how their Kia's operate. Or at least have a way to verify from the Kia its not operating to specs.

Having a defrost vent actuator stuck sounds like the problem. If I understand this correctly, to fix this involves taking the entire dashboard apart correct? Isnt this a huge project I should avoid? The vehicle is still within a return window from where I purchased it. Should I return it and walk away from this?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is the vehicle still under warranty? Throwing an actuator at it is not the proper fix. It could be normal to have a little air bleed into the defrost vents. The dealer should compare to a like vehicle if not a 2021 Forte and if anything contact the KIA technical hotline to see what the engineers think about it. Like I said, it may be normal. It seems crazy to walk away from a nice car just because of a little fog on the windshield. You could try putting rain-x or something on the outside of the windshield to see if it helps. This probably only happens when it is humid outside. Unless you live in a very humid environment, I probably wouldn't worry about it so much.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the vehicle still under warranty? Throwing an actuator at it is not the proper fix. It could be normal to have a little air bleed into the defrost vents. The dealer should compare to a like vehicle if not a 2021 Forte and if anything contact the KIA technical hotline to see what the engineers think about it. Like I said, it may be normal. It seems crazy to walk away from a nice car just because of a little fog on the windshield. You could try putting rain-x or something on the outside of the windshield to see if it helps. This probably only happens when it is humid outside. Unless you live in a very humid environment, I probably wouldn't worry about it so much.

The Kia was purchased used w/ 2k miles on it. Its still under warranty. I love the car but the window fog up is too severe at night. Daytime photos dont do justice. The car is practically brand new and shouldnt have this problem. None of my other vehicles I have or had before do this. I feel like it would be crazy to stick with this issue for a practically new car and be stuck with payments.Other owners I've talked to online dont have this problem.

At the moment, I left the car overnight at the dealer (4th visit) and they wouldnt offer a free rental/loaner. I took an uber home. I tried to call to get an update, nobody will answer and when they do they hang up immediately. None of my Toyota warranty experiences has been this much of a hassle so I am leaning towards walking away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I understand. You have to do what you have to do. It is ridiculous and unacceptable that the dealer would hang up on you like that. For me, I would not need your vehicle at the dealer. The pictures you provided should be enough. I know what that is and what causes it. They should let you drive your car while they do the research into how to fix the issue. As a technician it is impossible to know how every single system works or is programmed to work. These things change from vehicle to vehicle and from year to year. You don't have to tell me but, I would like to know the name of this dealership that hangs up on you.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think its normal. I got the car back from the Dealership, they couldnt demonstrate how to stop it. They think its part of the car automatic ventilation control
found on page 4-121 of the owners manual (2021 Kia Forte owners manual - OwnersMan). However I disagree, air still comes out of the vent w/ this feature on or off. Fog keeps on happening. Any suggestions?

Steps to reproduce

1. In humid weather such as early morning or evenings, turn on the A/C. Set fan facing driver mode, coolest temp, any speed.
2. Drive around for 5 minutes
3. Watch window fog on outside
4. Turn on wipers
5. Repeat step 3

Expected
No fog to appear

Actual:
Fog returns over and over

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Infrastructure Automotive mirror

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2
28 Posts
I have a 2021 Forte GT where the windshield continuously builds up condensation on the outside while the A/C is on. The problem is most noticeable at night or early mornings and I cant drive w/o having the wipers on all night long. The problem appears related to air coming out of the center dash near the vents where the windshield meets the dashboard. It looks like air is only supposed to come out when defrost is on. The dealership was puzzled if this normal or something that needs to be serviced under warranty. The service dept. is not open at night when I can demonstrate the problem. They said they cant help since they cant verify the fogging up issue. Covering the vent with a piece of paper temporarily resolve the problem. Is this normal? What should I do about this?

View attachment 125183 View attachment 125184
View attachment 125182
Have someone drive with you when it's happening to take video of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts