Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2020 Sportage in June 2109. I have 11,000 miles on the car. In checking the washer fluid today I noticed the coolant reservoir was below the minimum line. I live in Houston. So could this be why it is low? Should it be this low? I haven't noticed any leaks in the garage. Can I top it off or do I need to drain it and refill it? What do I refill it with?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
96 Posts
Our 2020 Sportage has about 10,000 miles on it and is about half way between minimum and maximum. Our 2013 Sportage has the same engine and has never been low ? My 2015 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6 engine seems to lose coolant or something. Have to add a little like every 6 months. No visible leaks. Oil looks good ? I have a gallon of genuine KIA antifreeze I keep on hand just in case. Don't let the coolant get below the nipple on the reservoir so it doesn't suck air. The KIA dealer where you bought it should top it off for free. It wouldn't be a bad idea to let them know about it anyway. It's under warranty.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Was this hot or cold? Assuming cold, it should be no lower than the 'Minimum' line. The dealer will adjust it for you - don't you put anything in it, especially not tap water. I have seen a very slow coolant usage on my '17 SX and they adjust it when I go in for service. I also sometimes smell coolant when I get out of the car. I think there is possibly a vapor leak associated with the turbine. Its something I keep my eye on.
The thing you don't know is how long has it been like that? It could've been low from the start, or it could be a more significant leak that just started. Get it adjusted, then watch it for 5,000 miles. You have to check it at the same place and same engine temp condition every time. A good way is to look at it first thing in the morning before driving, and in your usual parking place.
My guess is you will eventually see a very small usage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was this hot or cold? Assuming cold, it should be no lower than the 'Minimum' line. The dealer will adjust it for you - don't you put anything in it, especially not tap water. I have seen a very slow coolant usage on my '17 SX and they adjust it when I go in for service. I also sometimes smell coolant when I get out of the car. I think there is possibly a vapor leak associated with the turbine. Its something I keep my eye on.
The thing you don't know is how long has it been like that? It could've been low from the start, or it could be a more significant leak that just started. Get it adjusted, then watch it for 5,000 miles. You have to check it at the same place and same engine temp condition every time. A good way is to look at it first thing in the morning before driving, and in your usual parking place.
My guess is you will eventually see a very small usage.
Thank you! This is cold (Or as cold as Houston can be in September). I had moved it from the street to the garage. I will check with the dealer and see if they can get this topped off.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,063 Posts
Good for you for inspection of coolant level!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes, 'cold' is of course relative. It really means the engine has cooled to ambient temperature since being last used. This might take six hours at 100F or 15 minutes at the South Pole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it to the dealership and they told me it would be fine at the level pictured but they would add the coolant if I wanted. I had them add coolant as I didn't feel comfortable with a technicians word that my car would be fine below the min level. I have been taking pictures of the coolant levels to keep a record. I appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Just check it every week at the same location and engine temperature. You could also check one more thing just for grins; on a COLD engine, see if the cap on the surge tank is tight. Its plastic, so don't use any tools and don't try to wrench it off by hand - its tight or it turns a little. You just want to make sure there's no leak there.
You can also check the level on a hot engine by parking in your usual spot, leave it running, open the hood and see how high it is. Just keep in mind, you can't compare hot and cold levels because in a tight system, they are quite different. I prefer checking it cold. Over a period of at least 30 days you'll see a drop in the cold level if its leaking enough to matter. OTOH, with temps getting cooler now, it will be a little lower simply because the ambient is going down and the coolant is shrinking more.
Unless its a real leak, you might not be able to tell much. They usually add a few ounces to mine at my 6-month oil change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts