Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m loving my new Kia, but I noticed that the wireless charging isn’t working on my iPhone in the car. It lights up and shows connection, but no increase in battery charge.

For instance, I left the house this morning with 80% charge. It took 55 minutes to get to work. When I parked at work, my battery charge went down to 79%!

To be clear, my phone was never in use.

Anyone have this issue, or maybe aware of an issue?

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
33 Posts
I’m loving my new Kia, but I noticed that the wireless charging isn’t working on my iPhone in the car. It lights up and shows connection, but no increase in battery charge.

For instance, I left the house this morning with 80% charge. It took 55 minutes to get to work. When I parked at work, my battery charge went down to 79%!

Works on our 2020 Sportage ? Maybe try a different cable.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
917 Posts

Wireless charging provides only about 0.5 amps in most cases and about 0.65 amps max depending on your phone and location. Magnetic induction, which is what wireless uses, is just not very efficient. The USB outlet in your car is also limited to about 1 amp, and that is very anemic. Most modern smartphones take about 2 amps to fast charge. If you want fast charging in your car, then use a 12v outlet and a 2 amp usb adapter (wired). Your phone uses power even when you're not talking on it. In fact, bluetooth uses a lot of power. In addition, just holding a 4G signal may require a lot of power when you're not right next to a tower. Your phone will increase the transmission power as needed. Therefore, just keeping your phone charged to about the same level is all your wireless charging can accomplish with your phone. This will not change much in the immediate future because of backwards compatibility needs. That's why I hardwired a 12v outlet and put in a 2.1 amp USB adapter (provides a maximum of 4.2 amps).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wireless charging provides only about 0.5 amps in most cases and about 0.65 amps max depending on your phone and location. Magnetic induction, which is what wireless uses, is just not very efficient. The USB outlet in your car is also limited to about 1 amp, and that is very anemic. Most modern smartphones take about 2 amps to fast charge. If you want fast charging in your car, then use a 12v outlet and a 2 amp usb adapter (wired). Your phone uses power even when you're not talking on it. In fact, bluetooth uses a lot of power. In addition, just holding a 4G signal may require a lot of power when you're not right next to a tower. Your phone will increase the transmission power as needed. Therefore, just keeping your phone charged to about the same level is all your wireless charging can accomplish with your phone. This will not change much in the immediate future because of backwards compatibility needs. That's why I hardwired a 12v outlet and put in a 2.1 amp USB adapter (provides a maximum of 4.2 amps).
Thanks. Yeah, I’ve been wirelessly charging for about a year and a half. For iPhone, it charges at 7.5. Pretty quick. But this is either super-slow, or just not working.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
343 Posts
Do you get an indication that the phone is charging when you place it on the charger? If not, have you gone into you driver info screens to ensure the the wireless charger is turned on?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
917 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I’ve been wirelessly charging for about a year and a half. For iPhone, it charges at 7.5. Pretty quick. But this is either super-slow, or just not working.
The charging amps cannot be 7.5 amps. iPhones generally fast charge at about 2 amps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you get an indication that the phone is charging when you place it on the charger? If not, have you gone into you driver info screens to ensure the the wireless charger is turned on?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yep. Solid amber on the car, charge boot on the phone.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
917 Posts
7.5 watts translates into about 0.63 amps on a 12 volt system. That's only enough to keep an iPhone at its current level in a car where the phone signal is hampered by the structure of your car. I don't know the specs of the wireless charger in the 2020 model, but if it is only 7.5 watts that's not enough to charge it much....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
7.5 watts translates into about 0.63 amps on a 12 volt system. That's only enough to keep an iPhone at its current level in a car where the phone signal is hampered by the structure of your car. I don't know the specs of the wireless charger in the 2020 model, but if it is only 7.5 watts that's not enough to charge it much....
If that’s true, then what would be the purpose of having it? I mean, when I charge wirelessly at work (barely a signal, always fighting for connection), or at home, it charges very fast. But in the car, nada.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
917 Posts
If that’s true, then what would be the purpose of having it? I mean, when I charge wirelessly at work (barely a signal, always fighting for connection), or at home, it charges very fast. But in the car, nada.
It all depends on how much induction is coming through and what programs are running on your phone. The more background programs, the greater the load. Bluetooth takes power and playing music through your phone takes power. Try someone else's phone in your car and see if the same problem exists. Make sure it is connected to your system like your phone. If I had to hazard a guess, it would be that your system just isn't powerful enough, but maintaining a level, as in your case, is really not that bad. When my smartphone is plugged into the car's USB port, it only gets a 0.5 amp charge and I get the same behavior as you, i.e., no gain in charge but it does maintain. Let us know what happens when you use someone else's smartphone....

So, being able to use your phone with no loss in charge is not a bad thing. That would be a decent "purpose"....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That’s why I mentioned it wasn’t being used. I never leave apps open. Idk. Really disappointed with the feature. If it’s only going to work a fraction of what other wireless chargers do, it’s basically useless. Hoping it’s something else.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
176 Posts
How "solid" of a induction connection are you getting? Is the phone sitting flat or is there some angle?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 inside an Otterbox case and I'm not sure my phone would even sit flat in the space available.

The charger has been an available accessory since at least 2018 to fit in the forward console recess. My phone wouldn't fit properly in my 2018 and I highly doubt it would fit my 2020 either.

Wireless charging on a desk is fine because you can properly align the magnetic fields. In a vehicle with the vibrations and movement I don't see it working well. Especially through a case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How "solid" of a induction connection are you getting? Is the phone sitting flat or is there some angle?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 inside an Otterbox case and I'm not sure my phone would even sit flat in the space available.

The charger has been an available accessory since at least 2018 to fit in the forward console recess. My phone wouldn't fit properly in my 2018 and I highly doubt it would fit my 2020 either.

Wireless charging on a desk is fine because you can properly align the magnetic fields. In a vehicle with the vibrations and movement I don't see it working well. Especially through a case.
Solid, flat, full connection. My case is an Apple charging case, so it’s battery is right up against the charger.

·
Registered
Titanium Silver '15 Sorento SXL
56 Posts
I know you have an Apple charging case, but if you haven't already, take it out of the case and try it, and confirm that doesn't solve it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts