Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Soul Xline
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Soul in May of 19 it has about 7k miles on it and they had to replace the Transmission / Transaxle anyone hearing of anything like this with the 2020

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,537 Posts
check out

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2020
1 Posts
Bought my Soul in May of 19 it has about 7k miles on it and they had to replace the Transmission / Transaxle anyone hearing of anything like this with the 2020
I too bought my 2020 Soul last summer (2019) and at 6500 miles in January 2020 the 'engine' was surging, RPMs bobbing, something was very wrong. Then... my beautiful new Soul lost power on the interstate, essentially DIED mid-lane in heavy traffic. I was towed to the Kia dealer in Layton, Utah and told the transmission FAILED. They kept it a week to replace it. VERY DISTURBING. Can I trust it? I had traded in my 2012 Soul for this one. How is yours doing now, Keith? Very concerning that we are now two claiming this problem. Please, others who had this problem add to this conversation!

·
Registered
Kia Soul!, 2011
132 Posts
I won't trade our 2011 for a new one, even if is for free. Every car that has a first year of something (engine, transmission) is a bad year to buy. It's like a beta software if you like.
The CVT transmissions are known to be problematic. Changing the name to IVT to hide the fact that is actually another cheap CVT doesn't help with gaining my trust.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,826 Posts
CVT is definitely not new technology, but up until now its not been used in vehicles larger than mopeds and scooters and some car manufacturers such as Mini tried it for a couple of years and it cost them dearly and have abandoned it.
Some manufacturers seem to be lured to it as a means of squeezing out just a little more in fuel efficiency - unless they can refine these CVT / IVT's to make them more reliable I can't see them sticking around.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT
19 Posts
CVT is definitely not new technology, but up until now its not been used in vehicles larger that mopeds and scooters and some car manufacturers such as Mini tried it for a couple of years and it cost them dearly and have abandoned it.
Some manufacturers seem to be lured to it as a means of squeezing out just a little more in fuel efficiency - unless they can refine these CVT / IVT's to make them more reliable I can't see them sticking around.
I do not agree. They unfortunately are here to stay......I absolutely hate them....and it is almost impossible to purchase a car with out them these days......Most of them last just long enough that the manufactures don't have to worry...it makes them money......You fail out of warranty......you pay. Now Kia and Hyundai may run into some problems down the line with their long warranty.....I hope so....and hope they go back

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
163 Posts
CVT is definitely not new technology, but up until now it's not been used in vehicles larger that mopeds and scooters and some car manufacturers such as Mini tried it for a couple of years and it cost them dearly and have abandoned it.
My 2010 Honda Insight has a CVT Transmission, so far approx. 210K miles and never been in for any repairs. I have changed the transmission fluid twice, once at 100k and again at 200K

Maybe because it's a Honda? I'm not sure, but it seems to work like a champ. (yeah it feels like a golf cart at best, but nevertheless works)

·
Registered
2020 KIA Soul LX
2 Posts
4.5k Miles on my Kia Soul. 2020. 5 months old. Transmission slipped and failed, I was able to get it back in gear. They will fix it if they can get it to slip again dealership told me. I am considering pushing lemon law, this is a major problem to have with a brand new vehicle. Anyone else tried push this? I don't want to replace my transmission every 4.5k miles, first Kia, daily commuter, feeling like a terrible mistake.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,826 Posts
4.5k Miles on my Kia Soul. 2020. 5 months old. Transmission slipped and failed, I was able to get it back in gear. They will fix it if they can get it to slip again dealership told me. I am considering pushing lemon law, this is a major problem to have with a brand new vehicle. Anyone else tried push this? I don't want to replace my transmission every 4.5k miles, first Kia, daily commuter, feeling like a terrible mistake.

Chris
Have you checked the Lemon Law conditions, and does your issue meet those conditions?

Although I do not like the CVT's, there are reports here of owners enjoying many trouble free miles.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Soul LX
2 Posts
I have. In Illinois it need to be in the shop for 30 consecutive days or for the same issue 4 times. My problem is on a brand new vehicle under 5k miles a transmission is a major component. I don't want to be driving to work thinking about what's next to go.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
I have. In Illinois it need to be in the shop for 30 consecutive days or for the same issue 4 times. My problem is on a brand new vehicle under 5k miles a transmission is a major component. I don't want to be driving to work thinking about what's next to go.
So not in a position to attempt the Lemon Law yet.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2013 auto
140 Posts
Kia spent all that money developing the DCT 7 speed auto, which increased the turbo veloster's 1/4mi times and mpg rating. So a total win win. I remember reading an article about the DCT saying this is the route kia decided to go vs CVT. Fast forward to 2019 and it's "IVT" (CVT). Seems odd, the DCT wasn't as sporty as most other DCT from other manufactures but it was an improvement over the older 6speed auto.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
Kia spent all that money developing the DCT 7 speed auto, which increased the turbo veloster's 1/4mi times and mpg rating. So a total win win. I remember reading an article about the DCT saying this is the route kia decided to go vs CVT. Fast forward to 2019 and it's "IVT" (CVT). Seems odd, the DCT wasn't as sporty as most other DCT from other manufactures but it was an improvement over the older 6speed auto.
The DCT didn't go well for Ford.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,343 Posts
Once again, another GREAT in THEORY but BAD in real world use situation. Chrysler also had trouble with their 2015 200 and Darts!
KIA is NOT alone with trans troubles, all should have left well enough alone with designs!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul
2 Posts
The mechanic at the Kia Store I took my Soul to said this is seeming to be a common problem. Seems like a good opportunity for a recall...

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul
2 Posts
Bought my 2020 Soul in August of 2019, and it is currently having its transmission worked on, or replaced. Pretty disturbing, for sure.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
Bought my 2020 Soul in August of 2019, and it is currently having its transmission worked on, or replaced. Pretty disturbing, for sure.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts