Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sedona
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was brand new and I got 3000 miles so far. I hear ticking sound from drivers side it makes me nuts. It happens whether engine is fully warmed up or not. I can only hear below 20 mile speed. It is really noticeable. If I give it a gas slowly (below 20 mile) with windows up. And drive small and tiny streets at night. Should I take it to kia dealership ? Or it is just Normal for KIA car ?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,240 Posts
It was brand new and I got 3000 miles so far. I hear ticking sound from drivers side it makes me nuts. It happens whether engine is fully warmed up or not. I can only hear below 20 mile speed. It is really noticeable. If I give it a gas slowly (below 20 mile) with windows up. And drive small and tiny streets at night. Should I take it to kia dealership ? Or it is just Normal for KIA car ?
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
121 Posts
Not normal, IMO. My Kia is super quiet.

Does the sound increase/decrease with engine/vehicle speed? Is it possible you have, say, a loose brake shoe or a trim piece that is getting whacked or a wheel out of balance or something not related to the motor? Given that it's new, yes, I'd take it to the dealer, who can scan it. Of course, be ready for the "couldn't replicate" or "nothing wrong." If that is the case, take it to your local indie who will undoubtedly drive it around (maybe even with you) to hear the sound.

Back to possible sources: something loose in the braking system is a fairly common source of mystery sounds (not for a new car and not for this car, but still common). Keep us informed!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
377 Posts
Of course this is not normal + its driving you crazy.....take it in to the dealership. Try to record the sound on your smartphone for the write up and tech to listen to....if possible.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
791 Posts
Check for a rock stuck in one of the tire threads.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundia Tucson petrol. 2018 Hyundia i20 petrol. Never to drive a diesel again
65 Posts
You could try this. try to ignore the idiot music and the absolute waffle from this guy, but you do have to listen to him to know what to do although it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
121 Posts
I, too, finally have a weird sound. Motor sounds a bit like it needs a tune up, or as if the muffler has a whole (a very little like a '70s motor). Also, I can hear a a coolant gurgle/spritz behind the dash.

So, stuff happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
try playing with the fan speed, Mine has anoying noises especially at the lowest setting (1?) at 3-4 or at 0, I have no problems. Basically something in the dash, the blower motor probably, is making a rhythmic tic that may sound like bad engine noise, but isnt. Obviously theres the high pressure fuel infectors that tick too, especially when cold...

at 3k miles, I wouldnt worry. If something is bad with it already, it should only go worse and you will have a nice warranty claim done... If it aint bad, you wont see it get worse, and it might only be your fan, like me? Check that. In my case, my dealership is too awful for me to ask them to check the ventilation at this point. Ill get them to look if it gets worse when I'm near the end of the warranty!

Daris : if your muffler has a hole, you should be able to tell by putting your hand near the tailpipe when its just started, the air shouldnt have as much pressure... also these tend to do a lot of smoke when first started in the cold, so a quick look under might show it! If not, try to feel the flow of air along the tailpipe, if it aint too far.... As long as the hole isnt before the catalyser! (the exhaust gases before catalyser are a bit more toxic/dangerous than after). When I had an exhaust leak on my corolla I could tell it was after the EGR valve, because at cruising speed, the EGR recircultates exhaust gases in the combustion chambers, so the noise would stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts