Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sedona SX 2.0L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short version. 6 weeks ago, my 2020 Sedona started making an occasional rattle when going up inclines or making turns. One morning it rattled from the minute I pulled out of the drive. I went 2 blocks and called for a tow. Dealer service center stated it was 4.5 q low on oil. No visible or detectable leak and no code, so they attributed it to being 2k overdue for an oil change. They did the oil change and a pressure test. Pressure test was good so they released it and told me to come back in 1k miles. I did so and they supposedly did a second pressure test (I say Supposedly because they told me it would take an hour but they were done in 30 minutes) and said it was a half quart low which "is within spec" and released it again.

Fast forward to this past weekend. The rattle came back, when going uphill and making right hand turns. Then in the afternoon it added from a dead stop to it's list of times it would rattle. It sat unused yesterday. Went to work this morning and no noise. Husband came to pick me up and stated it had rattled going up hill. On the way home it rattled from dead stops and once when going a small hill. Then as we came into our neighborhood it rattled when my husband accelerated out of a turn.

Google is saying everything from loose heat Sheild to bad transmission or engine. Dealer in my town can't get us in til the 11th. Dealer in the next closest city can't get it til a week from tomorrow. And it's our only vehicle. I do have local mechanic doing a diagnostic on it Wednesday but obviously I'm freaking out.

To add to the fun, found out the dealer we purchased from failed to register our powertrain warranty. So I've been on hold for almost an hour with Kia customer care trying to get that resolved.

Any experience or ideas?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Short version. 6 weeks ago, my 2020 Sedona started making an occasional rattle when going up inclines or making turns. One morning it rattled from the minute I pulled out of the drive. I went 2 blocks and called for a tow. Dealer service center stated it was 4.5 q low on oil. No visible or detectable leak and no code, so they attributed it to being 2k overdue for an oil change.
OMG...... I couldn;t read any further than what I quoted.
Have you ever heard of vehicle maintenance? and ever opened-up your Owners Manual,,,,,, especially the page that suggests to check the oil level after every fuel fill-up?

·
Registered
2020 Sedona SX 2.0L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG...... I couldn;t read any further than what I quoted.
Have you ever heard of vehicle maintenance? and ever opened-up your Owners Manual,,,,,, especially the page that suggests to check the oil level after every fuel fill-up?
Yes. I check the oil level once a month per the Kia service writers instructions. It literally went from just below full to allegedly 4.5 qt low in 2 weeks time with no extra driving or conditions. And it's been checked at least twice a week since the dealer service had it the week of memorial day. Not been low since. I say allegedly cause everyone else I have talked to says at 4.5 qt low the engine would have seized. Also that 4.5 qt of oil doesn't just vanish there would have been an obvious leak or residue

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
222 Posts
Sedona seems to burn a little more oil than many (GDI?). That said, down 4.5 is nuts. You noted it's been refilled; have you checked the level since then?

Heat shield is (was) a very common source of rattle, although it'd be a bit of a surprised on a 2020. Do you have a local (i.e., real) mechanic? Mine is way more knowledgeable, creative, and persistent than anyone at the dealership. Could be a simple as a loose hose somewhere.

·
Registered
2020 Sedona SX 2.0L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sedona seems to burn a little more oil than many (GDI?). That said, down 4.5 is nuts. You noted it's been refilled; have you checked the level since then?

Heat shield is (was) a very common source of rattle, although it'd be a bit of a surprised on a 2020. Do you have a local (i.e., real) mechanic? Mine is way more knowledgeable, creative, and persistent than anyone at the dealership. Could be a simple as a loose hose somewhere.
Finally got it into a local mechanic yesterday. He said the noise is the timing belt. It had also lost another .75 quart since I checked it Saturday when fueling up. He said it's a known issue with Kia and is valve train related which is why there's no visible leak. To his credit he said he could do the repair but since we are within our powertrain warranty, it would be way better to have KIA do it. So we are scheduled with Kia for July 11 and keeping oil in the trunk to top it off every couple of days or as needed.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,453 Posts
Finally got it into a local mechanic yesterday. He said the noise is the timing belt. It had also lost another .75 quart since I checked it Saturday when fueling up. He said it's a known issue with Kia and is valve train related which is why there's no visible leak. To his credit he said he could do the repair but since we are within our powertrain warranty, it would be way better to have KIA do it. So we are scheduled with Kia for July 11 and keeping oil in the trunk to top it off every couple of days or as needed.
I don't believe that your Kia has a timing belt.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona LX 118k miles, 2003 Mazda Protege5 229k miles
88 Posts
I am gona ask about it being a known I ssue for our v6 to use a lot of oil. I have been around 5k to near 7k on my oil interval (ful syn) and only the one time I got to 7k was I near a qt low. that was a couple winters ago and it just would not stop raining. I am at near 120k now from 76k. It prob leaks more than burns from the oil pressure switch. Need to get the recall scheduled lol 🤷‍♂️

1 - 7 of 7 Posts