Kia Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,660 Posts
Braided wire? Not much of a heat sink, though an interesting way of dumping the waste heat that it manages to collect. I'd have thought a nice block of machined aluminum with a boatload of fins would be a better choice if you could get air on it. You have a picture of one of these contraptions? I'm having a hard time picturing a bunch of Soder-Wick as a heat sink. Seeing how they've configured it around the assembly would help to understand how it could be effective enough.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,660 Posts
Actually, I might not be. IF that's plated copper, it should do quite well as a material. If it's stainless, that sucks when it comes to thermal conductivity. Can't tell from here.
But a lot comes down to total surface area. Would have to make some assumptions about dimensions to do a good comparison.
It's certainly a design you don't see anywhere else for heat sink purposes.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento LX 3.3
15 Posts
There are several different companies making that style with different braided heat sinks using different metals. Also the length of the braided wire can vary as well as the amount of loops. 4 is most common but some have 3 and others 5. Also you should buy a rubber cover with a hole to put the braids thru.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento LX 3.3
15 Posts
It allows the braided wire to get exposed to the air moving in your engine compartment. Also allows the braids to be spread for greater cooling. If your braids are clomped up they lose cooling efficiency.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,660 Posts
So if I understand, the 'rubber cover' keeps the loops spread out so that they don't get scrunched together due to ... whatever?

·
Registered
2020 Sorento LX 3.3
15 Posts
Allows the braided wire to be open to the air for effective cooling and also prevents the braids from being compacted inside your light housing compartment.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
206 Posts
I installed two of these in my BMW motorcycles high beams - they use the later style LED's.
Good call. I ordered and installed these in H11 to replace my low beams, and they're much better than the LED's I've tried in the past.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
905 Posts
Totally disagree. Heat sink LEDs are USELESS. You NEED the fan to dissipate the heat. My LED's with fans and drivers have been running over two years with no issues (now I expect double failure tonight LOL). I tried the braided ones in my bike,, they were NOT bright.
You stated you have light bars, that is the only reason you can use those low power LED's

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3 Lt
39 Posts
I was told that if you are having a problem with a sloppy Led H7 bulb a simple fix is to slip a "0" ring on the adaptor & that tightens up the bulb to the adaptor also keep in mind not all H7 adaptor are the same..I have not purchase any led H7 as yet for my 2019 sorento..But I have contacted some of the Brand Manufacturer on Amazon & they won't a Pic of the Socket for my low beam Bulb, with that they gave me the proper Adapter# for the H7 led light that I was interested in ..Still have question which i will post later...

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.2L AWD
62 Posts
FWIW, I ordered what was supposed to be a direct fit LED for my low beams from Headlight Experts, what a joke! First off, they required an adapter, which was not provided and not mentioned. Second, there was no documentation at all provided with the bulbs, NADA. I know it doesn't take much, but since they weren't exact replacements, they could have at least mentioned the adapters. Finally, they were the snottiest bunch I've ever seen. When I questioned why they didn't mention I needed more parts, they suggested I get an "expert" to install the bulbs. At first they wanted 20% to return them, but I informed them that I'd just be taking it up with the credit card company to get a full refund. I finally got a full refund.

Next, I want to LasFit, what a difference! They made sure we verified the model and the fit, and I ordered the bulbs. When they came, they actually had a little booklet with them, which inspired some confidence. They have an adjustable collar that matches the Sorento headlight socket tabs, so you just line it up and snap them in. I then rotated them so that the LEDs were in the correct orientation in the adjustable collar, plugged them into the existing socket, and I was done in 15-20 minutes. I checked the aim and the cutoff line was exactly where the halogen beams were, looks good. I took the car for a test drive, the difference is night and day, with the "day" with the LED headlights. :)

If you're changing the lights, I do recommend checking were the stock headlights are aimed first. I put a reference line on the garage wall for each beam right at the cutoff line with the stock bulbs, then checked it with the LED bulbs installed. That makes it quick to get them into the right place if they need aiming. It turned out that the LasFit bulbs lined up exactly, so I didn't tinker with the aiming at all, and on my test drive, the aiming looks great, not up high enough to be in the oncoming traffic eyes, but enough to see well down the road with just the low beams.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts