Kia Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,584 Posts
Braided wire? Not much of a heat sink, though an interesting way of dumping the waste heat that it manages to collect. I'd have thought a nice block of machined aluminum with a boatload of fins would be a better choice if you could get air on it. You have a picture of one of these contraptions? I'm having a hard time picturing a bunch of Soder-Wick as a heat sink. Seeing how they've configured it around the assembly would help to understand how it could be effective enough.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,584 Posts
Actually, I might not be. IF that's plated copper, it should do quite well as a material. If it's stainless, that sucks when it comes to thermal conductivity. Can't tell from here.
But a lot comes down to total surface area. Would have to make some assumptions about dimensions to do a good comparison.
It's certainly a design you don't see anywhere else for heat sink purposes.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento LX 3.3
11 Posts
There are several different companies making that style with different braided heat sinks using different metals. Also the length of the braided wire can vary as well as the amount of loops. 4 is most common but some have 3 and others 5. Also you should buy a rubber cover with a hole to put the braids thru.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento LX 3.3
11 Posts
It allows the braided wire to get exposed to the air moving in your engine compartment. Also allows the braids to be spread for greater cooling. If your braids are clomped up they lose cooling efficiency.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,584 Posts
So if I understand, the 'rubber cover' keeps the loops spread out so that they don't get scrunched together due to ... whatever?

·
Registered
2020 Sorento LX 3.3
11 Posts
Allows the braided wire to be open to the air for effective cooling and also prevents the braids from being compacted inside your light housing compartment.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
198 Posts
I installed two of these in my BMW motorcycles high beams - they use the later style LED's.
Good call. I ordered and installed these in H11 to replace my low beams, and they're much better than the LED's I've tried in the past.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts