Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone knows how to access the engineering mode on the 8 inch head unit of the 2020 Kia Sportage LX, please post here for everyone to see. Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In previous years you could access engineering mode for the android settings. You could allow unknown sources so you can install any app you want and play videos but they seem to have removed it now. So I went ahead and bought a good aftermarket android player. Better off. You can do whatever you like!

·
Registered
KIa Sportage 2020 1.6 Crdi LX
6 Posts
In previous years you could access engineering mode for the android settings. You could allow unknown sources so you can install any app you want and play videos but they seem to have removed it now. So I went ahead and bought a good aftermarket android player. Better off. You can do whatever you like!
Could you share with us which good aftermarket player you bought?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,317 Posts
Could you share with us which good aftermarket player you bought?
There are a very few Android head units but the reviews on them are that they are deficient in sound quality and can't tie into the car including steering wheel controls. I've never tried one so I can't confirm this is true nor do I know what others mean by the term "sound quality". I tend to be very picky about sound quality because I listen to all types of music including classical where clarity and evenness across the sound range is important. I prefer to purchase mainstream units from the major brands on sale through outlets like Crutchfield. The other issue to consider is what modifications are needed to install these units. You may need a custom bezel and to modify the support structure. You may also need to change the speakers. This is just a warning. These units have been out for a few years now so maybe the new ones are better. Most are made in China.

I think the custom infotainment unit is going away in the future because systems will tie in better to your smartphone. If I want to run an android app right now, or video, I just do it on my phone. I have a good phone mount. I also have an Android tablet I take on trips to watch video with a full 10" screen. To me, with these options available, it's just not worth going to an Android unit. If you have an SX or EX with tech package, you already have the HK head unit which really is fairly good if played at reasonable levels. If you have an LX or EX without the HK system, I would be inclined to upgrade the head unit...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your detailed reply. In your previous message you wrote: "So I went ahead and bought a good aftermarket android player ". I thought you'll advice an accurate head unit model for upgrade. I'll try to find in the Crutchfield webshop 🤝

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a sweet one from China that's an Android 10.0, Octocore, 6GB RAM, and 128GB hard drive space, wifi, bluetooth, and looks awesome. It utilizes the steering wheel controls Ronen. Only thing is that the backup camera won't be compatible BUT you can either go to a place that knows what they're doing with electronic equipment and car stereos and have them convert the wire or you can use the backup camera that goes with the unit and install it in place of one of the license plate lights, better quality too. I will be getting it soon so can't wait to install it. It's real easy to install and direct fit!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a few pics. I'll take some more pics once it arrives and I install it. 👍

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The screen is also 1 inch larger at 9 inch! Stock screen is 8 inch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here are a few pics. I'll take some more pics once it arrives and I install it. 👍
Awesome! Just a few questions:
1. Did you buy it on Ali? if so, please attach the webshop link
2. Do you have a pinout scheme of original head unit? If so, please attach images
3. On your new player sticker printed 4/64gb, are you sure that you ordered 6/128 gb?
Thanks in advance 🤝

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1. Yes

Android 10.0 For kia Sportage 2019 2020 8Core 6G+128G Bluetooth Wifi GPS Glonass Map Car multimedia Player RDS Radio

2. I don't have the wiring diagram for the stock unit but I took pics of the back and showed the guy so he could match up the cables. No issues.

3. Haha of course, make sure you choose the right colour, there are 6 different ones.

It cost about $500 Canadian dollars, including DHL duty tax.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are 6 cables in the stock unit. Here are some pics of them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts