Kia Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage
6 Posts
I concur with the original post. Crappy yellow glow that is not indicative of a 21st century auto. Why in the world would you put LEDs in the DRLs but not headlights. I too am anxious about putting after market bulbs in due to heat, suitable factory wire rating, and proper form factor, HB3? I can't find any two websites that agree on style for the 2020 EX. Any news on all that would be welcome.
And no, adjusting them higher or lower is not an option, they are weak. Halogen is only slightly better than sticking a candle on the front. Come on Kia....

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX w/Tech
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I concur with the original post. Crappy yellow glow that is not indicative of a 21st century auto. Why in the world would you put LEDs in the DRLs but not headlights. I too am anxious about putting after market bulbs in due to heat, suitable factory wire rating, and proper form factor, HB3? I can't find any two websites that agree on style for the 2020 EX. Any news on all that would be welcome.
And no, adjusting them higher or lower is not an option, they are weak. Halogen is only slightly better than sticking a candle on the front. Come on Kia....

Thanks all!
Except these 2020 head lights--at least in the EX w/Tech package--are already LED. Check the manual and it says the replacement bulbs for headlight are LED.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage LX AWD, 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
12 Posts
Any issues with melting? Ive got a 55w set that i want to install but ive had a 35w set in my other vehicle and ended up melting the mounting point on the housing so i was afraid to try it in a brand new vehicle. Also, was that installed for the drls or high/lo?
Sorry for the late reply.

There is actually no melting on the housing for both headlights and fogs. The only thing that I noticed when the evening temperature is ultra cold at -15 celsius and below, one of the ballast for the fogs have difficulty in firing the HID bulb, thus, the fogs become BLIND but there are no error indicators from the dash. Since I have another set of 55watt ballast on stand-by, I'll replace them when the weather gets warmer, at the same time, installing some relays for both head and fog lights.

Another upgrade which I am considering after the cold season is over was to replace the HID bulbs which have a metal base HID bulbs as the bulbs I've installed were all plastic (maybe composite) material base.

The factory DRLS' for my KIA was using a 2357 ordinary bulb. I replaced this bulb with a 2357 LED's.

The HID headlights are for both LOW and HIGH BEAMS. There is a mechanical mechanism inside the headlight assembly that diverts the light beam to HIGH if I pull the light lever for high beam to pass or push for high beam to stay high.

Thanks again

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
13 Posts
The factory DRLS' for my KIA was using a 2357 ordinary bulb. I replaced this bulb with a 2357 LED's.
May I ask what LED bulbs did you use to replace the factory 2357 light bulb? I replaced them with the expensive Osram LEDriving and I get an error message everytime the engine is running (which is always).

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX Turbo | 2012 Sportage LX
79 Posts
So i took a photo of mine a few nights ago and have been trying to figure out what these 2 notches are (see photo) because they are a bit annoying.
IMG_2354.jpg

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
13 Posts
So i took a photo of mine a few nights ago and have been trying to figure out what these 2 notches are (see photo) because they are a bit annoying.
View attachment 113886
It looks like incorrect seating of light bulb or wrong type of light bulb for the housing. To my knowledge these shouldn't look like notches if your car is equipped with conventional headlights. The cut off line to the left of these notches should be lower for both left and right headlights and should align with the bottom of the notches (thus making the notches look like ramps

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
368 Posts
View attachment 113886
That looks the same as my 2020 SX with the standard LEDs.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage AWD EX Blue Premium and Tech Packages
3 Posts
2017 Kia Sportage EX AWD

The factory headlights and fog lights are adequate. I tried replacing the 9005 and 9006 halogen bulbs with LED bulbs and the fog lights triggered an error message and the headlights housing cap would not fit because the LED fan housing sticks out too far because the LED bulbs I bought are too long. So I just went and bought Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs both 9005 and 906 and replaced stock bulbs. They are a much better whiter light. Really good but not great. Like 8.5 out of 10 instead of stock 6 out of 10. The only option I could find that might be better is Murimoto LED bulbs. They say they work with no error codes and fit housing but to do both 9005 and 9006 fogs it would cost $240. I think I will hold off unless someone can post a real world super positive review of these LED's. The design of the headlights seems also seems to me as a limiting factor. Low Beam with Fogs on with Sylvania Ultra 9005 and 9006 is great. High Beam the Fogs cut out and the high beam seems to focus up and out to sides too much for my tastes. I would prefer the fog stay on and the brights to go way down road narrower than the current pattern. I do not think and bulb change will change this reflector design issue. For on the road driving the Ultra bulb 9005 9006 upgrade is more than adequate (drive with fogs on all time) and if you think it is substandard you need your eyes examined or you should stay off roads at night.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That looks the same as my 2020 SX with the standard LEDs.

Let me ask you this... does yours show a bigger notch on the driver side when you are driving in a darker area and you can see in the distance? Mine seems to have a huge 'void' on the left side (see attached photos)

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
368 Posts
I wonder if that's because of oncoming traffic?
That is a distinct possibility as the lenses on the old incandescent and halogens were designed to direct the light farther to the right than the left for that reason.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wonder if that's because of oncoming traffic?
Yeah that thought did cross my mind. A buddy of mine has the 2019 SX Turbo (Canada) and he says he has the 2 notches like i do (earlier photo i posted) but he really hasn't noticed the 'void' like in my photos but his cluster of lights are different to the mine as they changed them this year.

I guess i just have to get used to it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts